Old 07-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
SpaceDyeVest
Human being with feelings

Default Keyboard control of tempo

I'm bit new to playing with midi, so I'm not sure if this is even possible.

I'm looking to control the tempo of the project in real-time with the pitch-wheel on a keyboard. While a project with softsynths is playing recorded midi files, rolling the pitch wheel up would speed the project up, and rolling down would slow things down (without changing pitch). A similar effect to simply popping in a time signature marker with a new tempo, but I need to be able to do it in real-time while the project is playing back.

If this were possible, how would I go about setting that up?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
-Matt
SpaceDyeVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Axonaut

This should be possible, though I don't know how smoothly it will work in practice.

You may need to set your midi input device to control mode first (Options -> Preferences -> Midi Devices ... right click and 'enable for control messages')

Look at the Action List (Actions -> Show Action List), and type 'tempo' in the search box.

You'll see one of the actions is 'set tempo coarse...'. Click on that one to select it, then click Add. Now if you move a Midi controller, Reaper should learn that this controller is assigned to control the tempo. Click OK to finish.

I tried this with an unassigned midi controller and it apparently works, I haven't tried with the pitch wheel.
Axonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
tweed

try opening your actions list top menu (though install SWS extension may be necessary though it's probably there in the stock actions)
then seach for 'tempo' and assign your pitch bender to it.
don't know what'll happen I assign the delete key to tempo and just hit it in time or faster/slower.

ohhh.... um, just re-read the above. yep, like that! :-)
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Axonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
ohhh.... um, just re-read the above. yep, like that! :-)
Hey, it's always good to get a second opinion
Axonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
FermentedDigeridoo

This is a really good question, and I would like to inquire further. Notion 3 has a similar feature which is called "N-Tempo". Its aim is essentially to allow the composer to "conduct" the tempo in real-time to allow for a more fluid and fitful performance. The difference, however, is that the user can use any keystroke (any key on the keyboard) to tap the beat.

The further question is whether something similar can be done in Reaper. I know that it is possible to "tap" the tempo at any given point in Reaper (Transport: Tap Tempo), but I don't know if this is possible real-time, as the project plays. I guess what I'm asking is whether you can record automation on the master tempo track by tapping.
FermentedDigeridoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
SpaceDyeVest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedDigeridoo View Post
Its aim is essentially to allow the composer to "conduct" the tempo in real-time to allow for a more fluid and fitful performance. The difference, however, is that the user can use any keystroke (any key on the keyboard) to tap the beat.
This is exactly the reason I asked - thanks for the responses, I'll give it a try.

-Matt
SpaceDyeVest is offline   Reply With Quote