Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default req: Chord Markers

1st feature: Chord Markers
Just like markers - dedicated to chords, no numbering, oriented input interface, contrasting notation font, positioning

2nd: this Markers could manage/define what key snapping option displayed in midi editor, instead of media clip be forced to use 1 only scale/ chord as it is now (i think..)

3rd : scripts and extensions could use this chord markers information too

4th: inside the midi editor would be great if we could add, remove, duplicate like i show in 3rd gif below.

edit: added mockup to be more clear
edit2: (complementar)

I hope you get the idea!
Thank you!

Last edited by deeb; 04-19-2018 at 02:24 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Masi

Good idea! I like especially that you ask for conveying meaning with the markers. Much better than just plain text.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:22 AM   #3
jico27

Excellent.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
krahosk

Default Good idea

Chord markers in ME would interfere with the visibility of existing markers. Plus, there is no editable marker lane within the ME. We would have to ask for something simpler that the DEVs could implement in the line of how REAPER already manages things.

Like:

- implemeting in the manner of "contextual menu --> Identify chords in editor grid" this new feasible feature: "contextual menu --> Identify chords by degree in editor grid"

That would be a good start, because after that, since REAPER works with actions,

- Add an action that get the chord degrees according to the root key

In conjunction with the already existing various actions of note editing, it would enable everything that you're asking in your request, just by customizing a toolbar to your workflow.

Last edited by krahosk; 10-21-2017 at 07:53 AM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Chord markers in ME would interfere with the visibility of existing markers. Plus, there is no editable marker lane within the ME. We would have to ask for something simpler that the DEVs could implement in the line of how REAPER already manages things.
sorry to disagree! it would just interfere if they want too. They can add another row for this purpose on top of timeline.

My purposed functionality adds much more workflow and integration and possibilities then any identification/ action anyone might do in this direction. Instead, gives much more power for users and scripting with an accurate and flexible chord/harmony/scale system which they can rely and actually helps them straight away, specially if you take in consideration :

"2nd: this Markers could manage/define what key snapping option displayed in midi editor, instead of media clip be forced to use 1 only scale/ chord as it is now"

Thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
sorry to disagree! it would just interfere if they want too. They can add another row for this purpose on top of timeline.

My purposed functionality adds much more workflow and integration and possibilities then any identification/ action anyone might do in this direction. Instead, gives much more power for users and scripting with an accurate and flexible chord/harmony/scale system which they can rely and actually helps them straight away, specially if you take in consideration :

"2nd: this Markers could manage/define what key snapping option displayed in midi editor, instead of media clip be forced to use 1 only scale/ chord as it is now"

Thanks
Can you take the time to make a mock-up? If you can and can sort all the development details in practicality, you would shorten the development time.
Or, do you know a software that already features your idea?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
Chris Heinen

I love deeb's idea, and I see krahosk's point about it interfering with existing markers...

Perhaps have a dedicated "chords" row above/below the markers in the ME, with some sort of "refresh/resync chords from MIDI track" kind of action ???
Old 11-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
LCipher

would really love this
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:13 AM   #9
TonE

.mup text file export, come on reaper devs, for you this is a 5 mins task, as entrie lex available with the documentation, see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200114
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
.mup text file export, come on reaper devs, for you this is a 5 mins task, as entrie lex available with the documentation, see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200114
Thread hijacking sucks.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
deeb

hope!