Old 01-08-2023, 01:36 PM   #41
grinder
Human being with feelings

Hello there Serr
I am running a PC
If that helps
Yes I would rather an Atlas but if something more modern is nearly as good
and costs less well..
these days dollars are not that easy to get!
I have tried to get the Orpheus to go, the firewire card as reported is functioning as it should however the Computer tells me the software is not connecting with the Orpheus. I have good information that the FW card has the Ti chip in the plays up and I may need a VIA Chip. None in NZ of the PCIE short variety.
The MB I have is the ASUS PROART B660 and even if I get it up and running the PCIE I have the Card in may be jeopardized as I have three M2.2's one is I think from memory the PCIE the same source and I think the a M2.2 has priority, or something like that .
I would be better served I think in having either a thunderbolt or USB2
able interface.

Thanks Serr

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #42
serr

Do you have a thunderbolt port? TB to firewire adapter might be an option if so.

If the old OS install worked, I'd make an install of that and keep using it. Zero cost other than your time. I understand this can lead to not being able to install some brand new plugin at some point. The only thing you can do there is decide what's more important between a $$$$ audio interface and whatever new plugin that might be.

The other thought running through my head might be...
This thing was supposed to work with the OS in question. But it doesn't. Does that mean the issue is something else and I'd have problems with ANY audio interface until I solved the root cause? Murphy's Law suggests that would be the scenario.

Sorry, I don't really have an answer. I saw the post and the Prism and thought... wait, that's a Prism! They're expensive! And then I don't like software trying to tell me what to do.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #43
Adn_71

In my opinion the best soundcard is the one that gives you piece of mind. Cheap interfaces could have decent electronics but if the drivers are a mess, or/and they stop updating on the next OS, thats the real concern. That is i think the real first and most important point when buying a interface: how good and reliable are the drivers for your plattform. The rest is "extra". That is what you pay for a RME (in Windows at least), i dont agree that is not worth the price. I guess the situation changed but just a side note why i am so biased with RME:

After messing with "cheap" and "medium" soundcards more than 15 or so years ago and continuos problems with drivers, finally one day bought a "expensive" Digiface. Which is 2 pieces: one pci card (later a pcie) that it was shared with another model of the company, the Multiface, and the external Digiface module, which is connected with a firewire conector, but as they point out, it was not a real firewire, but using the same conector for their own protocol, so you needed a special cable from them (included of course). It was really expensive for me, but i remember the first day trying, it was the first day i realised the the excuse of the "i have problems with the soundcard" were over.

This soundcard has span through 4 OSes (w98,xp,x64,7) and 3 "workstations" (I build a good computer and try to get it working untill definatelly breaks or is really that dramatic the performance and OS too outdated), thanks to first the quality of the product, and second RME is one of the rare companys with this kind of generosity (some of their products are now totally unsuported of course). Fun fact: i am not using this wonderful dinosaur (and recently bought a digiface usb version) not because it doesnt work, or i cannot get drivers (which i can) for Windows 10, but because there is no more PCI bays in modern motherboards! (or very rare, or for servers i guess).

The only moment gave me problems was trying to connect to the actual computer (i7 9700F) with those so-called pcie to pci adaptors, tried 2 different ones, useless, after a while i had bluescreen and such. I had to try, they were more or less cheap, but too inestable and not doing ok.

So yes, when the moment arrived, i had no doubt: RME again, whatever the cost. And the drivers are so efficient and problem free that only this is unvaluable in a Windows machine especially. So i have to disagree partially with some opinions on the post around this subject, although i agree that is not always the case, and i agree that is ridiculous to buy a soundcard just thinking in that sort of elitism or for the "clients".
Adn_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #44
grinder

Hi Serr
I have a thunderbolt Header ( does that mean I have Thunderbolt in the Motherboard
I think it does? ).

The Thunderbolt in my computer if that is the case is Thunderbolt 4.
What total kit would I need to supply a chain to the header that looked neat?
Sorry I am not technically minded.
I know I can purchase Apple adapters here just do not know which ones I would need.
Sorry for my lack of understanding.

Adn_71
I would never purchase anything because of elitism ( I have not taken offense )
I enjoy fantastic things and people etc things that have been worked over and
most often time has not been paid for.
Most of all I like good things that last.
I don't think we get the real deal from reviews in audio now we are too PC as they say. I would love that (and you have written like this,) open dialogue where you
can be frank.
I have been looking at RME the word is solid... so it may be.
Interesting about soundcards. I put out a CD a long time ago with a Yamaha SW1000XG
the sound haunts me today as you say as good as any thing and only 20bit.

Thanks for your script
Grinder
Old 01-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #45
grinder

Maybe a Titan and purchase midi to usb cables?
The Titans specs as per sound are the same as an Atlas...
Grinder
Old 01-09-2023, 10:39 PM   #46
jnorman34

Grinder - IME, the two most stable audio interface makers for PCs are RME and Focusrite. I have an RME Babyface Pro FS, a focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and a focusrite Clarett 2pre - all are rock solid and sound perfect. I am not able to discern any real difference in the sound of the preamps or converters between any of the three units. The 18i8 has 4 preamps and four additional line inputs as well as ADAT in and SPDIF in/out. If you want the best budget option, you might consider the focusrite Scarlett 18i20 if you need 8 preamps, or the 18i8 if 4 pres and 4 line inputs will suffice. A bit more moneY will geT you the clarett 4pre or 8pre. All are available as either usb or FireWire, and have midi in/out. They sound the same to me. RME has more name cache at a higher cost - the fireface 802 and the fireface UFX are both solid units and sound excellent with great windows drivers and customer support.
jnorman34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:07 AM   #47
grinder

Many thanks folks for ideas and knowledge
I have ended up purchasing a used but mint Atlas.
It has what I prefer 8 in 8 out midi and if the Orpheus is anything to go by
Quality build and great sound also USB.
I have a heap of hardware (over 50 years of being a musician it mounts up).
I could not afford a brand new Atlas but saw one come up on line that was more my bracket,
the seller I reckon is wonderfully kosher I think things will be very good.
I have to wait it is coming in from overseas just have to work a lot more and look forward to making more music in the future.

Thanks all Again

Grinder
Old 01-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #48
WarrenG

I remember the engineer (Rex Reese of Polar Productions) that showed the ropes of live sound back in the early 80's. He reminded me that the Beatles started recording with a four track and it was some of their best material. It was a four track that probably has a lot less ma-cheese-mo then some of the cheapest units available today.

Make the most of what you have!

Because by comparison, with what you have you are beyond blessed.

Food for thought "Cheese"

Warren
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:19 AM   #49
grinder

I know the feeling Warren believe me
I had a porta studio made some great sounds
Then a Tascam reel to reel which I still have
I put almost everything I can into music even though
I will never be popular.
It depends a lot on what you want to do in life
not necessarily how much money you have.
I run a skimpy life I target what moves me and
forgo the normal pleasures in life...
I have known 70+ hours a week working.
In fact I am on the go from 5:30 in the morning until I crash.
Over 70 years old.I do a heap of volunteer labour.

I run a skimpy ship big garden etc etc etc
Just because a person goes for quality
does not mean they earn the big dollars.
Just a snippet from the life of me
I am not in the big money brigade.
By the way no worries here
Things are not always how you think of them.

Take care out there.

Grinder
Old 01-10-2023, 10:29 AM   #50
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Hi Serr
I have a thunderbolt Header ( does that mean I have Thunderbolt in the Motherboard
I think it does? ).

The Thunderbolt in my computer if that is the case is Thunderbolt 4.
What total kit would I need to supply a chain to the header that looked neat?
Sorry I am not technically minded.
I know I can purchase Apple adapters here just do not know which ones I would need.
Sorry for my lack of understanding.
That sounds like your logic board is TB capable but you need to add it as a pci extension? Maybe simpler question... There isn't a TB port already there to plug into?

That could get dicey and possibly more expensive than replacing the firewire card. TB is a minefield if not native. Usual advice is "Give up now." I was thinking more of simple to try TB if already an option. A firewire card would be a fraction of the value of that audio interface. That's what I'd go after. That interface looks like the piece of gear in the room that gets to tell all the others what to do, not the other way around.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:33 AM   #51
WarrenG

For sure!

I have seen some of the dirt poorest musicians produce some of the best music.

Where your heart is is where your life shines brightest.

All the best, friends.

Warren

Sorry seems as I am waxing elephants today. :P

Last edited by WarrenG; 01-10-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:33 PM   #52
fmL

i use Metric Halo 3d upgraded and the pre's are hard to beat.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:30 PM   #53
WarrenG

Not that anyone is supposed to give a rip but.

Been using two of the RME HDSP9652 interfaces connected to a bunch of Behringer ADA8K units and two Tascam MX2424's all locked to Timecode and SMPTE. 48 in 48 out plus SPDIF. Using this setup for years, very solid and relatively inexpensive when purchased used. The sound, well had no complaints. Used it live and for studio.
So I don't mind ADAT at all, are there better options you bet but maybe not for the cost. Kind of piece milled this setup together over a time.

W
Old 01-10-2023, 02:56 PM   #54
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
Not that anyone is supposed to give a rip but.

Been using two of the RME HDSP9652 interfaces connected to a bunch of Behringer ADA8K units and two Tascam MX2424's all locked to Timecode and SMPTE. 48 in 48 out plus SPDIF. Using this setup for years, very solid and relatively inexpensive when purchased used. The sound, well had no complaints. Used it live and for studio.
So I don't mind ADAT at all, are there better options you bet but maybe not for the cost. Kind of piece milled this setup together over a time.

W
Good stuff right there! 48 channels in and out? Heck, you could probably mic and record a full orchestra with that! 24-bit, 48kHz times 48 channels is around 56 Mbps sustained, pretty high constant throughput for the older hard drive models...

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 01-10-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:02 PM   #55
WarrenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Good stuff right there! 48 channels in and out? Heck, you could probably mic and record a full orchestra with that! 24-bit, 48kHz times 48 channels is around 56 Mbps, a pretty decent throughput for the older hard drive models...
All SSD
W
Old 01-10-2023, 03:26 PM   #56
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
All SSD
W
Noice
Old 01-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #57
Lynx_TWO

As far as recording with a computer - external interfaces are usually a better option (lower noise, no interference from your GPU, etc)

A friend and I went halves on a Tascam Model 24 (upgraded from an old Korg unit and the difference in sound quality is huge!) - it's about $1,000 but probably one of, if not the most, bang for the buck unit. You can also use it without a PC which is very handy, and it has built-in EQ and Compression (which we never use unless using the unit for mixing live sound, such as an entire band, since all that gets done in post). The measured noise floor from my tests is 123dB down from 0, so your microphones will dictate the noise floor. 24-bit, 48kHz, so all you need unless you just have to have a higher sample rate.

https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/top

Highly recommended.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #58
grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
That sounds like your logic board is TB capable but you need to add it as a pci extension? Maybe simpler question... There isn't a TB port already there to plug into?

That could get dicey and possibly more expensive than replacing the firewire card. TB is a minefield if not native. Usual advice is "Give up now." I was thinking more of simple to try TB if already an option. A firewire card would be a fraction of the value of that audio interface. That's what I'd go after. That interface looks like the piece of gear in the room that gets to tell all the others what to do, not the other way around.
Hi Serr
Yes there is a TB header and I guess that is it just add an extension on it and I would have thunderbolt I suppose.
I will get the lot sorted for USB then think on it research and if I can
use TB.
Best
Grinder
Old 01-22-2023, 02:25 PM   #59
grinder

Got the Orpheus working due to advice from Prism Sound oh and their e-mails were going missing...
Prism sound recommended a firewire card running with a TI Chipset XIO2213B.
Installing went so smooth on windows 11.
Yes I have two interfaces now but who can be disappointed the Atlas is in the air at this time I am looking forward to getting back to audio.

Thanks people
Grinder