Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
574X
Human being with feelings

Default ReaXcomp - Steeper Crossover Option, Aux In, Width

Digital compression software is a very complicated and difficult topic, but if I'm not mistaken, I should have some reasonable and beautiful solution the issues that appear to me to exist.

There are many advantages to the wide, transparent crossovers that ReaXcomp has, when compared to other incredible multiband compressors. However, there is the disadvantage that it creates odd colorations of the sound when trying to mimic the characteristics of other multiband compressors.

The Problem #1:
In my experience operating ReaXcomp similarly to steeper-crossover multiband compressors requires more than 3 bands. Each additional band of compression then requires a lot of work to properly set up, and it creates a variety of peaks and notches, which require bandwidth adjustments to attempt to haphazardly rectify.

Proposed Solution:
Selectable crossover curves would allow for more aggressive sound shaping and sound design, which is a core, fundamental aspect of modern music. Almost everything is running through Live & FL's MB comps, but not ReaXcomp. Yet.
--
Imagine a world where the frequency you are hearing will compress a different instrument, exactly where you hear it, and where you want it.

ReaEQ with gain sidechaining can do this in some ways, as can 3rd party dynamic EQs like TDR Nova, but wouldn't AUX input in each band of ReaXcomp make more sense? It works well in ReaComp, but if you want the snare to punch through the low mids and the cymbals, without pumping the entire mix, ReaXcomp seems like the tool Cockos would have for the job.

--
The Problem #3
At the moment, AFAIK Cocos doesn't appear to have a straightforward, reliable method of addressing the stereo image. I've personally had issues with relying on using the track width in the routing options.

(Currently the best option is to use the JS plugins, at least for the M/S encoder and decoder to control side compression and eq, and bass mono summing.)

Proposed Solutions:
1) The most conventional approach is the option to compress only the side information. Is it my opinion that side compression is a staple of professional production or is it a fact? I honestly don't know, but I hope that Cockos can make this important addition.
2) Alternatively, 0-200% stereo image slider in each band of ReaXcomp would be amazing.
3) At the very least, even a 0-100% summing to mono would be spectacular, and I speculate, the most efficient to implement.

I've been holding back countless bug reports and proposals, but I feel that nearly the entirety of "modern" music being built on Multiband Compression without involving Cockos is a sad thing to see. I would like to experience more unique variety in the music of today, without requiring producers to sacrifice all the user friendly strengths and creature comforts of using the MB comps that have managed to define the sound of generation Z.
Thank you for your consideration.
574X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
Lokasenna

1. Steeper crossovers are going to make issues around the crossover points even worse, no?

2. This is a very long-standing FR, but still a good one.

3. You can do this using the JS Mid/Side Encode and Decode plugins before and after ReaXComp - just disable the I/O pins for channel 1 (Mid) and it will operate exclusively on the Side content.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
574X

Thanks for your response.

1. Steeper crossovers would necessitate fewer bands, and they would also sound as expected by comparison. Edit: This is merely my theory.

2. Why are there longstanding FRs? (Should I walk over to HQ and offer to work for free? I'd do it.)

3. True you could do that routing option, or route to 3 tracks, disabling master parent send, create your own crossovers, use ReaComp which has more options, and save the entire folder as a track template.

A bass sound designer or modern synth/sample based producer is tremendously helped by each improvement, as this functionality becomes faster and more flexible, on a track by track basis.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 574X View Post
1. Steeper crossovers would necessitate fewer bands, and they would also sound as expected by comparison. Edit: This is merely my theory.
Crossovers mess with the phase of your signal, and steeper crossovers mess with it more.

Quote:
2. Why are there longstanding FRs? (Should I walk over to HQ and offer to work for free? I'd do it.)
Welcome to Reaper. :P

Cockos is only two people and they mostly work on the features/bugs they think are important. Sidechaining for ReaXComp, a "rack view" for the FX browser, and better skinning options for Reaper's windows have been requested on and off for 10+ years.

Quote:
3. True you could do that routing option, or route to 3 tracks, disabling master parent send, create your own crossovers, use ReaComp which has more options, and save the entire folder as a track template.

A bass sound designer or modern synth/sample based producer is tremendously helped by each improvement, as this functionality becomes faster and more flexible, on a track by track basis.
Track templates and FX Chains are your friend.

Reaper is very much like Linux in that it can do a HELL of a lot, but often doesn't give things to you in one tidy package. It's arguably more productive for them to give us a whole bunch of smaller tools that we can chain/script/etc together.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
574X

Compression is just so critical. Maybe this shouldn't be a ReaXcomp thread. After all, it's about the sound and workflow of this entire generation of music.

Maybe we should be talking about an algorithm that provides clicky transients which are themselves leveled, eternal sustain, powerful, yet pleasing control over EQ, plus the stereo image, and does it in a way that doesn't require an entire rack when the solutions are possibly as simple as I've illustrated with these ReaXcomp updates.