Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #201
Macc
Human being with feelings

Hello all,

New around here, so forgive any breaches of protocol... Bit shy to post in this conversation as it's moved on a bit, but having read the whole thread it seems the right place, rather than starting a new feature request thread. If that's wrong let me know.

Summary of my post here - I am a recent convert from Samplitude and I feel like a fool for not doing it years ago. The spectral peaks in Reaper are much better than Comparisonics but I do feel Reaper is missing a trick by not taking advantage of the colour extremes for freq extremes.

As stated in post #2 in this thread, it would be great to include black and white for the extremes. Post #3 this thread apparently the freq bins are 43Hz wide. Would it be possible to have an option to have say, below 129Hz shown as black, or fading to black from blue? The little extra level of detail would be extremely useful here.

TL;DR - please can we have an option for the lowest/highest 2 or 3 freq bins to fade to black/white?

Cheers all, keep up the superb work.
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #202
musicbynumbers

Hi Macc.

The way it's set up now, black or white (depending on theme) represents non tonal elements (broad noisy spectrums or transients) and works quite well for that. You can shift the colour spectrum around in the spectral settings window which might get you closer to what you want and if you right click the coloured area in that window, you get options to have the the octaves spread over so many colour bands.

Not quite what you want though.

It might be something that can be opened up upon later on though or in the API.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #203
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The way it's set up now, black or white (depending on theme) represents non tonal elements (broad noisy spectrums or transients) and works quite well for that.
From a logical POV this does make sense, as white (and hence gray down to black) is a mix of all colors of the visual spectrum: no dominant frequency. But what exactly means "depending on the theme" ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-05-2017 at 10:57 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #204
Macc

Quote:
Hi Macc.

The way it's set up now, black or white (depending on theme) represents non tonal elements (broad noisy spectrums or transients) and works quite well for that. You can shift the colour spectrum around in the spectral settings window which might get you closer to what you want and if you right click the coloured area in that window, you get options to have the the octaves spread over so many colour bands.

Not quite what you want though.

It might be something that can be opened up upon later on though or in the API.
I hope so. I've spent absolutely ages fiddling, getting it as close to the Comparisonics as I could. Check here, and esp here and here - this track had way too much below 80Hz. That is clearly visible in the Samp peaks image. In Reaper it could be anywhere from low mids down.

I mention all this NOT because I want Reaper to be more like Samplitude, but because Comparisonics *instantly* looked right from the very first moment for me. I know a lot of other Samp users love it too, and you might be able to win them over with stuff like this

And personally, as a mastering engineer, if I load up a 25-track various artist compilation, knowing which ones are going to have low end problems right from the outset is a huge help. If this was possible then Spectral peaks would be much better than Comparisonics; it's sooooooooo close to being perfect.

As regards fading to theme colours, I have the theme colour set to a 'noisy grey' colour, so the 'fade noise to theme colour' option makes things look... well, noisy (like a detuned TV, almost). So if there were a tick box option to extend the low/high end to black/white you could have the noise any colour you wanted and not lose any functionality.

Finally I know this must be a trivial, stupid little thing, but goddamn those Comparisonics have been useful over the years. It's the one thing that kept me with Samplitude for so long, tbh!
Macc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #205
Arnar

Quote:
Just to put these here as well.

-Ability to colour by "note pitch" (repeated per octave). This might not be possible but being able to see each note in an octave as one of 12 strongly defined colours that repeat each octave would be insanely useful for editing and easily seeing pitch of notes etc.

-Presets. At least at the global and maybe make them action assignable for the first 5 of them. These would be great for getting the most optimum view for say individual types of instruments as well as an overview.

Agreed, this would be great ! Also if take pitch would reflect changes
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #206
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnar View Post
Agreed, this would be great ! Also if take pitch would reflect changes
Well if you right click on the colour bit of the spectral window you now have both these options so all good!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #207
jrengmusic

TL;DR

Is it possible to utilize Spectral Peaks to do Spectral Split? As in Dynamic Split?

Splitting item by its spectral content.
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #208
raiirock

Spectral split - great idea
raiirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #209
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Now it's more powerful:
what am i looking at here and how do i access it? i have a bunch of wavs to clean up and this seems exactly what i need to do it. just installed 540rc1/64 but don't know how to get to this kind of processing.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #210
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
what am i looking at here and how do i access it? i have a bunch of wavs to clean up and this seems exactly what i need to do it. just installed 540rc1/64 but don't know how to get to this kind of processing.

thanks,
BabaG
From the release notes:

"-- for the 5.40 release we're holding back automation items and spectral editing
-- these will return in 5.50pre1, sorry for any confusion"
Old 03-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #211
babag

thanks. just saw that myself.

edit:
just found it in 5.40pre14a. pretty awesome. is there a way to navigate the spectrogram, to do things like zoom it vertically and scroll to specific frequency ranges?

thanks again,
BabaG

Last edited by babag; 03-20-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #212
babag

after playing with the current state of spectral editing i have as few thoughts. first, it's great. really appreciate it. just the spectrogram view is really helpful. having editorial functionality just makes it that much better. that said, i find there to be two main issues for the way i work with this. i came to reaper from samplitude, which has had spectral editing for a very long time.

the addition of spectral editing adds a large new dimension to the workflow and needs to be matched with capable navigation and selection tools. i just tried some cleanup of an old piece of soundtrack, trying to remove some music that is woven through dialog. i enlarged my item to fullscreen but still had a huge amount of dead space in the upper frequencies taking up my view and making fine selection difficult. since there is already an ability to draw a selection box around frequency ranges, perhaps something like this could be used for 'view' in order to zoom in and display only a certain range. that would make fine selection far easier. another option might be a scrollbar and zoom option so the spectrogram could be zoommed in on and scrolled up and down to different ranges.

the second issue i ran into was the rotating control knobs at the side of the selection box. once i got several areas stacked in various positions, i found these control knobs to be inferfering with each other. perhaps some kind of pop-up control window could be implemented that would only appear when a selected area is active or hovered over? this kind of design is not my area of expertise but it was something of an issue.

lastly and kind of pie-in-the-sky would be something like graphics-oriented selection tools, the ability to draw irregular selection areas by placing and moving points, a pen tool, variable lasso (rectangle, circle, ellipse), or brush tool.

all of the above would have greatly enhanced my ability to work with my test clip. in that example i could clearly see specific bands of musical tones but, due to the lack of navigation tools above, could not easily select for the specific tones as they appeared very much squashed together, and this at full screen.

maybe some of this is already there and was just something i missed but i did try a lot of click/r-click cominations with lots of modifiers. i did find the ability to use a modifier with the up/down arrows to intensify the spectrogram display. that was very cool.

thanks and can't wait to see how this all develops,
BabaG
Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 AM   #213
musicbynumbers

My fingers are still crossed for a much higher res (more bins) view for certain selected items (as an option) as although it's not bad for things like creative work on drums,the current low bin amount and distribution really doesn't work well at all for dialogue work in film (just tried it) or cutting unwanted sounds out of say a classical record.

I'm still hoping for a solution to this though fingers crossed!

Anyone else?

It's at the point of being a "feature" yes but not quite as amazing as it could be.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #214
babag

+1

for me, all it is now is a cross-reference for reafir. i use reafir and, in some cases, can use the item spectrogram as a guide to help find things. no good for actually adjusting them yet, though.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #215
IXix

Is this a bug?

"Spectrogram: Toggle show spectrogram for selected items" doesn't do anything if spectrogram or spectrogram+peaks is on globally. I'd expect it to override the global setting.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #216
vectorwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Is this a bug?

"Spectrogram: Toggle show spectrogram for selected items" doesn't do anything if spectrogram or spectrogram+peaks is on globally. I'd expect it to override the global setting.
Yeah, i found that unintuitive too
vectorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #217
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
lastly and kind of pie-in-the-sky would be something like graphics-oriented selection tools, the ability to draw irregular selection areas by placing and moving points, a pen tool, variable lasso (rectangle, circle, ellipse), or brush tool.
This seems complete logic-spectral toolset-like paintshop/gimp w/e> Airbrushing and eraser would be usefull here.
I always liked the fuzzy select tool

This level of editing the waveform directly -kinda negates a lot of eq/cut/boost plugins rea lly.
Maybe the performance will be even better than certain plugs once perfected.
Roll on reaper.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #218
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Is this a bug?

that confused me too.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #219
mikeroephonics

In case anyone missed it...

v5.50pre3 - March 29 2017
# Spectral editing: basic top/bottom edge drawing support (ctrl+drag edge, alt+drag to erase)
# Spectral edits: draw handle in middle of region, in preparation for arbitrary shapes

I just tried this out and it is amazing! Used in conjunction with the spectral editing parameters 'fade time' and 'frequency fade', you can perform extremely accurate, surgical edits on signals of virtually any complexity.

Some initial uses I thought of:
- A harmonic in a glissando sticking out too much or too little
- Any sound whose spectrum is not linear over time, but needs to be attenuated/boosted

Very cool stuff! Is arbitrary spectral drawing new to DAWs? I haven't seen this in any other software.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #220
run_esc

I've just been messing about with the js Chua Oscillator and the spectral edits in 5.50pre3, and noticed something, please forgive if this has been mentioned: the top and bottom edges or cutoff frequencies (I'm unaware of a better term) of spectral edit boxes appear to be significantly emphasized (be warned, 15mb licecap incoming):

Note when I turn up the frequency fade param, the emphasis is diminished somewhat, but at default settings, the emphasis is *quite pronounced* (like around 15-25db over baseline).

Note also the spectrogram's gate is -120db, the gif doesn't show this but if you turn that gate up, the spectral edit emphasis disappears around -75db, while the very quiet, dark green harmonics (when the spec edit box is bypassed) disappear around -100db. Those two big vertical spikes that appear are from the loop, not the spectral box.

Last edited by run_esc; 04-01-2017 at 12:44 PM.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #221
Javier Robledo

Hi ¡¡¡

I have some problems with zoom and spectral peaks.

First thing, I Know that there's an option for prevent spectral peak per track but by default them are enable.

- Is there an option (preferences or similar) for disable them by default ?

I would only enable them in certain tracks or per item and by the moment each time I insert a track has to disable it manually.

The other thing is that after disable, I insert some new track, enable spectral peak for them and after redrawing spectral peak has problems for been show:

I read something similar to this before in the forum but don´t know if it has been corrected in Reaper's last release. (I`m using last Reaper Versions)

Thank´s for your help
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #222
mawi

The frequency resolution of the Spectrogram in the bass and lower mids is very very bad. Even if I set in the "freq log" to 10. 10 should be the default setting.

Last edited by mawi; 04-14-2017 at 04:47 PM.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #223
resondreamer

Do you guys know, is it possible to edit a colors that are displayed? Can I load my own colors somehow? Maybe it's possible to edit them in the config files? I mean, it will be great if we can edit each frenquency separately, for example:
0-7kHz = blue
7kHz-20kHz = white.

Anyway it's amazing tool! Thanks guys!

Last edited by resondreamer; 04-21-2017 at 04:28 PM.
resondreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 AM   #224
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
The frequency resolution of the Spectrogram in the bass and lower mids is very very bad. Even if I set in the "freq log" to 10. 10 should be the default setting.
It's because of limitations in the current peak file format I think.

I'm really really hoping Justin can find a way to overcome this with either a way to "deep dive" a selected item or a better algorithm that uses the same amount of limited bins but divided/spread out better.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #225
babag

+1

BabaG
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 AM   #226
ericzang

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
experimentong a bit with spectral API with a Lua script for de-essing using spectral peaks data
still very raw and unoptimized.. but I was happy haha
combining tonality and pitch data, it can also be used for de-breather. It works better than I expected. Maybe I should continue working on it and make a GUI to adjust parameters etc.
This looks great Heda! Do you think it might be reasonably possible at some point to make a version that could cut out the sibilance and breaths and move them to separate tracks?

PS Your Track Inspector is immensely useful, thanks again!
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #227
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
This looks great Heda! Do you think it might be reasonably possible at some point to make a version that could cut out the sibilance and breaths and move them to separate tracks?

PS Your Track Inspector is immensely useful, thanks again!
thanks
I didn't have time to continue developing this. But eugen2777 made a great script named: Envelope based deesser.
which is more or less what I wanted to do here.

move the parts to a new part would be possible, yes.
What I do sometimes is to insert a reaEQ that sends to channels 3+4 and route that to a new channe, then automate the reaeq gain on the sibilances and breaths so that only those are sent to the new track. It's more or less the same concept but without splitting items.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:46 AM   #228
Javier Robledo

Default Peaks + Spectrogram

Hi ¡¡¡

Is there an option for display Spectral peaks + Spectrogram as it is with normal peaks ??

Thanks

Old 11-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #229
HDWind

Please add a Frequency scale for the Spectral Edit mode,
like iZotope RX.

This function is better done as an option.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197863

Last edited by HDWind; 12-03-2017 at 06:01 AM.
HDWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #230
Sumalc

Quote:
thanks
I didn't have time to continue developing this. But eugen2777 made a great script named: Envelope based deesser.
which is more or less what I wanted to do here.
it seemed very promising to me, i hope you will change your mind ?
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #231
tikihorea

Quote:
experimentong a bit with spectral API with a Lua script for de-essing using spectral peaks data
still very raw and unoptimized.. but I was happy haha
combining tonality and pitch data, it can also be used for de-breather. It works better than I expected. Maybe I should continue working on it and make a GUI to adjust parameters etc.
Sir, please make this a thing.
Pretty please?

Thank you!
tikihorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #232
Javier Robledo

Default Presets

Hi ¡¡¡

Is there any way for naming presets in Peak Windows ?

Thanks ¡¡¡
Old 07-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #233
daxliniere

How do we edit/save the Spectral Peak presets, please?
I'm happy to edit .INI files if necessary for now. (I couldn't find where)

Also, seems like 1,2 and 5 are the same.

Thanks!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #234
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
How do we edit/save the Spectral Peak presets
We have preset now?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #235
xpander

Open the Peaks Display Settings (under the View menu). Right click over the spectral graph to get the menu to load and save presets.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #236
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Open the Peaks Display Settings (under the View menu). Right click over the spectral graph to get the menu to load and save presets.
Thanks so much, Xpander!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:32 AM   #237
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Quote:
My fingers are still crossed for a much higher res (more bins) view for certain selected items (as an option) as although it's not bad for things like creative work on drums,the current low bin amount and distribution really doesn't work well at all for dialogue work in film (just tried it) or cutting unwanted sounds out of say a classical record.
I agree that, at present, REAPER's spectrogram does not work well for fine editing of individual frequencies, since the frequency resolution is far too low.

It would be very helpful if REAPER could use a higher FFT size for the spectragrams. Either as a default, or if possible, as a per-item setting.

Here is a comparison between REAPER and RX7's spectrograms for the same piece of music:

REAPER:

RX7:

The RX7 spectrogram is obviously much sharper in the frequency domain, and much more informative.

RX7 offers advanced options such as "Adaptively sparse" analysis, and I don't know how difficult it would be to program these for REAPER.

However, even when using only the most basic settings, a spectrogram can be vastly improved by simply tweaking the FFT size. My guess is that REAPER uses an FFT size of 256 samples, since RX7 and Audacity's spectrograms look very similar to REAPER's, if they use that FFT size (and only basic analysis).

Here is Audacity's version, with an FFT size of 4096. Although not as good as RX7, it is a big improvement over REAPER:

juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #238
smasha

Spectral Peaks does not engage in Reaper 6,waveform is still stock shade.

The "Show Spectral peaks" tick box is not showing.

On Reaper 64 bit Windows 10.

The Spectrogram works though.

Last edited by smasha; 01-22-2020 at 09:21 PM. Reason: more investigation
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #239
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I agree that, at present, REAPER's spectrogram does not work well for fine editing of individual frequencies, since the frequency resolution is far too low.

It would be very helpful if REAPER could use a higher FFT size for the spectragrams. Either as a default, or if possible, as a per-item setting.

Here is a comparison between REAPER and RX7's spectrograms for the same piece of music:

REAPER:

RX7:

The RX7 spectrogram is obviously much sharper in the frequency domain, and much more informative.

RX7 offers advanced options such as "Adaptively sparse" analysis, and I don't know how difficult it would be to program these for REAPER.

However, even when using only the most basic settings, a spectrogram can be vastly improved by simply tweaking the FFT size. My guess is that REAPER uses an FFT size of 256 samples, since RX7 and Audacity's spectrograms look very similar to REAPER's, if they use that FFT size (and only basic analysis).

Here is Audacity's version, with an FFT size of 4096. Although not as good as RX7, it is a big improvement over REAPER:

Yousing youtube examples would allow comparison with other techniques, like tony, sonic visualiser, sonic-annotator or reaper.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #240
suchatravesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

I disagree about the Audacity or even RX view being "better". I guess it would depend on what kind of music you are working on and what you are trying to do with it at the time. There is definitely more information shown in the others but Reaper's is much easier to interpret for me. I can see the transients (vertical lines) much easier on Reaper vs the Audacity picture. To me there is too much information shown on the Audacity one and it's harder to see what I'm looking for, (usually transients), but that's just me.

I do agree it would be cool to be able to add more adjustability to spectrogram, RX is nice but editing is not near as fast as Reaper for me.

Sorry I truncated your comment, didn't want to fill the page with images again.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote