Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
baba
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI note ranges split to individual tracks

Hello,

Is it possible to split certain MIDI notes to separate MIDI channels and send them each to individual tracks where I can apply different effects on each track?

For example, on Track #1 I have a synth and I am using Js's MultiChannelKeyRange VST to filter some notes on MIDI channel 1 and other notes on MIDI channel 2. On track #2 I need to receive sound from notes filtered from MIDI channel 1 from track #1, and on track #3 to receive sound from notes filtered from MIDI channel 2 from track #1, then to apply different effects on track #2 and track #3.

P.S. I can achieve this by applying multiple instances of the VST synth, but that is not what I need. I need to achieve this only with one synth.
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
baba

Is there someone who can answer to my question, please?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
mschnell

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish, but in Reaper close to anything on Midi streams can be accomplished by creating an appropriate JSFX script (if not a fitting one is already provided or can somewhere be found).

So the short answer to your question is "yes, of course".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
lachrimae

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wanting to split the outgoing audio from your synth to two different tracks. This is only possible if your synth has the capability of sending audio from midi 1 to one audio channel, and audio from midi 2 to another audio channel.

In other words, you're trying to use Reaper to split the audio of a VSTi but that would have to be done within the VSTi itself, and then routed via Reaper afterwards.

What's the synth?
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
baba

Please allow me to make the question simpler.
I have set a VSTi(ReaSynth) on track #1 and filtered MIDI notes C3-B3 to be sent to MIDI channel 1 and the rest, before C3 and after B3, to be sent to MIDI channel 2. Now, on track #2 I need to have distortion applied only on C3-B3 (i.e. track #2 to receive from MIDI channel 1), and the rest notes being EQed on track #3 which receives from MIDI channel 2.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
lachrimae

Ok, so I did understand you correctly. The reason it won't work is because the Synth does not split it's output. Midi can enter the synth from any channel but once the synth converts those notes to audio, everything is converged into one stereo output. If it were possible there would be a selection on the synth that allowed you to send one MIDI input channel to a specific audio output (I'm not aware of a synth that has that built in but you could certainly create one in Reaktor).

You'll have to use two synths or, for a half-assed solution, you could use a multi-band audio splitter to send that middle band to a different output.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by **** View Post
Please allow me to make the question simpler.
I have set a VSTi(ReaSynth) on track #1 and filtered MIDI notes C3-B3 to be sent to MIDI channel 1 and the rest, before C3 and after B3, to be sent to MIDI channel 2. Now, on track #2 I need to have distortion applied only on C3-B3 (i.e. track #2 to receive from MIDI channel 1), and the rest notes being EQed on track #3 which receives from MIDI channel 2.
So you need midi based remote control on the distortion and EQ plugins. If those don't provide appropriate parameters you can control via ReaMidiControl, you can use other (volume-changing) plugins to bypass them.

Of course if using multiple tracks (which is not strictly necessary, as a single track FX chain allows for parallel audio routes), you need to route the midi stream to the other tracks.

-Michael
Old 03-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
baba

Oh, it seems that I am forced to use the old way then. thanks guys for your help.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #9
mschnell

Still no seeing your point. But hoping you can manage it. good luck.

-Michael
Old 03-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Still no seeing your point. But hoping you can manage it. good luck.

-Michael
Michael, my point is separating the audio signal from one synth to two different audio tracks, one will receive audio signal only from MIDI ch.1, and the other from MIDI ch.2. Each of the MIDI channels have different MIDI notes filtering.
When I play the synth, the audio signal is received to both tracks and played simoultaniously no matter if I set track 2 to receive from MIDI ch.1 and track 3 from MIDI ch.2 only.

What I need to achieve is when I play the notes on track 4, two sends are set to send signal to track 1 and invoke MIDI ch.1 and ch.2 accordingly, and track 2 and 3 to receive audio signal from MIDI ch.1 and ch.2 accordingly when invoked by the keypress.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
magwa101

Quote:
Michael, my point is separating the audio signal from one synth to two different audio tracks, one will receive audio signal only from MIDI ch.1, and the other from MIDI ch.2. Each of the MIDI channels have different MIDI notes filtering.
When I play the synth, the audio signal is received to both tracks and played simoultaniously no matter if I set track 2 to receive from MIDI ch.1 and track 3 from MIDI ch.2 only.

What I need to achieve is when I play the notes on track 4, two sends are set to send signal to track 1 and invoke MIDI ch.1 and ch.2 accordingly, and track 2 and 3 to receive audio signal from MIDI ch.1 and ch.2 accordingly when invoked by the keypress.

I am wondering what you came up with, I submitted a similar question just today:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204529
magwa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Michael, my point is separating the audio signal from one synth to two different audio tracks, one will receive audio signal only from MIDI ch.1, and the other from MIDI ch.2.
So this simply is two synths.

-Michael