Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #41
catcalledmightymouse
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post

Do the DPC latency spikes go away too? (worth noting: the dpc latency checker is designed to be run without any system load. It's not giving you useful information if you test it under load, and the program itself will cause audio glitches if you try and run your DAW with it running.)
Drumphil - sorry to be a bit of a dunce, but I'm a bit lost with what you mean there. Are you asking whether the DPC latency spikes go away when the thr10c is plugged in vs when the UR44 is plugged in? I've been running LatencyMon with just a few word docs and a web browser open. Does that count as not under load?
catcalledmightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 AM   #42
dug dog

My UR44 is running well on Win 10 with Yamaha driver version 1.8.3.0.

While I couldn't find that driver on the Steinberg support site, there is an older version available that might be worth a try. Version 1.7.3. It doesn't say anything about it working with Win 10 but it does say Win 8, so it might work. No harm in trying.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...sb_driver.html
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #43
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post

While I couldn't find that driver on the Steinberg support site, there is an older version available that might be worth a try. Version 1.7.3. It doesn't say anything about it working with Win 10 but it does say Win 8, so it might work. No harm in trying.

Great idea Dug Dog - my UR44 used to work just fine on my old work laptop which also had Windows 10, so I'll give an old driver a shot when I get home today. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:32 AM   #44
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:

DugDog - I tried rolling back to driver version 1.7.3 as per your suggestion, but couldn't get the system to recognise that hardware/driver combo - possibly as that driver is only listed up to Win 8 (as you mentioned) and doesn't list the UR44 as a supported device.

I'm feeling a bit stuck here. I guess I will order a USB 2.0 hub from fleabay, although not holding high hopes for that fix as patching the UR44 through my port replicator (Dell WD15) which as a USB2.0 input didn't fix the issue - although I must admit that I am still unsure if that is a worthy replacement for the USB hub idea?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 AM   #45
dug dog

The fact that you eliminated the problem by using ASIO4ALL is still making me scratch my head.

Here's the driver that I'm using. I'm a bit out of my depth, so I'm not entirely certain that this is all you'll need to install it but, again, it's worth a try. EDIT: This is the 64 bit driver. If you need the 32, then let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z5zo89oso...iqY2C8Y7a?dl=0

Last edited by dug dog; 05-13-2019 at 05:24 AM.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #46
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
The fact that you eliminated the problem by using ASIO4ALL is still making me scratch my head.

Here's the driver that I'm using. I'm a bit out of my depth, so I'm not entirely certain that this is all you'll need to install it but, again, it's worth a try. EDIT: This is the 64 bit driver. If you need the 32, then let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z5zo89oso...iqY2C8Y7a?dl=0
It's got me mightily confused too Dug Dog! I really appreciate you sharing the files for that older driver. Whilst I wish I could say that solved the problem (so that I can stop annoying everyone!), I still had the same crackles/pops. I've arranged to borrow a friends interface (not sure what one yet) next week, so I guess that will at least help me isolate the issue. Super thankful for everyone's help thus far........
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #47
catcalledmightymouse

Hi All,

I'm still completely stuck with this problem unfortunately. I've tried with two different USB 2.0 hubs, but no luck there. I've tried every single suggestion that you guys helpfully posted..........but no luck at all. I've also tried running Reaper in Windows 8/7/Vista (getting desperate when you are trying Vista!!) compatibility mode........but no luck.

LatencyMon still seems to be thinking that ACPI.sys and/or Wdf01000.sys are the main culprits. I've tried disabling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery setting in device manager to resolve the ACPI.sys issue, but still no luck.

If anyone has any further advice, I'd be really appreciative.

Cheers,
Gabriel
Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #48
domzy

have you actually tried it with asio4all? I've only skimmed through the thread, but it looks like it is set up to use your internal sound. Change it to the steinberg in the asio4all advanced options (ckick the spanner icon)
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #49
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
have you actually tried it with asio4all? I've only skimmed through the thread, but it looks like it is set up to use your internal sound. Change it to the steinberg in the asio4all advanced options (ckick the spanner icon)
Hi Domzy......thanks for your thoughts. I've definitely tried it with ASI4all.

From reading further online, it appears that other Dell users are having problems with ACPI.sys

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/X...ighlight/false

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-p....413231.0.html
Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #50
JamesPeters

Try disabling the onboard audio in your BIOS. I don't know where it would be in the BIOS specifically but look for "system configuration" or "hardware configuration" etc.

If your UR44 works then, you can be more confident that the Realtek driver is what's causing the issue.

You can also try disabling your WIFI device in the BIOS. I don't know if you did that. I had mentioned disabling it before, but I wasn't specific about doing that in the BIOS. So that's another thing to try.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:11 AM   #51
1111Eugene

In reapers device options
check the ignore asio reset messages
also another one near it (pre-zero blabla), if the first one didn't help.
also check the request block size and set it to 512
check request sample rate 44100
and uncheck allow project to override

Last edited by 1111Eugene; 07-15-2019 at 04:30 AM.
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #52
drumphil

At this point, apart from the possibility of some random bit of software installed on your computer that causes issues, I think the hardware is likely to blame, and probably won't be fixed without getting a new computer.

I do know that certain intel usb 3 chipsets aren't spec compliant, and that intel has no plans to do anything about it.

Have you tried things with another computer?

Do all these problems go away if you use the same audio interface, and the same everything else except for the computer?

Or do these audio interfaces have issues with any computer? Any info about that?

Could it be something to do with a plugin? Does it happen on all projects?

Quote:
I will try and test the UR44 on a friend's laptop later this week if possible.
What were the results of that experiment?

This is a game of elimination. What circumstances have you tested and eliminated to narrow down the list?

Does the problem happen in all projects, or just ones with certain plugins?

Does it still happen if you use on board sound?

Does the problem persist if you use the same projects and audio interface on another computer?

Last edited by drumphil; 07-15-2019 at 05:18 AM.
drumphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #53
1111Eugene

it is just the driver compatibiity issue... read my previous message
also try reinstalling the drivers in windows 7 or 8 compatibiliy
if nothing helps
I suggest going back to a previous windows version
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #54
rncwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Eugene View Post
if nothing helps
1111Eugene is correct in going back to a previous version.
It's understandable that some drivers will no longer work with an update of windows. most likely the Drivers are not supported any longer by the manufacture.

I currently have one PC that has an E-mu 404 PCI sound card that will not work with 1809 or greater. Needed to go back to 1803 for it to work. No problem tho, because it's not on any network and it works just fine where it's at (OS wise).

Windows 10 is actually a very good OS, but anyone thinking that it would work forever with the Auto updates is fooling himself.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #55
1111Eugene

mine EMU 0202 is same buggy win 8.1\win 10 with latest updates
everything works fine, but smth is wrong with its asio... maybe... or not.. I still can't get it... it looks like the buffer becomes overloaded in 10 mins or so in big projects...
Old 07-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #56
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Try disabling the onboard audio in your BIOS. I don't know where it would be in the BIOS specifically but look for "system configuration" or "hardware configuration" etc.

If your UR44 works then, you can be more confident that the Realtek driver is what's causing the issue.

You can also try disabling your WIFI device in the BIOS. I don't know if you did that. I had mentioned disabling it before, but I wasn't specific about doing that in the BIOS. So that's another thing to try.
Thanks for the suggestions JamesPeters. Unfortunately, this is a work computer so I don't have access to change the bios settings.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #57
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
At this point, apart from the possibility of some random bit of software installed on your computer that causes issues, I think the hardware is likely to blame, and probably won't be fixed without getting a new computer.

I do know that certain intel usb 3 chipsets aren't spec compliant, and that intel has no plans to do anything about it.

Have you tried things with another computer?

Do all these problems go away if you use the same audio interface, and the same everything else except for the computer?

Or do these audio interfaces have issues with any computer? Any info about that?

Could it be something to do with a plugin? Does it happen on all projects?

What were the results of that experiment?

This is a game of elimination. What circumstances have you tested and eliminated to narrow down the list?

Does the problem happen in all projects, or just ones with certain plugins?

Does it still happen if you use on board sound?

Does the problem persist if you use the same projects and audio interface on another computer?
Thanks Drumpphil. I fear you may be right about the hardware issue, but I'm still hoping to find a solution. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try it on a different computer, but will endeavor to do that soon. In terms of circumstances that I have trialed - I have tried with battery and AC power and all other suggestions in earlier posts, including disabling network and other drivers.

Can you please clarify what you mean in terms of using on board sound?

With respect to plugins and projects. I have been trialing with a bare-bones project. One track, no plugins.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #58
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
In reapers device options
check the ignore asio reset messages
also another one near it (pre-zero blabla), if the first one didn't help.
also check the request block size and set it to 512
check request sample rate 44100
and uncheck allow project to override
Thanks for these suggestions 1111Eugene. I'll try those settings tonight.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #59
catcalledmightymouse

Quote:
if nothing helps
Great suggestion 1111Eugene. Can I clarify that you mean reinstalling the UR44 drivers in compatibility mode? I can't roll back to an earlier Windows version entirely as it is a work computer.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #60
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcalledmightymouse View Post
Thanks for the suggestions JamesPeters. Unfortunately, this is a work computer so I don't have access to change the bios settings.
Ok, well, best of luck. Disabling the onboard audio in the bios may be the only thing you can do. If you don't even have that as an option, and you have no other computer to use, I'm out of ideas entirely.