Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
zakco
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper as an OSX Mastering Platform

Hello all,

This is my first post here.
I am very interested in Reaper for OSX as a mastering platform. From the little reading I've done it seems that there are still a few features to be ported from the windows version, but I think it's great that Justin has been working towards full OSX compatibility.

Since moving to Mac/PTHD about a year ago, I've been seriously disappointed with the lack of mastering software available for OSX. I feel that there is a huge opportunity waiting for someone to step up to the plate. What I personally would like to see is similar functionality to what Wavelab's Montage provides. That is:
-Object (clip) inserts
-The ability to render a clip to a new file (with or without processing)
-Numeric Track marker/pause editing
-PQ reporting
-CD text
-ISRC
-image file support

Are there any reaper users here that are familiar with Wavelab and could comment on these features?

I have read the feature overview from this site but most of the items I listed weren't mentioned or lacked specifics...If I've missed something obvious I apologize in advance...

Thanks!

-Zak
zakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Hello all,
-Object (clip) inserts
Per Item-FX ? That feature is there. Hit SHIFT+E on the selected item to add effect, after which a small FX symbol will appear on the item in the timeline. You can access the fx chain(click), copy the FX Chain to another item(click+drag) and delete the FX Chain (ALT+click). The FX Chain button can be present in every item even if the chain is empty. The preferences have an option to make it so.

Quote:
-The ability to render a clip to a new file (with or without processing)
-Numeric Track marker/pause editing
Render item as new take (with configurable tail, default 2000ms)
Apply Track FX as new take (stereo, mono is a separate command)

Markers can be accessed via keyboard commands if you like, the position can be numerically changed.

SWS wrote an extension that creates a marker(& region) window for you to access quickly. You can only edit the names in that window so far though. It can export and import that list as well.
Find it here:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21294

Quote:
-PQ reporting
-CD text
-ISRC
-image file support
Someone else needs to answer these querries. I've used CD Architect for that job in the past, but not Reaper.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
zakco

airon, thanks for the info, I haven't tried Reaper yet, I'll probably wait until there is an official OSX release with full, but this is the kind of info I needed.

I really like the idea of copying entire fx chains from object to object. Wavelab only allows one insert at a time to be copied/pasted. Reaper is looking very promising for the future!

Anyone know about PQ/ISRC/CD text etc...?

Thanks!

-Zak
zakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
daverich

what I do is treat the album as one long song, then insert cd markers using the #markers.

Then I import the resulting file into Nero (not sure if that's available on OSX) and using nero you can add ISRC.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
semiquaver

dsp-quattro can do your isrc codes on mac - also Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor. Both are pretty interesting editors besides. Otherwise sonic studio's Premaster CD is mac only and probably the gold standard for this kind of stuff. Reaper needs a few things to become a real mastering option - until then these are good mac options.
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
mrelwood

Really old thread, but I feel the need to mention. No need to buy $300 software for this, it is pretty easy to use TextEdit for adding ISRC codes.

1. Build the CD in Reaper and render the project as CUE/BIN using Markers to define new tracks. Note that there must be a marker at the very beginning of the project! Lead-in silences can be entered in the render dialogue.
2. Open the .cue in TextEdit, and add UPC/EAN code (CATALOG), CD-Text and ISRC codes following this example:

(Edit: Since indents were not shown, I used dots. Replace the dots with spaces.)

CATALOG 1234567890123
TITLE "My great music album"
PERFORMER "The Burners"
FILE "rendered_file.bin" BINARY
..TRACK 01 AUDIO
....ISRC ABCDE1234567
....TITLE "My First Song"
....INDEX 00 00:00:00
....INDEX 01 00:02:00
..TRACK 02 AUDIO
....ISRC ABCDE1234568
....TITLE "My Second Song"
....INDEX 00 04:12:12
....INDEX 01 04:14:12

Just be careful not to remove or edit the Indexes, and the CUE/BIN combination can be burned with the free burners such as Simplyburns and Liquid CD.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
PaulRich78

Hi, is this basically the same for PC
What is the heading for the old thread?
Thanks
Paul
PaulRich78 is offline   Reply With Quote