Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt_43 View Post
Hi all, just thought I'd post that I managed to get everything working as per Yfoiler's suggestion. Worked a treat and CPU usage (having loaded 5 instances of play with one sound each) was only around 6%. Went up to about 19% when I added a reverb effect to one of the sounds.
That's a nice CPU usage, you have luck (or a quadcore)! BTW, about the reverb, do not use PLAY's convolution reverb (although it does sound sweet), but it is only useful if you're using multiple instruments in one instance, because then you can activate Master button, which shares one reverb effect with all loaded instruments, instead of instatiating multiple reverb units for each loaded instrument, which WILL eat all your CPU.

I suggest you create a new track and put it on top of all the loaded PLAY tracks. Make that track a folder, and load your favourite reverb effect on that folder track. Now all PLAY instances get the same reverb, and you save CPU!

Quote:
Can I adjust this using Plays velocity parameters? I do want the expression, but just don't want occasional dead notes or ones that are unintentionally too loud.
You can try using velocity mapping function in upper left corner of PLAY. Alternatively, your next purchase should be a weighted 88 key MIDI controller, like Studiologic VMK-188 pro.

Quote:
I switched L off and just left the ON button illuminated, but when I returned to that instance of play, L was switched back on. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and what this section is for?
When you press L or R, that decides which channel of orchestral samples (they are stereo) is going to use to widen the stereo image. Widening is achieved by slightly delaying one stereo side by a few milliseconds. So, by default, left side is used, but you can reverse that and use R side if you want. Bottom line is, one of those buttons HAS to be lit, to indicate which side is being delayed.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #42
Patakreyp

Quote:
I'm using an old Korg M1 as a MIDI keyboard and while it was fine, I did find the velocity sensitivity a little annoying. Sometimes it was so quiet that I could hear nothing; other times it was too loud. It seemed a little difficult to achieve a happy medium. Can I adjust this using Plays velocity parameters? I do want the expression, but just don't want occasional dead notes or ones that are unintentionally too loud.
Hello,

For your keyboard velocity problem, you may try to insert this VSTi before the instrument on the track (it allows you to tweak the velocity curve). Found it in this thread.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #43
EvilDragon

No need for that, PLAY has its own velocity curve editor, built right in.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #44
Walt_43

Thanks guys.

Patakreyp, although it seems I don't need that VSTi, thanks for the thread. Good to see other people having the same issue. I'll try to resolve my velocity issue using Play's parameters, as EvilDragon suggested.

EvilDragon, once again, you are a mine of information. As I'm using multiple instances of play, I had forgotten that the Master reverb button would have no effect on the other instances of Play. So your idea of a folder track (something else to find out about) sounds great. I presume Play's reverbs are not VST and that I won't be able to access them outside of Play?

Thanks for explaining the stereo and L and R buttons. Also, I will tweak the velocity params and see if I can find something that works well with my M1.

As for CPU usage, glad to hear that the figures look good. I'm using an old Dell GX620. It's a Dual Core (2.8 gHz) system. Glad to hear it's holding up well.

Thanks for all the replies.
Walt
Walt_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #45
Walt_43

By the way, does anyone know where I might get some extra track icons? It seems there are few orchestral ones missing from the default set, such 'oboe', etc.

Many thanks.
Walt
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #46
EvilDragon

Quote:
I presume Play's reverbs are not VST and that I won't be able to access them outside of Play?
Nope, unfortunately. But they are working on a standalone plugin that is going to be purely convolution reverb oriented, offering thousands of impulses. It's going to be called Quantum Leap Spaces. It's probably gonna munch the CPU, but keep an eye on it. Doug said that the price is going to be extremely popular and competitive.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #47
Walt_43

OK, nice one, ED. Sounds cool.

Thanks,
Walt
Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #48
Walt_43

Hi all, having had EWQLSO Silver and Garritan JABB3 for almost a year, I'm only getting to create an orchestra template now. So I'm using folder tracks and placing each section (strings, woodwind, etc.) in it's own folder so that I can apply a unique reverb to each section.

I'm using SIR and have been trying different impulses, but I'm still not overly happy with the sound; there's too much presence and some sounds are too sharp. One of the problems with EWQLSO Silver is that you only get one mic position and it's a close one. So the sounds are a little in-your-face, so to speak.

Can anyone recommend a good impulse response for SIR and good WET/DRY settings? Also, should I be EQ'ing just the reverb, the source sound, or both? Can anyone recommend EQ settings to take the sharpness out of the strings as I'd like the ensembles to sound a little more lush? I read somewhere that reducing the 6k-8k range can help.

If anyone has either or both of these sample libraries and found a reverb/IR/EQ that really shows them off, could they please let me know?

Many thanks,
Walt
Old 05-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #49
Walt_43

Hi Marty, just a note to say I sent you an email. No hurry with a reply, it's just that sometimes my emails get trapped by Spam filters and I wanted you to know in case you didn't receive my reply.

Cheers,
Walt
Old 05-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #50
Lowell Mather 5150

Walt don't know if you have the requisite bricasti impulses,
but there are also now true stereo bricasti's available as
well I believe. Type bricasti in reaper or google and you will
not be disappointed with results.

Just in case you are into that sort of thing, waves is having
a $25 sale on an IR-L. Also acquire reverberate le and do not
know if it is still available but search hof origami as well.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #51
Walt_43

Great post, Lowell, thanks very much. Took me a while to find the M7 impulses as searches led to mention of Acousticas, whose website seems to be gone. So for the benefit of those who might read this thread and be gagging to get their virtual hands on those impulses, here (I think) they are:
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m...lse-responses/

Here is the WAVES IR-L:
http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=270

Reverberate LE:
http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate_le.htm

And Origami:
http://www.yellowtools.com/cp21/cms/...-download.html
(apparently an older version of this required a Dongle (not i-Lok) for activation, but from what I can see, the latest version uses an e-key)

I use SIR-1 (http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html) so does anyone know if any of the above are any better? Also, is Origami a full product? $99 is very reasonable if it is.

Thanks a million, Lowell.
Walt
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #52
Lowell Mather 5150

Glad you found em Walt. Personally I like Reverberate LE over
SIR or Reaverb (not to say I never use it) but RLE just seems to
be my go to. It does have an eq section but alot of the time I
insert rea eq and go with low shelf/hi pass and/or high shelving.

Too much low mids/mids can get obnoxious and start "whistling" etc.
depending on the reverb level. I would just experiment with it
and find the sweet spot between eq and reverb level. I don't know if
this applies to orchestral mixing but depending on how many verbs
I might narrow/move the stereo field with chanmix or flux stereo tool.

Origami is indeed a full edition and Reverberate also has a couple full
edition options as well (and there's always Sir2).
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #53
Walt_43

Thanks again Lowell. I haven't used SIR-1 much and when I did, I found it 'OK'. I just don't think my ears are tuned enough for reverbs. Find it difficult to get what I want. Downloaded the demo of Quantum Leap Spaces and it was quite good, but it's hard to replicate what you hear on an orchestral soundtrack CD. I know what I want, but just find it difficult to replicate it. You're right about the EQ, though: orchestras sound like a train crash with too much low to mid-range reverb.

Am definitely going to give Reverberate LE a go. Thanks for the tip(s)!

Cheers,
Walt