Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
OBJGuitarist
Human being with feelings

Default Ableton's 'In' button in Reaper

Hey all. I just started using Reaper after spending the last 8 years or so with Ableton Live. There's one thing I do miss from Ableton that I haven't been able to figure out in Reaper and perhaps is not actually possible?

Ableton had an 'In' button on it's tracks that made the track 'live' the same as when you arm a track for recording but without actually recording on that track. So it would listen to (and process) whatever the input source was regardless of weather or not it was recording.

Now what this enabled me to do was to set up a dedicated track which had a virtual guitar amp effects chain on it that was constantly active but, muted and not being recorded to. So it was completely discreet. I would then have multiple other tracks receiving the processed audio from that track that I would record to. So essentially a virtual version of an external mic'd up amp. So when I armed any of those other tracks I would just hear the processed audio that I was about to record.

I hope that's clear to understand, (these things can be difficult to explain sometimes) and would love to hear if there's something I'm missing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
OBJGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
andyp24

On the Input Monitor button, there's an option for "Record Disable: Input Monitor Only". See if that does what you need.

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
OBJGuitarist

Thanks for that. It kind of does but not quite. Although I think the issue is now perhaps with the receiving track?

When the amp track is armed for recording I can turn the fader down and it seems to be doing what I want (processing audio discreetly). The problem is that the receiving track is constantly producing audio from the 'send' track (in this case amp hiss) even when it's not armed to record, regardless of which monitoring option I select. It still plays the monitored audio over the top of whatever items have been recorded previously from that channels output. What I want is for it to be silent until I arm it for recording just like if you were receiving a signal from an external input.

Also I seem to be hearing the audio at twice the volume (as if I'm hearing both tracks at once) while monitoring/recording. So when I play back what I've recorded (which is now only on the receive track) it's a lot quieter.

If I disarm the amp track then everything goes silent so, I could of course just arm both that track and the one I want to record to every time I need to record but that's a lot of extra clicks throughout a session and also doesn't deal with the volume issue.

Once again, I hope that makes sense!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #4
andyp24

Sounds like you need to fiddle with the Routing between the two tracks (Pre or Post Fader sends etc) to get it behaving as you want.

Can you either upload a test project to show how you've got it set up, or describe exactly how everything is routed to everything else and what modes each track is in (for Input and Monitor modes)?

Andy
Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
andyp24

Of course, you could always use the "Input FX" on the tracks you want the guitar processing on, instead of a dedicated track?

Then for multiple tracks in a project using the same Amp simulation, you could either duplicate one when you've got it set up, or save a track template with it already inserted.

Seems like a neater way of doing it, unless I'm missing something.

Andy
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
OBJGuitarist

It's just a way to save on processing power that's all. It means you don't end up with 7 or 8 instances of the overdrive/amp/speaker simulation effects chain. You just have it all on one dedicated track. Reaper seems a lot less cpu intensive than Ableton though so perhaps it's not necessary any more.

I think I've tried every routing option available but, if I can I'll make a little video of what I'm doing in the next couple of days to post here in case I'm missing something.

Thanks again for your help though!