https://youtu.be/uXb4jeBpqyc
Old 03-03-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
NowoTone
Human being with feelings

Can’t wait for mine
Old 03-05-2023, 03:02 AM   #3
Softsynth

I've been following the development for years. It looks great.
I'm guessing a more robust version would be required for gigging and moderately heavy dynamic playing.
Looking at the comments section I don't actually think it's cheap, it's priced about right for cutting edge features but lightweight flimsy action.

My concern would be it looks perhaps too lightweight, too delicate. Too easy to trigger and uncontrollably bend notes with vibration precisely - there's only so much you can do to compensate for this sort of issue in software. The polar opposite of most mono aftertouch for instance, which often requires a physically painful amount of pressure to engage!

The key action looks more appealing than Seaboard rubber. Time will tell which is more robust.
I might get one at some point, it looks like it needs to be treated with kid gloves though.

I would prefer a cheaper controller only, don't need the built-in synth engine.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:36 AM   #4
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I've been following the development for years. It looks great.
I'm guessing a more robust version would be required for gigging and moderately heavy dynamic playing.
Looking at the comments section I don't actually think it's cheap, it's priced about right for cutting edge features but lightweight flimsy action.

My concern would be it looks perhaps too lightweight, too delicate. Too easy to trigger and uncontrollably bend notes with vibration precisely - there's only so much you can do to compensate for this sort of issue in software. The polar opposite of most mono aftertouch for instance, which often requires a physically painful amount of pressure to engage!

The key action looks more appealing than Seaboard rubber. Time will tell which is more robust.
I might get one at some point, it looks like it needs to be treated with kid gloves though.

I would prefer a cheaper controller only, don't need the built-in synth engine.
At 19min this guy addresses some of your concerns ie is it robost?

Old 03-05-2023, 03:57 AM   #5
bob

His videos are really good. Sounds amazing this keyboard.

Old 03-05-2023, 04:24 AM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
At 19min this guy addresses some of your concerns ie is it robost?

He echoed or confirmed my concerns. He offered no solutions other than to suggest using it sparingly.

I like my little Seaboard with significant reservations. The longevity of that controller's rubbery surface is concern too. The main bugbear to me though is the insistence of wireless portability nonsense. I don't want a lithium battery that will inevitably fail in a keyboard!!!
Also the dark rubber gets covered in skin debris.

This Osmose design is possibly going in a better direction with traditional looking keys, if it doesn't fall apart.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:04 AM   #7
Softsynth

Last edited by Softsynth; 03-06-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #8
Fleeesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
He echoed or confirmed my concerns. He offered no solutions other than to suggest using it sparingly.

I like my little Seaboard with significant reservations. The longevity of that controller's rubbery surface is concern too. The main bugbear to me though is the insistence of wireless portability nonsense. I don't want a lithium battery that will inevitably fail in a keyboard!!!
Also the dark rubber gets covered in skin debris.

This Osmose design is possibly going in a better direction with traditional looking keys, if it doesn't fall apart.
Never understood that design decision to cast a whole device in rubber. Maybe it's cheaper in production. Looks neat, but it makes repairability next to impossible. If the device needs battery power you're basicially getting it with an expiration date. Big No-No since a SeaBoard is more of an instrument than a controller.

I really hope they're going to share some background info of the Osmose, or at least someone might manage to disassemble it. The only video about the SeaBoard I've found was one where a bunch maniacs that managed to violently cut it open with a box cutter.
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:33 AM   #9
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeesch View Post
Never understood that design decision to cast a whole device in rubber. Maybe it's cheaper in production. Looks neat, but it makes repairability next to impossible. If the device needs battery power you're basicially getting it with an expiration date. Big No-No since a SeaBoard is more of an instrument than a controller.

I really hope they're going to share some background info of the Osmose, or at least someone might manage to disassemble it. The only video about the SeaBoard I've found was one where a bunch maniacs that managed to violently cut it open with a box cutter.
Seaboard works on usb power or battery but I wish that it didn't have to have lithium Bluetooth nonsense at all.
It don't know what happens when the battery dies completely. Whether or not it will soldier on happily without it I don't know.

Indeed the rubbery playing surface is not replaceable. I would expect it to outlast a lithium battery though, provided the the keyboard didn't live exposed to the sunlight too near a window. I guess too much UV exposure might take a few years off the life expectancy.

It's a nice tactile material. It needs constantly cleaning not to look filthy - even with regularly cleaned hands.

Yes I'd love to see inside Osmose.

Last edited by Softsynth; 03-06-2023 at 08:45 AM.