Old 04-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
MaXyM
Human being with feelings

Default toolbar_midi_step

Hello guys.
How does toolbar_midi_step icon work?
It seems inconsistent comparing to other icon sliced buttons, which usually are a pairs for on and off states, each one covering neutral, hovering and pressed state.

In case of toolbar_midi_step, it's only one icon covering off, hovering and on states.
It means hovering version must be the same for both on and off (which is not a case for all other toolbar icons).

In addition toolbar_midi_step is not mentioned on https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/images.php page.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
xpander

Afais, toolbar_midi_step is not included with the default themes, so it's probably somebodys personal image? That would explain why it's not listed in walter images either.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
cubic13

It's obviously an omission from the doc : it should figure as well as the other MIDI related ones used in the default MIDI editor toolbar (MIDI piano roll). if we reset it, the toolbar_midi_step.png file is seeable as the last but one icon. So, if it is present in the theme images folder it will be used, otherwise it's the default one, findable in the \data\toolbar_icons subfolder, that will be displayed.

Beside this, it is indeed a "one graphical file icon" compared to most of the others default icons figuring in the list that use two for the same toggle task. Don't ask me why some need just one file and others two : one of the numerous mysteries of Reaper UI...

Now, about it's usage, it seems to activate all the MIDI inputs available in Reaper when using step recording (§ 13.26 in the manual), but I can't say much more about it, as I never use it.

HTWH...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-14-2019 at 11:19 PM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:22 AM   #4
MaXyM

Thank you for answers.
Asking for how it does work I meant how this icon is being applied to the theme (not about how step recording works). In Reaper there are gfx elements which are being used when alternative element doesn't exists. I was suspecting this is what applies to this situation. Ie there is alternative naming for this icon which conforms convention being applied to other sliced on/off icons.

Currently, it seems to me like a bug. however never reported? Isn't it obvious enough?

BTW a lot other toolbar icons missing from documentation. For example those switching midi editor view between pianoroll, midi events etc.

with regards
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
So, if it is present in the theme images folder it will be used, otherwise it's the default one, findable in the \data\toolbar_icons subfolder, that will be displayed.
Ah, that's where it lurks, thanks cubic13.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
It's obviously an omission from the doc : it should figure as well as the other MIDI related ones used in the default MIDI editor toolbar (MIDI piano roll). if we reset it, the toolbar_midi_step.png file is seeable as the last but one icon. So, if it is present in the theme images folder it will be used, otherwise it's the default one, findable in the \data\toolbar_icons subfolder, that will be displayed.

Beside this, it is indeed a "one graphical file icon" compared to most of the others default icons figuring in the list that use two for the same toggle task. Don't ask me why some need just one file and others two : one of the numerous mysteries of Reaper UI...
Yeah... another mistery: why some toolbar icons like toolbar_grid_on/off (in fact it seems like all 2-files ones) are not present in mentioned by you data\toolbar_icons directtory? I've checked AppData/Roaming/Reaper as well as install location of Reaper and found no one.

It seems like those 2-file icons are compiled within the application while others not. And those "others" are kind of simplified.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
It seems like those 2-file icons are compiled within the application while others not. And those "others" are kind of simplified.
It's obviously what is happening, otherwise, we would at least see the related graphic files in the \data\toolbar_icons subfolder. I just checked again : there is no file that have the same name as the ones mentioned in the official image list. Not one... In my Cubicpack themes, I have an example of this : I'll take the Options : toggle metronome action (#40364). In each theme, I have provided 3 files for this :

toolbar_metro_off.png
toolbar_metro_on.png

These two have exactly the same name as what appears in the official image list : they are there to be used with the default main toolbar and consequently appear, instead of the embedded ones in Reaper. Additionaly, I added this one :

toolbar_C_metro_[l/m/r].png

which appears if the user wants to use the bundled toolbar1 in the pack which have additional actions, compared to the default toolbars (at their reseted state) : it baheves exactly as the official ones and only one graphic file is needed for this.

So, it seems that the rule is :
1) if we want personal icons for the main toolbar, we have to provide graphic files exactly named as in the official list, otherwise 'embedded' icons will be used (two files are needed for one function, for most cases).
2) If we want personal icons for other toolbars such as the default piano roll one, we have to provide graphic files that are named exactly as the ones present in the \data\toolbar_icons Reaper installation subfolder (one graphic file is enough).
3) If we want personal icons for actions not integrated in one or other reseted toolbar, we also have to provide graphic files but can name it as wanted (one graphic file is enough).

At least, this is what stays in my mind, concerning this. But we never had a decent documentation about it : it's probably considered as obvious...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #8
MaXyM

Yes, it's obvious to me too.
What is not obvious that some of the buttons requires 2 sliced files, while other only one. While I know when to use which one, it leads to graphical inconsistency or limits a themer while creating a theme.

I don't know... maybe it's only me who cares about such visual inconsistencies (since I've seen no related bug report or FR)

Last edited by MaXyM; 04-16-2019 at 01:17 AM.