Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 07-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #81
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
@Andrew

I'm a bit confused by the editing You solved the issue right? I can add that boolean, I'll have to think about it a bit since the whole script is designed to be spammable (keeping the hotkey pressed) and opening the editor over and over would be costly. Why do you want to use this script to open items in the first place? Hmm, do you use selection is bound to visibility?

The behavior in the arrange context should look something like this (when keeping the hotkey pressed and without the time selection)

Thanks FTC,

Based on you video above, don't add the boolean -- I wouldn't want you to break anything. And yes... I did solved it with a much earlier script you posted... so that's fine. You really did a tremendous job here.

Out of pure curiosity, what kind of music do you program?

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 07-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #82
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Out of pure curiosity, what kind of music do you program?
I actually play more music than I program, and I love exploring all sorts of genres. I guess my latest project is kind of daft punky
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #83
Thonex

Quote:
I actually play more music than I program, and I love exploring all sorts of genres. I guess my latest project is kind of daft punky
Nice!! 😉
Old 07-16-2020, 05:23 AM   #84
_Stevie_

@FTC: testing the new iteration of MeMagic.

Assigning the action to double click mouse modifier doesn't open the MIDI Editor from the arrange. I enabled debug mode and get this:
No editor open. Exiting

However, when assigning it to a shortcut, the MIDI Editor opens.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #85
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
@FTC: testing the new iteration of MeMagic.

Assigning the action to double click mouse modifier doesn't open the MIDI Editor from the arrange. I enabled debug mode and get this:
No editor open. Exiting

However, when assigning it to a shortcut, the MIDI Editor opens.
Fixed! Thx for the debug output, really helpful!

Curious about what you think of the default behavior in the MIDI editor note area. I'm not even keeping it pressed (which is fun though), but I just click to the right of the editor to scroll right a bit, to the top to scroll up a bit, etc. I think it's starting to grow on me.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #86
_Stevie_

This feature is pretty awesome, I'm just diving deeper into it.
That's really very well thought out man, congrats!

The sheer amount of options can be a bit overwhelming and I think it's not obvious
at first sight, what you can do with this. Still exploring!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #87
reapero

I really want to use this but the amount of options, scripts, contextual behaviours and bourbon just make it very hard.

What you described here:

Quote:
I'm not even keeping it pressed (which is fun though), but I just click to the right of the editor to scroll right a bit, to the top to scroll up a bit, etc.
sounds very appealing to me. What script do i need, with what settings please?
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #88
_Stevie_

You assign the MeMagic script either to a mouse modifier (MIDI piano roll) or to an action in the ME, because the script will always get the currently focused window (context sensitive).

Lastly, you edit the section "Context: MIDI editor note area" in the script.
This refers to the piano roll area (when you click in an area with no notes).
There are 2 values in that section:

Code:
MEN_vertical_zoom_mode
MEN_horizontal_zoom_mode
The 4 modes in the brackets refer to beats (project), beats (source), etc...
as stated in the script itself. I just put the same values for all 4 modes.

In my case this is:
MEN_vertical_zoom_mode: 12 for scrolling to the note center of the item
MEN_horizontal_zoom_mode: 2, to zoom to item

Hope this helps. The possibilities are endless!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #89
reapero

Thansk Stevie!

Got this working now! Looks interesting..not sure which one is the best setting for me..so much stuff going on!

Nice one CatFeeder!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #90
_Stevie_

@FTC:

Would it be possible to have an option to disable moving the edit cursor to the mouse cursor when opening the MIDI editor from the arrange (item)?

I commented out line 893:
Code:
-- Cmd: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
        reaper.Main_OnCommand(40513, 0)
But maybe an option wouldn't be a bad thing here?
Old 07-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #91
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
What script do i need, with what settings please?
It's the default behavior when you use the action over the note area. The further you have your mouse from the center of the editor, the more it scrolls in that direction. Tried to visualize it in this GIF. You can also keep it pressed

Quote:
The 4 modes in the brackets refer to beats (project), beats (source), etc...
as stated in the script itself. I just put the same values for all 4 modes.
If you don't want to use different timebases, you can also delete the brackets and just use a simple number.
Quote:
The possibilities are endless!
Yup, I'm sure this thing is capable of stuff I haven't thought of. Share if you find something interesting!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #92
FeedTheCat

Quote:
@FTC:

Would it be possible to have an option to disable moving the edit cursor to the mouse cursor when opening the MIDI editor from the arrange (item)?

I commented out line 893:
Code:
-- Cmd: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
        reaper.Main_OnCommand(40513, 0)
But maybe an option wouldn't be a bad thing here?
Commenting the line out like this will break other modes I think. Should still be easy to add an option though. You want it only when using the arrange view area context? Out of curiosity, what modes are you using in this context?
Old 07-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #93
_Stevie_

Hmm, I will give this a thought, if I can get used to it.

But let me quickly describe my workflow:

I will usually listen to a project and then notice a passage I want to edit in the ME.
I'll quickly press pause while listening and then scan for the item I want to edit.
By then, the edit cursor is already at the correct position. Meaning: when I press enter (my ME shortcut), the edit cursor is being moved again.
But my mouse cursor could be already somewhere else and therefore open the wrong item.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #94
reapero

Stevie's workflow seemed pretty standard for a composition with a lot of tracks and arrangements.

I am on the same boat 🙂
Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #95
FeedTheCat

Alrighty boys, I pushed a small little update. There is now a setting to choose whether to move the edit cursor to the mouse cursor at all. Might not be exactly what you wanted Stevie, but it might just work for you. If it doesn't, I can still add an exception only for the arrange view context. I also made a slight change to the "scroll to note center" behavior. It is now also limited to the highest and lowest note, which I think is a bit better.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #96
reapero

still confused here: the script says its contextual: arrange, midi cc lanes...what does this mean? I click on the cc lanes and nothing happens ( besides, i cant add a left click mouse modifier to add the script on cc lanes, sinbce only left drag is supported).

Also what does it mean it is contextual in the arrange view?
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #97
FeedTheCat

Quote:
still confused here: the script says its contextual: arrange, midi cc lanes...what does this mean? I click on the cc lanes and nothing happens ( besides, i cant add a left click mouse modifier to add the script on cc lanes, sinbce only left drag is supported).

Also what does it mean it is contextual in the arrange view?
Assign a hotkey to the script in the actions list. Make the scope of the shortcut global, so you can use it in multiple windows.

When you now use the hotkey you will get a different behavior based on where your mouse cursor is. E.g. when you run the script and you have the mouse cursor on the piano pane in the midi editor it will zoom to content. If you hover over the midi editor ruler and run the script it will scroll to the highest note, on the cc lane it will scroll to the bottom etc.

It is also optimized for usage as a mouse modifier, but only for left and double click on items. It could maybe work for other modifiers, but I haven't tested that.

Edit: Just tested it as a mouse modifier on the MIDI ruler and the cc lane (double click + ctrl). That works just fine. But as you mention, not all areas let you assign left click.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-18-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #98
reapero

Understood! There are so menay ways of setting this up that i cant seem tohanlde it.

I assume that working in the "Arrange view" still referes to zooming in the midi editor right?

I am thinking of having the same behaviour in the zoom project. So for examplew if i click on a track that its positioned at the top of my Arrange it gets centered (if there are more track above of course). As you were saying earlier, now scrolling seems like a thing from the past
Old 07-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #99
FeedTheCat

Quote:
I assume that working in the "Arrange view" still referes to zooming in the midi editor right?
Yeah it does, you can open items with a specified zoom behavior. Here's a gif I made a while back.

Quote:
I am thinking of having the same behaviour in the zoom project. So for examplew if i click on a track that its positioned at the top of my Arrange it gets centered (if there are more track above of course). As you were saying earlier, now scrolling seems like a thing from the past
Haha, I've been thinking about that as well The same kind of shortcuts could be really useful outside of the MIDI editor. Like using the action on the tcp and zooming out to the whole project. Mespotine also brought up the idea for smart zoom on items which might be really cool. The nice thing is that most of these zooming actions already exists for tracks, I had to build the MIDI editor ones from scratch. On the other hand this script is already complex enough, so it probably would need a GUI.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #100
Vagelis

Woah, cool scripts FTC, thank you!

Any plans for adding them in Reapack anytime soon ?
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #101
_Stevie_

Quote:
Alrighty boys, I pushed a small little update. There is now a setting to choose whether to move the edit cursor to the mouse cursor at all. Might not be exactly what you wanted Stevie, but it might just work for you. If it doesn't, I can still add an exception only for the arrange view context. I also made a slight change to the "scroll to note center" behavior. It is now also limited to the highest and lowest note, which I think is a bit better.
This is brilliant, thanks FTC!!! Works just as expected

The note center scrolling seems now totally reliable, compared to the previous algo, right?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #102
_Stevie_

Quote:
Scroll to content:

If zooming is not your thing...

Scroll up to content:

Scroll down to content:
Would it also be possible to have the "scroll notes to center" as a single script?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:55 AM   #103
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Woah, cool scripts FTC, thank you!

Any plans for adding them in Reapack anytime soon ?
ReaPack coming soon (μεσ'την βδομάδα )

Quote:
The note center scrolling seems now totally reliable, compared to the previous algo, right?
it's just a minor change, but I sure hope so. If you notice something "unreliable" make sure to tell me.

Quote:
Would it also be possible to have the "scroll notes to center" as a single script?
Yes, I wrote a script that generates all possible (non-contextual) configurations for MeMagic. This way I only have to maintain one script, but there's going to be a lot more standalone zoom/scroll actions. To be exact, 84 standalone actions at the moment I might throw out some...... I'll release them on ReaPack at some point this week.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:28 AM   #104
Vagelis

Quote:
ReaPack coming soon (μεσ'την βδομάδα )

Ευχαριστώ φίλος
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #105
_Stevie_

Quote:
Yes, I wrote a script that generates all possible (non-contextual) configurations for MeMagic. This way I only have to maintain one script, but there's going to be a lot more standalone zoom/scroll actions. To be exact, 84 standalone actions at the moment I might throw out some...... I'll release them on ReaPack at some point this week.
Goodness, how cool is that! Really looking forward to that. Thanks for making the ME experience so much better!
Old 07-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #106
daniellumertz

wooooo, thanks FTC!! sorry to be a little off of the news updates! It worked as I expected for zooming in view area sooo nice! :O:O:O:O

I will later give a look in the code to try to understand how did you get the values of the user area ahahaha

Thanksss and lookingfoward for the reapack version
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #107
FeedTheCat

Alright boys, I updated the first post. The scripts are now on ReaPack. Don't forget to import my ReaPack repository. All standalone scripts are now in the "MeMagic bundle". The bundle contains over 50 zooming & scrolling scripts, one for every occasion
Old 07-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #108
daniellumertz

yey thanks! ftc great that is in repack now
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:02 AM   #109
reapero

So we better uninstall everything and install from Reapack right?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:02 AM   #110
FeedTheCat

Quote:
So we better uninstall everything and install from Reapack right?
yeah, the only issue is that your own changes to the MeMagic configuration will be overwritten on update. You can right click on the package and select "pin current version" to avoid that.
Btw, I also made some changes to the naming of the modes. Hopefully they are a bit more descriptive now, suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:00 AM   #111
_Stevie_

Aweeeesome FTC, thank you so much!!! Checking today!
Old 07-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #112
_Stevie_

@FTC:
That's really great what you put together here, thank you so much!

a quick question concerning the "scroll to center" script.
Would you be able to "extract" only the scroll to center part (just as you did with the "FTC_scroll_up_to_content.lua")?

It's a bit hard to explain, but for double click I would always use the MEMagic script that you provided. But for opening multiple items at once, I would create a custom script (assigned to a hotkey):

- open ME
- change setting to "color notes by track"
- scroll content to center
Old 07-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #113
FeedTheCat

Quote:
@FTC:
That's really great what you put together here, thank you so much!

a quick question concerning the "scroll to center" script.
Would you be able to "extract" only the scroll to center part (just as you did with the "FTC_scroll_up_to_content.lua")?

It's a bit hard to explain, but for double click I would always use the MEMagic script that you provided. But for opening multiple items at once, I would create a custom script (assigned to a hotkey):

- open ME
- change setting to "color notes by track"
- scroll content to center
Hmm, not quite sure I understand. There's a script in the bundle called "FTC_MeMagic (1-8) Vertically scroll to center of notes in item". You could call this from inside another script. Then again this scrolls to the center of the active editor item (not all selected items). Is that the issue?

Btw, if somebody is still using the older scripts like "FTC_scroll_up_to_content" etc. I'd recommend you swap to the counterpart in the bundle, e.g. "FTC_MeMagic (1-12) Vertically scroll to highest note in item". The algorithm is a lot faster, and there's a lot of other issues I fixed.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #114
_Stevie_

Yeah, sorry that was put in a complicated way.

Basically, I thought that the isolated algorithm for "scroll to center"
would be more efficient in order to chain it with my additional steps.
Because I wouldn't need all the other feautres like open the ME, checking for mouse context, etc...

Quote:
Then again this scrolls to the center of the active editor item (not all selected items). Is that the issue?
Yeah, that would be another thing. Not sure if it can be solved, though?

I can make a video if that makes more sense.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #115
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Basically, I thought that the isolated algorithm for "scroll to center"
would be more efficient in order to chain it with my additional steps.
Because I wouldn't need all the other feautres like open the ME, checking for mouse context, etc...
I wouldn't worry about efficiency, these extra steps are skipped in non-contextual mode (I just pushed an update to make sure the ME is not opened under any circumstance). The algorithm might be 1ms faster when isolated, but that really is negligible. The actual zooming/scrolling part is really CPU intensive and can in some cases take up to 500 ms

Nevertheless, I could publish isolated algorithms. That could be useful to other scripters as well, maybe somebody wants to integrate that into his API. (Might be too "hacky" for an API though, hehe )

Quote:
Yeah, that would be another thing. Not sure if it can be solved, though?
It can be solved, for example the script "FTC_Multi edit zoom" zooms to the content of all selected items. I thinking that as a next step I'll add multi-editing capabilities to MeMagic. All actions will then also work when multi-editing.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #116
FeedTheCat

Out of curiosity:
Is there anybody here who is multi-editing (working on multiple MIDI items from multiple tracks at the same time) that does NOT use the setting "Media item selection is linked to visibility"?
Old 07-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #117
_Stevie_

Good to know regarding the CPU effiency!

Quote:
Out of curiosity:
Is there anybody here who is multi-editing (working on multiple MIDI items from multiple tracks at the same time) that does NOT use the setting "Media item selection is linked to visibility"?
IIRC I turned off all „linked“ options. I will make a video tomorrow to explain why.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:56 AM   #118
reapero

Apparrently i have it turned off as well
Old 07-26-2020, 03:44 AM   #119
_Stevie_

Hey FTC,

here's the video and sorry for the rambling

https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...agt4dHmSQw9aBH
Old 07-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #120
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hey FTC,

here's the video and sorry for the rambling

https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...agt4dHmSQw9aBH
Very interesting! I really like the soloing concept. I recently was playing around with the new solo items stuff and made a simple action to solo items under mouse cursor. Also added it to ReaPack if anybody's interested. I'll definitely now use the action "Item properties: Toggle solo" to replicate what you are doing. Thx!

As you mentioned, the issue is that there is no way (that I know of) to find out which items are visible in the editor. The only thing I can think of at the moment is using the selection link.

Anyways, I don't know when I'll get to adding multi-editing to MeMagic. That might get a bit complicated. I quickly put together a script called "FTC_Multi edit scroll" which is very similar to the multi edit zoom script. It's now on ReaPack. It opens all selected items in the editor and scrolls to their center. Didn't test it much, hope it works