Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
JimmyTheSaint
Human being with feelings

Default stop JS MIDI plugin from passing result to subsequent plugins?

My drum controller has 30 triggers that, for ease of keeping track of things, I've programmed to put out MIDI notes 1-30. My drum VST, BFD3, has a key map that places drum kit pieces on various notes in the range 24-127, with many of the ones I use regularly in the range 14-30. I want to map my drum controller in various ways to BFD by using 30 instances of the JS "MIDI single note map" in the tracks' FX, one instance per trigger. The glitch is that if the output of one instance of the plugin matches the input of a plugin farther down the list, then an input note from my controller gets processed twice and ends up triggering the wrong kit piece. For example, MIDI note 9 on my controller maps to kick on MIDI note 24. But there's a subsequent instance of "MIDI single note map" that processes MIDI note 24 for my #24 trigger, so that triggers #9 and #24 both go to #24's output, which is MIDI note 31, and the kick on #24 never plays. My newbie question is: is there a way to make this kind of plugin stop passing the MIDI note along once it's received a hit?

From a non-newbie perspective, I've looked over the code for the plugin, but I don't know enough to see if there's a way to make the plugin send the note immediately to the VST and abort further processing. I realize that, alternatively, I can re-do BFD's key map to eliminate this kind of interference by ensuring that all its kit pieces are on MIDI notes that my controller doesn't output, but that would cause side effects with a whole lot of other BFD patches that depend on the same key map so that I'll have a whole lot of work to do remapping everything. And then if I ever want to change the patch on my controller so that its triggers put out a different configuration of MIDI notes, I'll run into side effects. That's why my first and best choice is to find out if it's possible to control the MIDI interactions between a stack of MIDI FX as I've asked in my newbie question above.
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

This is not my strongest area, but I suspect this might be possible with MIDI buses.

I'll call f or reinforcements....

ON EDIT:Oops, just seen it's a JS plug-in that I don't think can use MIDI buses, sorry.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #3
mschnell

Yep, nicholas is right. Currently JSFXes can't benefit from the Midi Bus routing, Reaper provides. They need to be programmed to work with Midi buses. Otherwise this would be a perfect example of making use of Midi Buses.

A simple way would be to move all notes in a free rage (e.g. very high) by means or "Midi Transpose Notes" and map them to the desired Notes by the JS "MIDI single note map".
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:57 AM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Currently JSFXes can't benefit from the Midi Bus routing, Reaper provides. They need to be programmed to work with Midi buses. Otherwise this would be a perfect example of making use of Midi Buses.
-Michael
Just wondering also if the OP might be able to find a VST plug-in that could be used instead .....?
Old 07-11-2020, 02:27 AM   #5
JimmyTheSaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
They need to be programmed to work with Midi buses. Otherwise this would be a perfect example of making use of Midi Buses.
hmm, after a quick read of section 17.12 of the manual, I must say I don't quite fully understand MIDI busses yet, so I guess it's a good thing they won't work in this case.

Another issue is that I've noticed BFD's key map doesn't even have enough empty spaces in the high range for me to move everything out of the way and leave MIDI notes 0-30 clear. From what you're saying, though, it seems my only option is to do this bookeeping chore of re-arranging things to create a new key map. That's easy enough, I guess, it's just that I know sometime down the road there's going to be some weird and confusing side effect due to forgetting or misplacing something because I actually have four controllers from the same manufacturer that I like to use simultaneously in various combinations with a lot of custom patches in BFD that supplement its stock drum kits with select kit pieces from their add-on modules. I've kept good design patterns for years so that I could keep a mental grasp of what's going on, and I hope this change doesn't throw things off in unpredictable ways. I wish I could treat a stack of track FX like numbered lines in a FORTRAN program or whatever so that you could employ a GOTO statement at condition-able slots in the sequence of FX.
JimmyTheSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheSaint View Post
hmm, after a quick read of section 17.12 of the manual, I must say I don't quite fully understand MIDI busses yet, so I guess it's a good thing they won't work in this case.
I'm not surprised. It's woefully inadequate. I'm rewriting it from scratch (with more than a little help from mschnell) : the rewrite will appear in the next version upgrade.