Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Human being with feelings

Default How to best do loopy experimentation in Reaper

I feel that its not so straight forward with how to go about loopy experimentation with reaper. It seems Ableton Live is more designed for this type of work flow. Is there any vids or tuts on this particular area? Whats the most productive work flow for that loopy experimental writing process in reaper? I'm mostly talking about the electronic genres like techno, house, edm, idm, etc.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
TonE

Yes, Krüppelmididaw Ableton Live you can use, if you need crippled midi. Steinzeitdaw Cubase is also there, for stone age features like gigabytes of downloads, nobody knows for what. Ableton Live should be bought by Apple, as their concepts seem to match, as they think they know better how tools should be used, they are intelligent, users are idiots, like Steve Jobs said one button mouse is enough, end of story, Ableton said, one midi channel per track are enough, end of story. Dictatorship of developers.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
DarrenH

I've been on this path as well, trying to find a hybrid loop/DAW solution that fits how I work best. The few I know about are:

Mobius - probably the most full featured, in active use by many musicians. It doesn't seem to be in development any longer. It allows multiple loops of varying length which can be synced (or not). It's pretty freaky and worth checking out.

State Shirt's Mobius walkthrough, not in reaper but it's Mobius focused https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39TIDdXQd8

Playtime - It looks really promising but development on it appears slow. It looks very intuitive

Super 8 - JS looper for Reaper.

What I'm going back to now is: plain old Reaper. I've set myself up with a foot controller to start/stop punch recording and it seems to be going well so far. A quick selection and glue creates an instant loopable item. Plus you can set it up to do standard looper style work if you prefer that. https://youtu.be/lX9tv-h_stM?t=552

Hope this helps, there are people who are far more developed than I, so I hope you get more perspective from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
I feel that its not so straight forward with how to go about loopy experimentation with reaper. It seems Ableton Live is more designed for this type of work flow. Is there any vids or tuts on this particular area? Whats the most productive work flow for that loopy experimental writing process in reaper? I'm mostly talking about the electronic genres like techno, house, edm, idm, etc.

Last edited by DarrenH; 03-04-2019 at 04:15 AM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote