Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
garwow
Human being with feelings

Default Issue with Superior Drummer 3, no sound from midi file (not the usual reasons)

I'm new to Reaper (loving it so far), and working with VSTs. I have an issue getting any sound out of a MIDI track when the FX is Superior Drummer 3.
Here is the process I follow.
Open Reaper. Audio is set to the computer sound card, (though I have tried it with the ASIO from the audio interface also).
I insert a track with virtual instrument and select SD3. I insert the MIDI media file and hit play. The line moves across the notes, but no sound comes out. I then change the FX to be SD2 and the drums start to play using the SD2 kit selected. I then change the instrument to be a piano VST and the MIDI track plays the piano to the drum track (very interesting, but not what I want).
If I change it back to SD3, and open the SD3 editor and insert the same MIDI media file, it will produce the sound. It is the only way to get the sound from SD3. While, it allows me to get around the issue, it is not the way things should work.
I have tried this just about every way possible. I insert track, then add the FX to be SD3. I add the MIDI file, then the FX. No matter what I do, the sound does not come out.
I checked the audio from SD3 and it appears to be correct. The sound wouldn't come out when I add the MIDI file to the SD3 editor, if it wasn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be?

It is possible that I inadvertently changed a setting I wasn't supposed to change. If so, I can't figure out what that would be.

Any help would be appreciated. It is driving me nuts!

Thanks
G.
garwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Judders

Just a random long-shot:

In the SD3 settings, is the "MIDI In Channel" set to "Any"?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
garwow

Thanks for the reply. Yes, in Superior Drummer when I open the FX VST the setting for MIDI is set as Any.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:51 AM   #4
Coachz

Using the grooves tab in Superior drummer can you play any of the grooves. If so then drag one of the grooves into Reaper and see if that plays.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
garwow

Thanks for the reply! i found that Judders was correct. When I looked at the MIDI settings in Superior Drummer 3, it was set to Any. When i opened SD3 as a VST instrument, the midi channel was set to 2. When I changed it to Any, the sound started playing. I'm just not sure why the VST defaults to 2 and how I can change it to default to Any.
Thanks for your help!