Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #281
ObiK
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Yep. There's a reason I'm back here bitching about the lack of score editor, and that reason is *not* that I hate Reaper - it's because I hate having had to leave it!
Agreed, every once in a while I open up FL just for the workflow.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #282
dea-man

I'll tell you the thing I love about FL10.

It's fun! Really fun!

Last edited by dea-man; 08-29-2012 at 12:27 PM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #283
ObiK

Yeah, I wish Reaper had "modes" to change up the workflow. Transformer Reaper, why you no exist?!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #284
bradleyfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Yeah, I wish Reaper had "modes" to change up the workflow. Transformer Reaper, why you no exist?!
Obik, are the "On" and "Off" modes not enough?
Steve
Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #285
fearnot

Considering the frustration I had with my previous DAW....no hate here. J
Old 08-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #286
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Obik, are the "On" and "Off" modes not enough?
Steve
Lol, if only my creativity were as easy to manage!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #287
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmorphling View Post
I consider myself a future notation editor user and I do agree that half baked solutions aren't the best. Just looking at alternatives.

I am actually learning quite a bit about notation and I use musescore during lunch to practice writing things without a keyboard.
"half baked"? - may I read anything into this? ;-)
pbognar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #288
Jedi

I hate that I cannot make "Marker text" LARGER! I use markers
(as I sure many of us do) for all kinds of cues, and instructions
to myself while recording. But I can't READ THE BUGGERS unless
I'm sitting right at the monitors. If I lean back to play an
instrument, I just can't see them anymore.

I wish there were a "font size and color" dialog in the "edit
marker" menu! Color can be an issue on some themes - it would
be nice to also be able to change the font color for better
contrast on certain themes.

Jedi
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #289
Sigilus

still no in-the-box support for wave.extensible
still no fix for multi-ch sends.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #290
Link0126

Why do we not have the ability to lower the track channel count to 1 channel yet and effectively get real mono tracks? Why are we still throwing away almost half of our CPU power processing mono sources twice for no reason? For every plug in that doesn't say (mono) next to it's name and that's being used on a mono source, that's essentially what you are doing...

It's way cheaper for me to switch DAWs than it is to buy a new computer just to waste half it's CPU... But of course, that probably won't happen anytime soon.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #291
ivansc

? A stereo only plug will always do this. it is only the source track that would be any different as far as I know.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #292
braj

I just came back from a foray into Studio One, which has a great easy to use groove system. I can't say i hate the SWS extension solution but something more integrated (ie. not a hack using markers) would be, well, 'groovy.' Right now for my needs this is my only real big 'want' everything else is great. After using a host that many find very intuitive, I feel so much relief getting back to work with Reaper which just 'works' better for me personally.
braj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #293
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by braj View Post
I can't say i hate the SWS extension solution but something more integrated (ie. not a hack using markers) would be, well, 'groovy.'
SWS is not a hack! Its extension which officially supported by REAPER. And it works great. I can't imagine using REAPER without SWS now (probably i wouldn't be using REAPER at all without it). And who cares its 3rd party if it works?

Just saying (again) HUGE thanks to SWS team for what you've done with REAPER!
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #294
braj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
SWS is not a hack! Its extension which officially supported by REAPER. And it works great. I can't imagine using REAPER without SWS now (probably i wouldn't be using REAPER at all without it). And who cares its 3rd party if it works?
No not SWS, but the way that particular feature, the groove implementation utilizing the marker system, is sort of a hack. BTW I LOVE SWS, it really makes Reaper a mature product.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #295
Phisk

What do i hate about reaper? - Low Price.
Phisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #296
braj

And that said there are actually things I appreciate about it over Studio One's version, primarily that it always will display the markers nicely as long as you have them starting in the right place, where Studio one seems random and if the groove isn't 'on the beat' enough you will just get a standard grid, not see the groove, and it becomes much less handy for writing notes in time to the groove. Anyhow the more experience I get with the SWS solution the easier it is to use.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #297
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
I hate when some users can't spent some time and learn how to customize Reaper for their own needs and starts yelling how unintuitive this DAW is
This Quote might be display in BIG RED AND TWINKLE on the HEADER of this website
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #298
Link0126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
? A stereo only plug will always do this. it is only the source track that would be any different as far as I know.
Yes, I know. We need to be able change our tracks to 1 channel, not just move the 2nd pin to the other side. Making it a 1 channel track will force those stereo plugins (not all plug in makers create mono and stereo versions of their plugs b/c in other DAWS their plug in will see how many channels the track is and adjust automattically) to operate in mono saving about 40% processing power.

I'm starting to get into using console emulation and it's really a shame I have to waste so much processing power simply b/c I can't create a 1 channel track.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:52 AM   #299
paulr01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukati View Post
All you Reaper users, what do you hate about reaper ? This isnt meant to trash Reaper, cause I love it. Just curious what you hate about it.

I hate it for its greatest strength, customization. I spend so much time looking into the best way to set it up, that I forget to make music with it. I wish it just came out of the box a little better setup with a more "complete" tool list... like maybe having the SWS functions automatically in there.

Steve
Have look at this. https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...ut-Reaper.html

Makes a lot of sense to me.
paulr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:30 AM   #300
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr01 View Post
Have look at this. https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...ut-Reaper.html

Makes a lot of sense to me.
Some of his points are correct, but then you see this...

Quote:
Reaper uses terms like “Media Item”, “Cursor”, “Action”, “Region” etc…
And all I can think is... if you can't figure out what those terms mean without reading a manual... you should probably just go back to using your portastudio!

Also he seems to be a fan of Digital Performer.

As an industry professional with 15 years experience in QA, tech support, product management, audio engineering, etc etc etc.... and as someone who knows *ALL* of the DAW's and how they function...... Digital Performer is the single most incomprehensible piece of software I have ever used. That includes all variants of Linux!

It's funny what people prioritize.... reading his other articles, he's a fan of the per-effect wet/dry function. Personally I hate it, because it can (with the wrong plugins) completely destroy the phase of a track. I never use it, and if I could WALTER it away, I would without any commiseration!

Last edited by Amberience; 12-22-2021 at 05:42 AM.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #301
alxgvr

The fact that you can not use it without SWS extentions.
It is so puoorly customiseble by default. In term of appearence.
alxgvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:36 AM   #302
alxgvr

The fact that you can not select multiple tracks and rout them all to new track using rmb context menu. Some thing like "Send to new track".
alxgvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #303
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Some of his points are correct....
I find it hilarious that somebody who clearly has no idea of how to design a web site would nevertheless use one to criticise design issues in something else.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:52 AM   #304
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I find it hilarious that somebody who clearly has no idea of how to design a web site would nevertheless use one to criticise design issues in something else.
Opinions are like ... well... you know the phrase.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #305
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

This thread is from 2012.

some of its content may be outdated.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #306
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr01 View Post
This is an outdated Reaper rant posted into an even more outdated thread.

I agree on some things, disagree on others but IIRC I have read an admiral bumblebee article some time ago, definitely newer than this one, where he says something along the lines that he had tried Reaper several times in past and it didn’t click with him until then and that he now really likes most of it.

So the linked article is probably not even a representation of its writer’s opinion anymore.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #307
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
This is an outdated Reaper rant posted into an even more outdated thread.

I agree on some things, disagree on others but IIRC I have read an admiral bumblebee article some time ago, definitely newer than this one, where he says something along the lines that he had tried Reaper several times in past and it didn’t click with him until then and that he now really likes most of it.

So the linked article is probably not even a representation of its writer’s opinion anymore.
Nah, it's still pretty representative of his viewpoint. Check his newer 30 day series on Reaper; most of his opinions didn't change all that much. He loves the power, he just hates having to DIY everything. A fair enough position IMHO, but shouldn't be taken as some sort of objective viewpoint.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #308
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Nah, it's still pretty representative of his viewpoint. Check his newer 30 day series on Reaper; most of his opinions didn't change all that much. He loves the power, he just hates having to DIY everything. A fair enough position IMHO, but shouldn't be taken as some sort of objective viewpoint.
Looking at his viewpoint, I'ld say it aligns with my personal views pretty well. There's many things I love about Reaper. I love all the features, and how most everything can be reconfigured to personal preferences.

However, I hate that I have to learn an entire WALTER scripting language to be able to fully take advantage of Reaper's configuration abilities, and in many instances further learn along that path that some of the items I wanted to configure to my preference can't be configured.

Some examples of items which can't be configured to user preference in Reaper at this time.
1.TCP/MCP configuration limitation. The TCP can't be configured to include additional action buttons, so Reaper's TCP can include buttons other DAWs have on their TCP/MCP. Reaper could really benefit by adding to its TCP/MCP template, the ability to include additional action buttons, just like you can do when creating custom action menu bars. For example, I can create a Track Freeze button on a custom action menu bar but I can't put that same button where I feel it belongs which is on the TCP header area. Yes, there are work arounds but none of them quite meet the preference intent.

2. Transport configuration limitation. Quite the same as TCP/MCP problem. You can't add additional action item buttons to the transport. You can create a custom action menu bar to include all the template defined transport buttons and then add additional action buttons to that custom action menu bar, but then you can't place that custom action menu bar in the transport's defined area.

Scripting is not something that is desirable for the majority of Reaper users who wish to take advantage of Reaper's reconfiguration abilities. Reaper could really benefit by making this much more user friendly for the average user but I have to imagine this is a pretty steep task to achieve. For example, you can adjust button layouts,replace button images, arrangements, and the sizes of each button on the TCP through WALTER scripting. However, a visual editor which writes the scripting actions for you would be much more user friendly. Users should be able to drag and drop, resize,add/delete and arrange the buttons on the TCP to their preferences without having to learn a scripting language to do so. Yes, the majority of that can all be done currently by learning WALTER but a majority of users don't want to put that much time/effort in learning how to do it that way, especially when there are other DAWs and programs which allow them to achieve the similar results through visual UI editing methods.

When you take those items into consideration, you end up finding yourself spending way too much time/effort to achieve the desired results instead of working with Reaper for the reason you actually purchased it for....to make music.

I'll additionally add, if I'm having to dig in and learn a programming language, then I would hope it would have some personal benefits to myself outside of using Reaper. I've learned a big part of writing WALTER code, I currently have no use for this new found skill outside of configuring Reaper. It therefore, feels like a lot of wasted effort. Maybe someone could point out something I'm missing but so far I've not seen any job postings which call out, "Must have WALTER coding experience" and therefore, I haven't added this new skill of mine to my resume. However, there are a lot of job postings requesting "QT Designer experience" which is a UI visual editor.

Apparently it was a big feature announcement when Reaper supported "WALTER" for UI customization. Personally, I'll be more excited if it ever supports QT Designer.
https://youtu.be/vde95l737PI

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-22-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #309
Wallaby

Default Cracks

I use cracks only
There is a lot of crack Reaper zip to find but it's all the same...

what everyone hates is Kennys Hairstyle
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #310
Giovanni_B

Kenny staring at me without blinking.

That's something I find unsettling.
Giovanni_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #311
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukati View Post
All you Reaper users, what do you hate about reaper ? This isnt meant to trash Reaper, cause I love it. Just curious what you hate about it.

I hate it for its greatest strength, customization. I spend so much time looking into the best way to set it up, that I forget to make music with it. I wish it just came out of the box a little better setup with a more "complete" tool list... like maybe having the SWS functions automatically in there.

Steve
Edit: I just noticed this is a decade-old zombie necro thread. But I still stand by my statements below...

I've got mine pretty well customized too, but I have to agree that the biggest fault, for people just getting started, would be stupid default settings all over the place (similar to Windows in that way).

Some customizations are user-specific, such as toolbars and custom actions. But many are not, and countless hours of new-user time and frustration could be saved if there were better defaults.

(End of commentary, Start of suggestions)
---------
A couple examples in File-Save As:
For a new project, Create Folder should be checked, as should Copy Files to Project Folder.

The default subfolder for media should have a default name in Reaper Preferences, such as 'media'.

Long story short: Pretty much all the stuff Kenny does in this video should be default:
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#pjey57lAp1k
-------------

I have trouble imagining what possible issues could result from putting these defaults into the next release; perhaps someone could point out any problems it could cause?

Last edited by Philbo King; 12-22-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #312
Elevate Audio

I really dislike that when a track is highlighted and you zoom in vertically the waveform will scroll off the screen. I can't believe Reaper doesn't maintain focus on the selected track and keep it on the screen. Very basic stuff. Also is there a way for Reaper to add renders directly into iTunes??
Elevate Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #313
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevate Audio View Post
I really dislike that when a track is highlighted and you zoom in vertically the waveform will scroll off the screen. I can't believe Reaper doesn't maintain focus on the selected track and keep it on the screen.
preferences - Editing behavior - Vertical Zoom center
several flavors to choose from
Old 12-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #314
Elevate Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
preferences - Editing behavior - Vertical Zoom center
several flavors to choose from
Many thanks for that tip. Is there a way for Reaper to put renders into my iTunes library??
Elevate Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #315
Jazzy2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
The FX Windows, oh man, how I hate the FX Windows... I hide them like an ugly girlfriend when people walk in..... shamefully ugly.

Other than that, I love it, anything else is just an idea on how to make it better for me.
It's true that it is a very old thread but hey! this hasn't changed.
The FX windows are still ugly.
Jazzy2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #316
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy2040 View Post
It's true that it is a very old thread but hey! this hasn't changed.
The FX windows are still ugly.
+1
Another thing I wanted to alter through Reaper's scripting and learned I couldn't. Was directed to modify my Window's theme instead, to be able to stop the ugly FX's window from blinding me in a dark room.....but wait, now my Windows OS is too dark to work in.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #317
Malfunction

Zooming to point
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:36 AM   #318
volvagia

Anyone coming from Studio one? There's stuff I miss about S1 like how easy it is to side chain. I've been experiencing to many issues side chaining in reaper with VST3 Plugins. I also prefer the look and feel of S!'s midi editor. But I do prefer how Reaper loads and functions so much faster and is much more customizable to how I want to work. I can't decide which DAW to use.
volvagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #319
Bruceqld

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvagia View Post
Anyone coming from Studio one? There's stuff I miss about S1 like how easy it is to side chain. I've been experiencing to many issues side chaining in reaper with VST3 Plugins. I also prefer the look and feel of S!'s midi editor. But I do prefer how Reaper loads and functions so much faster and is much more customizable to how I want to work. I can't decide which DAW to use.
I started using Reaper a few months ago after using Studio One Pro for several years. The routing in Reaper is far more advanced and full featured than Studio One, be it side chaining plugins or routing tracks. As a result you will need to spend a bit more time getting your head around it, but it is well worth the investment! Like most things in Reaper, once the penny drops you will be amazed at what you can achieve, and how quickly and easily it can be done.

As far as the midi editor goes,I guess it must be subjective, as my main reason for seeking out Reaper was frustration at S1's midi implementation. Their lanes only approach any midi control message in the midi editor is so damned fiddly and slow to use. The absence of a midi event list editor is also bemusing. As a final straw, as I began to transfer more than 100 projects for my live show involving 32 track audio, fx and midi control for external gear, I discovered that S1 is actually incapable of exporting a midi Program change to a simple midi file! I kid you not. I even contacted Presonus to confirm this insanity after being told as much on the support forum.

FWIW I would absolutely recommend spending some more time in Reaper, especially if you have serious amounts of work to get done and require advanced features. It is arguably not the prettiest, but it is far more capable than S1, incredibly fast and rock solid. In light of how much I can get done, I have even grown to love it's giant white 2000's dialogue boxes and hope they never change them On the other hand, if using a DAW is a hobby and you just like to tinker around, it won't make much difference. Go with the one you have the most fun in
Bruceqld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:14 AM   #320
volvagia

[QUOTE=Bruceqld;2509921]I started using Reaper a few months ago after using Studio One Pro for several years. The routing in Reaper is far more advanced and full featured than Studio One, be it side chaining plugins or routing tracks. As a result you will need to spend a bit more time getting your head around it, but it is well worth the investment! Like most things in Reaper, once the penny drops you will be amazed at what you can achieve, and how quickly and easily it can be done.

Interesting. Thanks for your insight. I agree
volvagia is offline   Reply With Quote