Old 08-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
AudioWonderland
Human being with feelings

Default Change color of Channel strip?

How do you change the color of the entire channel strip in the mixer, not just the label section? I figured it out on my old machine and apparently never documented How I did it. I remember it being a checkbox in the preferences or an edit to the theme but I cannot figure it out now. Can anyone point me in a direction for this?
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
cubic13

As I guess that you are using Reaper 5, it mainly depends on the theme. Basically, you can tint or not the entire strips of the mixer by ticking/unticking this command :

Preferences > Appearance > Track Control panels > Tint track panel backgrounds

BUT, with Reaper 5 theming implementation, this command doesn't do anything if the two following conditions are met :
- the two mcp_bg(sel).png files are fully opaque.
- there is a version 5 non Walter instruction in the rtconfig.txt header of the theme.

In this case, the intensity of the coloring will depend of the amount of opacity defined in these files. This is how, for several themes, the coloring will only be seeable on the labels : their area are often define with little or no opacity. All this is to give at the themer a precise control of the panels tint.

There is more : if, in the rtconfig.txt file of the theme, there is also a tinttcp x non Walter command in its header, the Tint track panel backgrounds will simply be greyed out, with other commands relative to the media items tint, this to give at the themer an added control of what will be displayed. The drawback is that the user is no longer able to tweak the coloring intensity of these.

HTWH...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
Not_Here

I love the random knowledge I come across reading through the forum late at night.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #4
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
As I guess that you are using Reaper 5, it mainly depends on the theme. Basically, you can tint or not the entire strips of the mixer by ticking/unticking this command :

Preferences > Appearance > Track Control panels > Tint track panel backgrounds

BUT, with Reaper 5 theming implementation, this command doesn't do anything if the two following conditions are met :
- the two mcp_bg(sel).png files are fully opaque.
- there is a version 5 non Walter instruction in the rtconfig.txt header of the theme.

In this case, the intensity of the coloring will depend of the amount of opacity defined in these files. This is how, for several themes, the coloring will only be seeable on the labels : their area are often define with little or no opacity. All this is to give at the themer a precise control of the panels tint.

There is more : if, in the rtconfig.txt file of the theme, there is also a tinttcp x non Walter command in its header, the Tint track panel backgrounds will simply be greyed out, with other commands relative to the media items tint, this to give at the themer an added control of what will be displayed. The drawback is that the user is no longer able to tweak the coloring intensity of these.

HTWH...
That's what I wad looking for! Thank you! I have done it with this theme before so it should work
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Please see this post

Please note, since this is commonly misunderstood, that the tintcp command has no effect whatsoever over colouring, it merely greys out in the preferences to indicate that the commands won't do anything with the theme you are currently using. It indicates this very poorly, and has been a source of confusion since pretty much the day it was introduced Changing it would allow you to change your global preference, which likely was already ticked anyway, but your theme would look the same.

If you want to change the custom colouring of a 'version 5' theme, you can either convert it to a pre-'version 5' theme and then use the old, very crude, colouring method (almost certainly not what you want), or you can swap out some backgrounds, for which I suggest asking the themer who made your theme.