Old 12-24-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
nate6
Human being with feelings

Default Pops/Clicks on MBP M1 Max

Hello all! Newbie here :-)

I've been demoing Reaper for the past few weeks on my former 2015 Macbook Pro and Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen without issue and default settings. (I've gone through the "This is Reaper 6" videos to figure out where I've got to so far).

I just upgraded to a new 14" Macbook Pro M1 Max with OSX 12.1 and installed Reaper 6.43 for macOS 10.15+ ARM64 version. I'm getting occasional pops/clicks while playing guitar/singing with stock effects that came with Reaper running. (ReaComp and ReaVerbate on vocals and Convolution Amp/Cab Modeler on guitar).

I also tried installing the Sitala plugin for drums, the x86_64 version produces tons of pops and clicks, and if I have it armed in the same project where the guitar/vocals exist, those tracks produce more occasional clicks/pops while playing.

When I open activity monitor I'm barely going past 5% CPU usage.
When I try the same setup for vocals/guitar with effects in Garage Band I get no pops/clicks whatsoever. I've tried different USB ports, unplugging everything else plugged in to the computer, closing Dropbox/Adobe.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? None of this happened on the 2015 Macbook Pro with the same settings.
Much thanks!
nate6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
mlprod

Nor sure what your problem is, but maybe try this pre release?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=261017
Old 12-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
nate6

Thanks! Gave it a shot and installed :-)
However I realize I wasn't actually using factory settings before describing the Sitala part of the issue above.

I referred to this video to tweak buffer settings after I noticed the occasional clicks/pops on guitar/vocals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-07hWqBmc

I just set my block size back to 512 and things seem to be running fine on this pre-release after about 15 minutes of playing, including the Sitala plugin.

Is there anything else I can do to get the block size down for lower latency without all the clicks/pops? If this guy on youtube can get away with block size of 64 on a 2015 MBP I'm wondering why my 2021 MBP can't.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:22 AM   #4
mlprod

After some testing I think there is a problem with real time performance in Reaper and these new MBPs. I have written to the devs to make them aware of this so they hopefully can fix it.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
nate6

Ah, I suspected that might be the issue. I'll take this as an opportunity to demo Logic in the meantime and come back to Reaper for the next release.

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-19-2022, 07:04 AM   #6
Joe Miller

Reaper seems fine here on the M1X Max 16, but only in rosetta. When running native it's a complete no go for me, getting pops and crackles playing audio sometimes sounding like it's going to completely break up and just stop playing, and this is with either the built in audio on the MBP or the RME UFX+ running up to date drivers. The gui of Reaper does a lot of hang ups and pauses where you have to wait a bit for it to come back to life. Truly confused when I see people saying the arm version is working for them, I've tested this across an M1 Air and two M1X Max 16's that I have access to and it's all the same - not really useable on the Arm64 version.
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:54 AM   #7
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
Reaper seems fine here on the M1X Max 16, but only in rosetta. When running native it's a complete no go for me, getting pops and crackles playing audio sometimes sounding like it's going to completely break up and just stop playing, and this is with either the built in audio on the MBP or the RME UFX+ running up to date drivers. The gui of Reaper does a lot of hang ups and pauses where you have to wait a bit for it to come back to life. Truly confused when I see people saying the arm version is working for them, I've tested this across an M1 Air and two M1X Max 16's that I have access to and it's all the same - not really useable on the Arm64 version.
argh, I'm about to drop a LOT of money on an macbook pro M1x if it works in Reaper as I'd presumed they would be on the ball with the arm version. It's looking like that's no the case though

Anyone else chime in here to let me know I won't be wasting my money if I want to run reaper and AA plugins on a new macbook pro m1x

M
Old 01-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
Futur8me

I have no issues at all with my MBP M1Pro running Reaper, it all works absolutely perfect.

I have only installed Apple silicon software and plugins though.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
I have no issues at all with my MBP M1Pro running Reaper, it all works absolutely perfect.

I have only installed Apple silicon software and plugins though.

thanks That's promising

M
Old 01-25-2023, 09:08 AM   #10
P. WALLACE

I got a new MBP back in decemeber and I get occasional sputters and drop outs. Not really sure why it's happening or what I can do about it but I hope the developers have some known issues and are working on it.
P. WALLACE is offline   Reply With Quote