Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-23-2023, 10:10 AM   #41
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitfold View Post
When I say Linux (as an OS) I mean the whole ecosystem. Semantics don't make maintaining packages for it any easier.
Companies like U-He, OverTone DSP, Harrison, and Modartt get my money and developers who only cater to Win/Mac don't. Since switching exclusively to Linux going on five years ago, I have purchased many native Linux plugins, and zero Windows plugins.

The few Windows plugins I use, I bought when I was running Windows, and now use them bridged, but I will NEVER spend another dime on a Windows plugin. I will not support vendors who do not support the OS I choose to use.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #42
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
With CLAP, VST3 and Flatpaks they don't have an excuse anymore, so good riddance.
You should spend some time looking into how plugins are coded. Linux CLAP, VST3 and Flatpaks don't just fall from trees (and especially those with GUIs). Back to the "lazy" labelling again, it seems. It requires work (and ongoing work through support) that is frankly a waste of time and effort with very little return for companies with such huge Win/Mac user bases. So, yes, they certainly do have "excuses" and I would call them "business models" that they will have carefully thought through.

Why can't we just enjoy our native Linux plugins and also respect those who choose to continue using bridged plugins because there is no equivalent or because the plugins are are just objectively better quality (reverbs, for example)? Everyone seems perfectly content when things are working. I respect people who say they won't spend another penny on non-Linux developers but draw the line when developers are called "lazy" and are expected to dance to a user's individual tune because their toys suddenly stopped working through no fault of the developer. It's like complaining your book fell apart because you tried to read it underwater. It's a miracle these windows plugins even run on Linux. Nowhere in the license agreements does it say they are even guaranteed to run let alone be supported in such an environment.

Last edited by chmaha; 01-23-2023 at 11:15 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:41 AM   #43
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
You should spend some time looking into how plugins are coded. Linux CLAP, VST3 and Flatpaks don't just fall from trees (and especially those with GUIs). Back to the "lazy" labelling again, it seems. ...
I agree, and it's why I modified my original rant to be directed to the Windows- and Mac-only plugins + lazy developers (which are not all of them, of course). My original rant was inconsiderate, I chose to keep it so that the whole thread makes sense.

Anyway, if developers want my money (however little it is in the 'sea' of clients), they will have to develop Linux-compatible plugins.

To demonstrate that I'm serious, I recently transitioned from FL Studio to Reaper. I paid around EUR 600 - 700 to Image-Line (FL Studio + plugins and packs) over the years in total, and yet I basically threw that down the drain because they stubbornly refuse to do a Linux binary. If EUR 700 from me alone is not enough to pay for that (and let's say there's about 100 Linux people willing to pay the same total amount of money for their products, and believe me, there is), then I think it is laziness and/or stubbornness and/or bias in question. For example, they said that they will 'consider' creating a Linux binary when Linux desktop users reach 10%. By contrast, not even Mac reaches 10% yet they decided to do a Mac-compatible binary (not a wrapper, but a fully-fledged render, which they also redid for ARM Macs recently). This is either laziness, boneheadedness, or pure bias against Linux, which I'm not going to tolerate anymore.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #44
Glennbo

Kontakt is my go to plugin for anything that isn't bass, drums, or guitars, and while it is my favorite plugin for other instruments like brass, woodwinds, and strings, I won't buy any new libraries for it, because Linux isn't a supported OS.

I coded applications specifically for Windows for 28 years, and the customers for the company I worked for would occasionally get requests for a Linux version, and while the database we used was compatible with Linux, things like probing the network for Windows shares, and interfacing with hardware like RFID encoding printers, would have been a total re-write to make it work in Linux.

I understand why Native Instruments has no interest in porting Kontakt to Linux, and I don't dislike them for it. They just won't get any more money from me, coz I'm only voting Linux with my dollars now.

If Kontakt were to stop working permanently in Linux, I would switch to LinuxSampler, and use some really great sounding E-Mu samples I already have for brass, woodwinds, and strings. The fact that I'm getting more miles out of Kontakt than I ever expected when I switched exclusively to Linux 5 years ago, makes me feel like I got my money's worth. Hehe, I only paid $109 for the full version of Kontakt 5 using the free Sennheiser drums plus Black Friday trick.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #45
chmaha

Quote:
I agree, and it's why I modified my original rant to be directed to the Windows- and Mac-only plugins + lazy developers (which are not all of them, of course)...

...This is either laziness, boneheadedness, or pure bias against Linux, which I'm not going to tolerate anymore.
I don't think you can call anyone with the drive to create original plugins on multiple platforms "lazy"! Sounds more like you are expecting something that they as a company have made a sound decision not to pursue.

Neither could I ever categorize a plugin or application developer as "boneheaded". If you can program in languages like C++ and understand the DSP to code software of excellent quality (such as FL Studio) they are certainly not stupid.

"Pure bias against Linux" is probably nothing of the sort. They probably even code on Linux machines. What you are detecting is the result of carefully thought out business models with regard their current and projected time, resources and knowledge base to develop for, and then support, Linux which is nowhere near as simple as on Windows or MacOS.

Last edited by chmaha; 01-23-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:23 PM   #46
/AND/

Well, you know, software developers probably run (free) Linux because it is very good for software development, their websites are most probably hosted on Linux server distros (which are free), they use a plethora of open source programs such as Atom and VS Code.

Yet when they need to contribute back to the Linux/BSD/FOSS ecosystem (because, you know, it won't develop and improve itself as of yet, someone has to dedicate time and money to bring you that distro so you can download it for free - we'll see what ChatGPT and the like bring), they refuse on the basis of no significant enough returns. Even though many of them would not have probably made it as software developers if they had to pay for all the tools they had at their disposal for free with no strings attached (e.g. paying with your data). (BTW I know that many of them do contribute to Linux and other FOSS software, so those are not lazy developers by my definition)

So, I am calling (some of) them lazy and stubborn and biased. But we can let it go, of course. I already did, and my decision is set. I'm not a developer and don't have the time to learn that, but I will stimulate development and show appreciation with my money and the products and services I produce using Linux and FOSS (and even proprietary but Linux-compatible) software.

EDIT: stubborn / boneheaded is not equal to stupid, I don't make this equivalence.

Last edited by /AND/; 01-23-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:33 PM   #47
chmaha

Quote:
So, I am calling (some of) them lazy and stubborn and biased. But we can let it go, of course. I already did, and my decision is set.
The issue, I'm afraid, is that your arguments are far from sound and demonstrate a lack of understanding when it comes to business models and what goes into producing a DAW like FL Studio (or REAPER, Samplitude etc) or plugins like Liquidsonics, Valhalla etc. I'd guarantee that before any of these companies "go Linux", they will have been able to commit to the hours/money required to port, factor the extra hours/money into any future development, the hours/money required to support on all manner of distros and with a solid business projection that doing so would result in a Linux user base that would bring them profit.

FYI: "(very) stupid" is the very definition of "boneheaded". Perhaps be more careful with your word choices. In any case, it's not the only derogatory language you have been using.

Perhaps we should all act like there are potential Linux audio developers visiting these forums (I know they do!). Would they be favorable to creating for Linux based on these attitudes and this labelling? I wouldn't want them to pull the plug(in) at the market research stage

Last edited by chmaha; 01-23-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:02 PM   #48
/AND/

Quote:
I'd guarantee that before any of these companies "go Linux", they will have been able to commit to the hours/money required to port, factor the extra hours/money into any future development, the hours/money required to support on all manner of distros and with a solid business projection that doing so would result in a Linux user base that would bring them profit.
Listen, I am not a developer and I'm aware that, just as in any complex business, it is very hard to sustainably develop something. But then again, how do Reaper, BitWig, Zrythm, Tracktion Waveform and Ardour do it? Yesterday I checked Ardour's monthly goal for donations + payments, and the monthly goal was reached about 2/3 into the month. It was about EUR 5K AFAIR. Split by two developers, that's EUR 2.5K per developer per month. Not bad at all. So, it IS doable.

(OK, FL Studio's core is done in Pascal (and assembler), which doesn't have an outright Mac nor Linux port, so I understand the reluctance to convert the code. Then again, they did it already for Mac so...)

Quote:

FYI: "(very) stupid" is the very definition of "boneheaded". Perhaps be more careful with your word choices. In any case, it's not the only derogatory language you have been using.
English is not my native language, I thought boneheaded meant stubborn, not stupid. Sorry for those offended, didn't mean to say stupid, just stubborn. As for the rest of my 'derogatory' language, well, I don't think it is derogatory to be frank.

Quote:

Perhaps we should all act like there are potential Linux audio developers visiting these forums (I know they do!). Would they be favorable to creating for Linux based on these attitudes and this labelling? I wouldn't want them to pull the plug(in) at the market research stage
Let them post their stuff and ask for donations/payment, I will be sure to support them if I need what they develop. But sure, there's no need of milking the discussion anyway.

Last edited by /AND/; 01-23-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:13 PM   #49
chmaha

Quote:
Yesterday I checked Ardour's monthly goal for donations + payments, and the monthly goal was reached about 2/3 into the month. It was about EUR 5K AFAIR. Split by two developers, that's EUR 2.5K per a developer per month. Not bad at all. So, it IS doable.
Massive sidetrack but Ardour is a weird case. They are open source but put all their binaries behind a paywall. Linux users are free to compile themselves (easy to moderately difficult depending on the distro) but Windows and MacOS users are pretty much out of luck. So, you have an open source DAW that is almost impossible to build on the two major platforms and the official binaries cost money. While it is perfectly within the bounds of GPL etc, it's not my standard of what open source software should be about. Indeed, I can't think of another like it. And that's why I ended up sticking with REAPER on Linux. It's closed source but the community is amazing, the developers are brilliant/down-to-earth and the software allows me to create classical music scripts on top of it that feel like an integrated part of the DAW. In many ways it feels more like open source community/development than actual open source software That's my personal ode to REAPER...It's just so much fun.

I appreciate that English isn't your first language. No worries there. On the rest, shall we just agree to disagree?
Old 01-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #50
michael diemer

Quote:
I have also reserved a certain amount of yearly funds to donate to Linux/FOSS projects that I use, to help them thrive.
Awesome. I also donate here and there. that reminds me, I need to donate to Linux Mint. I never have, and it's working great for me. Also, LinVST. But I don't know how. anybody know how to do that?
Old 01-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #51
michael diemer

Quote:
You should spend some time looking into how plugins are coded. Linux CLAP, VST3 and Flatpaks don't just fall from trees (and especially those with GUIs). Back to the "lazy" labelling again, it seems. It requires work (and ongoing work through support) that is frankly a waste of time and effort with very little return for companies with such huge Win/Mac user bases. So, yes, they certainly do have "excuses" and I would call them "business models" that they will have carefully thought through.

Why can't we just enjoy our native Linux plugins and also respect those who choose to continue using bridged plugins because there is no equivalent or because the plugins are are just objectively better quality (reverbs, for example)? Everyone seems perfectly content when things are working. I respect people who say they won't spend another penny on non-Linux developers but draw the line when developers are called "lazy" and are expected to dance to a user's individual tune because their toys suddenly stopped working through no fault of the developer. It's like complaining your book fell apart because you tried to read it underwater. It's a miracle these windows plugins even run on Linux. Nowhere in the license agreements does it say they are even guaranteed to run let alone be supported in such an environment.
Great points. We often lose sight of just how wonky we are. The average person on Windows or Mac, doing music, would just roll their eyes and say, the hell with that, I'll stay with what I have. It takes a particular kind of feisty, grandiose and somewhat don Quixote-ish nerd to do what we do.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:58 PM   #52
/AND/

Quote:
Massive sidetrack but Ardour is a weird case. ... Indeed, I can't think of another like it.
Zrythm is such. Zorin OS 'Pro' is similar. Tracktion Waveform has something similar: the basic program is free, but if you want you can upgrade it with packs.

Quote:
On the rest, shall we just agree to disagree?
Yes, I extend my hand.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:59 PM   #53
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Great points. We often lose sight of just how wonky we are. The average person on Windows or Mac, doing music, would just roll their eyes and say, the hell with that, I'll stay with what I have. It takes a particular kind of feisty, grandiose and somewhat don Quixote-ish nerd to do what we do.
I agree. It takes a special kind of character to suffer through masochistic hell in order to jump to Linux and then try to make Windows programs work for it
Old 01-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #54
foxAsteria

Quote:
I agree. It takes a special kind of character to suffer through masochistic hell in order to jump to Linux and then try to make Windows programs work for it
It's less and less painful all the time but still early days of the Linux revolution...we'll get there; congrats on your bravery. I for one think it's worth the trouble.

Not that setting up yabridge is much trouble...I've got close to 2000 windows plugins and encountered very few that won't run (tho obviously I haven't tried all of them).
Old 01-24-2023, 04:35 PM   #55
4duhwinnn

Quote:
I updated my Wine and the locale broke. Now I can't run yabridge, which means that I can't open a particular project I'm working on until I find a fix. This is the third time.

The only reason I have yabridge and Wine is because I run a few Windows plugins, because developers didn't make Linux versions. Not anymore. Scr*w Windows-only and Mac-only plugin developers. I'm not using nor paying for their plugins anymore from this moment on, until they release a Linux version. They have CLAP, they have VST3 extensions for Linux, they are just goddamn lazy, and I had enough of their laziness. I'm going to be using exclusively Linux-compatible plugins from now on, and sample some Windows ones before I throw them away, will break their copyright, scr*w them.

Sorry for the rant.
It's both trivial and wise these days for a linux based musician to keep 3 or 4 linux distros up and running, and since AVLinux comes with yabridge and wine fully functional, even more trivial to keep multiples of that on hand. Only update one of them at a time.

A few devs have build-services to release across platforms, and I doubt they'd refuse a 'competing' dev's request for advice etc. I think a dev posting
new linux versions, can just release a debian version, with the admonition that support come from the linux community, since a financial reward won't be huge at this point. This is often the case anyway.

U-he provide great installers (bash install.sh) and excellent support, above and beyond the call of duty!

AVLinux also has great support in various locations.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:10 PM   #56
audiojunkie

Quote:
I agree, and it's why I modified my original rant to be directed to the Windows- and Mac-only plugins + lazy developers (which are not all of them, of course). My original rant was inconsiderate, I chose to keep it so that the whole thread makes sense.

Anyway, if developers want my money (however little it is in the 'sea' of clients), they will have to develop Linux-compatible plugins.

To demonstrate that I'm serious, I recently transitioned from FL Studio to Reaper. I paid around EUR 600 - 700 to Image-Line (FL Studio + plugins and packs) over the years in total, and yet I basically threw that down the drain because they stubbornly refuse to do a Linux binary. If EUR 700 from me alone is not enough to pay for that (and let's say there's about 100 Linux people willing to pay the same total amount of money for their products, and believe me, there is), then I think it is laziness and/or stubbornness and/or bias in question. For example, they said that they will 'consider' creating a Linux binary when Linux desktop users reach 10%. By contrast, not even Mac reaches 10% yet they decided to do a Mac-compatible binary (not a wrapper, but a fully-fledged render, which they also redid for ARM Macs recently). This is either laziness, boneheadedness, or pure bias against Linux, which I'm not going to tolerate anymore.
I've been doing computer based music since the 90s. You wouldn't believe the Windows software I've abandoned along the way--and that includes Imageline as well. Imageline lost their way a while ago, in my opinion. I've still got all of this software on backup disks all the way back to before Cakewalk Sonar. I believe it used to be called Cakewalk Pro Audio back then. That was the days of DX plugins. Sometimes it's better to let it go and forget the past.
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #57
4duhwinnn

I was able to load my dx version of Cakewalk Rapture a while back. I also enjoy the z3ta 1.5 vst, and I need to get my Dimension Pro registered in a linux for sfz and it's synth capabilities....all still very competetive, with many preset banks.

I think an old dx version of synth1 will still work in reaper, for the curious.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:41 PM   #58
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I've been doing computer based music since the 90s.
My first computer based setup in 1984 was a Commodore SX64 (the briefcase version of a C64) With Sequential Circuits Model 64 midi sequencer, plus Sequential Circuits Drumtraks and SixTrak multi-timbral synthesizer. My setup was just like this pic, except my SixTrak synth was smaller, and was multi-timbral. The sequencer software was on an EEPROM built into the midi interface. You could print an audio clock from the DrumTraks to a multi-track Tape recorder, and then read it back in through the midi interface to synchronize midi sequenced tracks with multi-track tape audio tracks. You lost one audio track, but gained an entire midi orchestra.

Edit: Some trivia. The EEPROM based sequencing software on the midi interface card in the briefcase computer was written by Tim Ryan,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Ryan_(engineer))

who also wrote the midi sequencing software "Studio One" for the C64/SX64, which I bought, and then he later created the company "MidiMan" which later became M-Audio.

My main midi keyboard today is a MidiMan Keystation 61 that I bought in 1999.

Quote:
You wouldn't believe the Windows software I've abandoned along the way--and that includes Imageline as well. Imageline lost their way a while ago, in my opinion. I've still got all of this software on backup disks all the way back to before Cakewalk Sonar. I believe it used to be called Cakewalk Pro Audio back then. That was the days of DX plugins. Sometimes it's better to let it go and forget the past.
Since those days, I moved to Cakewalk (before it had audio), then to the audio versions like Pro Audio and Sonar. When I switched to REAPER, I was still running 32 bit Windows, so all my DX plugins still worked. I was bummed when I went 64 bit Windows and Timeworks CompressorX no longer worked.

I got over it pretty quick and bought both Waves DBX160 and PSP Vintage Warmer, but then I went to Linux, and while the PSP Vintage Warmer works fine bridged, I opted to buy U-He's Presswerk so I'd have a native Linux plugin with some vintage sounding saturation.

I no longer use any Windows plugins for audio tracks, and have found equal or better native Linux plugins. Virtual instrument plugins is another story though. I use Kontakt a lot, and every project I do starts with a scratch drum beat on Superior Drummer 2 to use as a metronome until I record the real acoustic drums.

Prolly got thousands of dollars of software that I no longer use, but I got the miles out of them when I was using them. I learned when I switched to Linux that I wasn't married to my plugins, and was ready to chuck them all, but as fate would have it there was LinVST and I was able to continue using some of the ones that really have no Linux equivalent like Kontakt or Superior Drummer.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-24-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #59
michael diemer

I started with Cakewalk Home Studio 6, "Music software for Windows 95" - I still have the manual, 450 pages long. My keyboard also goes back to that time. It's called The Master Key from Studio 49. As in 49 keys. just midi, no onboard sounds. It has a midi-in and a midi-out. Plus an off/on switch. that's it. but it fits so nicely on my desk that I just can't get rid of it, and it does what it's supposed to do.

That seems so long ago, but it's really not. It's just the rapid rate of change that makes it seem that way. Mostly the change has been good, but I fear the future may see the death of real creativity, as people adopt AI. We will then have people with zero musical ability creating symphonies, and believing they are actually gifted composers. I'm just glad I was born in another world.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #60
DuX

I enjoy reading your posts audiojunkie and Glennbo. The reason is laziness. lol When you post something, especially considering oldschool gear and soft, there's no reason for me to post anything.

I also started in the early 90s with Atari and Cubase. Now churning out tunes with only native Linux plugins and Reaper. There was a couple of years period in the early 2010s when I used Windows for making music and Linux for Internet and daily stuff, but as I realised there's enough plugins to do everything in Linux, I just stopped booting into Windows. It also helped when they released W8, W10 and W11 abominations... I've totally lost Microsh** from my radar. Nowadays I get more usage from my 2013 MacBook with Mojave

One more thing: I discovered that having less plugins makes me work faster and being more productive. I stick to mostly u-he, TAL, Audio Damage, Airwindows and Cockos + JS plugins. It's more than enough. I also don't support any Win+Mac only plugin developers anymore. Rather buy or donate to these rare Linux developers.

If it wasn't for u-he, I'd be still making music in Windows, though... u-he supporting Linux is a huge thing for me. TAL too.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-01-2023 at 03:13 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:15 PM   #61
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I enjoy reading your posts audiojunkie and Glennbo. The reason is laziness. lol When you post something, especially considering oldschool gear and soft, there's no reason for me to post anything.

I also started in the early 90s with Atari and Cubase. Now churning out tunes with only native Linux plugins and Reaper. There was a couple of years period in the early 2010s when I used Windows for making music and Linux for Internet and daily stuff, but as I realised there's enough plugins to do everything in Linux, I just stopped booting into Windows. It also helped when they released W10 and W11 abominations...

Just one more thing: I discovered that having less plugins makes me work faster and being more productive. I stick to mostly u-he, TAL, Audio Damage, Airwindows and Cockos + JS plugins. It's more than enough. I also don't support any Win+Mac only plugin developers anymore. Rather buy or donate to these rare Linux developers.

If it wasn't for u-he, I'd be still making music in Windows, though... u-he supporting Linux is a huge thing for me. TAL too.

Cheers!
When I was transitioning from multitrack tape to computer I was first sync'ing midi only sequencing on computer with multi-track audio on analog tape, but then Cakewalk added audio recording, which changed the game for me.

I had sold my 1" Ampex AG440B-8 and Carvin MX1688 several months before Cakewalk Pro Audio, because I saw the writing on the wall.

I use U-He's Presswerk extensively on pretty much every project I create in Linux.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #62
Time Waster

The first computer based music I did was in the mid 90's on a Mac. I started off using a program called Midigraphy, and I used it with the built in General MIDI sounds in the Mac. Later I found Protools Free. Yes, Protools had a free version for a while (eight tracks only), which ran on Mac up until OS9, pre OSX. I coveted the integrated Protools Mac hardware system. Luckily, I couldn't afford it.

The music for the song linked below was done using Midigraphy, including the echo effects which were all done using MIDI. I assume I added the vocals in Protools free, but I can't remember to be honest.

https://soundcloud.com/thewastersoft...social_sharing

So, we can complain about system non compliant plugins now, but back then there weren't any.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:01 PM   #63
michael diemer

I think that what upsets people about this situation is not that companies don't bother to make their software Linux capable; it's quite understandable why they don't: it doesn't make sense financially. Rather, at least for me, it's that we are dealing with virtual monopolies here, and the government does nothing about it. And it hurts consumers. So what is going on? Why does the government break up Ma Bell, or the railroads (to really go back in time), but not Big Tech? microsoft has been getting away with the cyber equivalent of murder for decades. What gives? What is special about them? How is this different? I just don't compute this...
Old 02-01-2023, 06:47 PM   #64
Glennbo

Quote:
I think that what upsets people about this situation is not that companies don't bother to make their software Linux capable; it's quite understandable why they don't: it doesn't make sense financially. Rather, at least for me, it's that we are dealing with virtual monopolies here,
Then you got Crumar, who made the plugin version of their vintage "Performer" hardware *free*, but only to Linux users.

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41

Windows and Mac users have to pay almost a hundred bucks, but it's free to us Linux users.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:49 PM   #65
Time Waster

Quote:
...and the government does nothing about it...
Ahh, so it's the government's fault that we can't get native Linux plugins. I should have known.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #66
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Ahh, so it's the government's fault that we can't get native Linux plugins. I should have known.
What about teh sooper sekret government plugins?

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2705/

Yeah, it's available for Win and Mac, but they also include a native Linux version.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #67
PMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Then you got Crumar, who made the plugin version of their vintage "Performer" hardware *free*, but only to Linux users.

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41

Windows and Mac users have to pay almost a hundred bucks, but it's free to us Linux users.
Let's not forget FIRComp2. A great plugin that's $$ for Mac and Win, but free for our favorite OS:
https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp2/

PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:57 PM   #68
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Let's not forget FIRComp2. A great plugin that's $$ for Mac and Win, but free for our favorite OS:
https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp2/

I have that and need to check it out some more. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #69
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Not only 'ignoring' those monopolies is a tangential fault of government, but creating and stimulating those very monopolies is the biggest fault of government here.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:31 AM   #70
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post

I also started in the early 90s with Atari and Cubase. Now churning out tunes with only native Linux plugins and Reaper. There was a couple of years period in the early 2010s when I used Windows for making music and Linux for Internet and daily stuff, but as I realised there's enough plugins to do everything in Linux, I just stopped booting into Windows. It also helped when they released W8, W10 and W11 abominations... I've totally lost Microsh** from my radar. Nowadays I get more usage from my 2013 MacBook with Mojave

One more thing: I discovered that having less plugins makes me work faster and being more productive. I stick to mostly u-he, TAL, Audio Damage, Airwindows and Cockos + JS plugins. It's more than enough. I also don't support any Win+Mac only plugin developers anymore. Rather buy or donate to these rare Linux developers.

Cheers!
That's how I feel these days too. I have a handful of plugins that I use--each specifically for its particular purpose. I used to accumulate literally thousands of plugins. When it came time to be creative, all I would do is play with presets from different plugins, and waste the precious little time I have and never get anything done. I still look for plugins, but only with the intent to replace what I have already, not to add to my "collection".

And I agree as well about the companies you support. I am so glad that Cockos, U-he, TAL, etc., etc., etc. exist. Without these great companies providing us with professional quality plugins, I probably wouldn't even bother with music anymore.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #71
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
When I was transitioning from multitrack tape to computer I was first sync'ing midi only sequencing on computer with multi-track audio on analog tape, but then Cakewalk added audio recording, which changed the game for me.

I had sold my 1" Ampex AG440B-8 and Carvin MX1688 several months before Cakewalk Pro Audio, because I saw the writing on the wall.

I use U-He's Presswerk extensively on pretty much every project I create in Linux.
I got into things late in life. I was 21 or 22 before I ever picked up a guitar. I was almost in my 30s before I ever played in a band. And now, in my 50s, I just enjoy it as a hobby. I never used tape to track anything on. All of the gear magazines at the time were still selling analog tape machines along with this new digital computer technology. While I loved my Commodore Vic-20 and Commodore 64, I was never one of those who made music with them. Even going straight digital I still had racks and racks of gear. I'm so glad I never had to deal with splicing tape.

It is very true that the younger generation doesn't realize how good things are, compared to the tech of the past. My current Linux setup with U-he and TAL, etc plugins is lightyears better than was what was available on any system without racks of expensive outboard gear. maybe that's why I don't have a problem with the limitations that come with Linux. My ultra-light 2-in-1 Lenovo laptop, setup with midi controller keyboard and Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, is so much better than even the best digital equipment that was available back then. A thousand bucks of equipment today would have cost (and did in fact cost ME) about $30,000 back then--and some people spent way, way more.

I'm really happy with what I've got right now.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #72
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
I got into things late in life. I was 21 or 22 before I ever picked up a guitar. I was almost in my 30s before I ever played in a band. And now, in my 50s, I just enjoy it as a hobby. I never used tape to track anything on. All of the gear magazines at the time were still selling analog tape machines along with this new digital computer technology. While I loved my Commodore Vic-20 and Commodore 64, I was never one of those who made music with them. Even going straight digital I still had racks and racks of gear. I'm so glad I never had to deal with splicing tape.
I saw a local band play at the lake when I was 7 and knew right then that I was going to play drums. I asked for drums at Christmas when I was 7 and 8.

Then when I was 9, my parents had been shopping and when they came home, I was playing right along with a record on a drum kit my sisters boyfriend had brought over. Finally at 9 years old got my first set. Later halfway through my senior year of high school my folks let me quit school to go on a road tour with the Drifters.

That didn't last long and I came back to graduate high school on time, but right out of school I got an offer to go on tour with a semi-famous country singer. That lasted 7 years, and was when I got into multi-track tape. In the 80s the core members of the touring backup band formed a local band and proceeded to play another 7 years locally. That's when I got into midi and computers.

Quote:
It is very true that the younger generation doesn't realize how good things are, compared to the tech of the past. My current Linux setup with U-he and TAL, etc plugins is lightyears better than was what was available on any system without racks of expensive outboard gear. maybe that's why I don't have a problem with the limitations that come with Linux. My ultra-light 2-in-1 Lenovo laptop, setup with midi controller keyboard and Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, is so much better than even the best digital equipment that was available back then. A thousand bucks of equipment today would have cost (and did in fact cost ME) about $30,000 back then--and some people spent way, way more.

I'm really happy with what I've got right now.
When I switched to Linux is when I had an epiphany that I am not married to any of my plugins, and they aren't what makes my music. I was ready to just chuck every Windows plugin I had and start from total scratch with pure Linux plugins. Jack Winter convinced me to try getting my Windows plugins working with LinVST, but at this point the only Windows plugins I still use are Superior Drummer 2 (used as an elaborate metronome until real drums are recorded) and Kontakt. Any audio plugins I use are native Linux, but most virtual instruments I use are still Kontakt.