Old 02-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
BsmithB
Human being with feelings

Default HEELLLLPPP!!!

How did this start?

I downloaded a bunch of VSts and after installing them, they all populated in different folders across different folders in my "Program files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders. Reaper was having difficulty finding some of the vsts that I had loaded, so to be sure that reaper was checking in all the places it, I set my preferences to check both folders mentioned above.

What's going on?

When I open the DAW, or re-scan for plugins, reapear attempts to access all .dll files on my computer and crashes. Crash meaning that it opens a near infinite set of windows claiming that my 'operating system is not configured for this program'. It doesn't seem be just one file that it crashes on, but multiple.

What have I tried to fix the issue?

So... I uninstalled and reinstalled Reaper, which I didn't want to do because I didn't want to loose my files. It still won't open and displays the same error message.

I also tried moving the .dll files from the "root" folder in each of the program files to my desktop temporarily so that reaper wouldn't try to open them, but it seems those .dll files need to run all the time, and you can't move them.

Pleeeeeeeease help me! I really need to get back to making music.
BsmithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Don't put VST plugins in the program files directories, directly. And do not tell Reaper to scan the program files directories for VST plugins.

Put your VST plugin files in a sensibly named folder or folders. These folders can be within the program files directory if you want but it is not necessary. Point Reaper towards those specific folders only.

Or if you want to have one main folder for instance called VST plugins, which is in the program files directory, that's fine. You can put subfolders of VST plugins within that VST plugins directory. Then you can point Reaper at the main VST plugins folder. But not at the program files folder.

If Reaper is scanning your entire program files folders, it is trying to scan a bunch of dll files which are not VST plugins. Also probably quite a lot of them at that. That's not a good idea.

PS. It's a good idea to name your thread something appropriate, for instance "appropriate places to put VST plugins?" The title you gave it is very vague. I know you feel desperate for help but remember what this does for the forum. If anyone has a similar problem they will not be able to find it when they search for it because your title is too vague. Also you will probably get faster responses if you are more specific in the title of the thread.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-13-2019 at 10:01 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsmithB View Post
they all populated in different folders across different folders in my "Program files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders.

What's going on?
It is common for plugins that have their own installers to install into a specific directory, such as Steinberg, VSTPlugins, vstPlugins or any other variant.
Instead of having Reaper scan your .\Program Files (32 or 64 bit variants), specify in the Reaper options exactly where to look for Plugins, then it will never be a problem, as 99.9% of plugins with installers all install into a defined group of directories.

x86
.\Steinberg
.\VST Plugins
.\VSTPlugins

x64
.\Steinberg
.\Voxengo (If you have Voxengo plugins)
.\VstPlugins

Just look through both Program Files directories, see where plugins are living then tell Reaper to look specifically in those directories, rather than having it scan the root dir and all it's sub-directories, this is probably why it is crashing.

I tend to put DLL's for all plugins (without installers) into:
\Program Files\VstPlugins\

Yes I know it is the 64 bit directory, but I have never had any issues with having 32bit plugin DLL's in there - not sure if it makes any difference to Reaper actually.
Cranky Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:18 AM   #4
woogish

i dunno....
woogish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #5
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsmithB View Post
How did this start?

I downloaded a bunch of VSts and after installing them, they all populated in different folders across different folders in my "Program files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders. Reaper was having difficulty finding some of the vsts that I had loaded, so to be sure that reaper was checking in all the places it, I set my preferences to check both folders mentioned above.

What's going on?

When I open the DAW, or re-scan for plugins, reapear attempts to access all .dll files on my computer and crashes. Crash meaning that it opens a near infinite set of windows claiming that my 'operating system is not configured for this program'. It doesn't seem be just one file that it crashes on, but multiple.

What have I tried to fix the issue?

So... I uninstalled and reinstalled Reaper, which I didn't want to do because I didn't want to loose my files. It still won't open and displays the same error message.

I also tried moving the .dll files from the "root" folder in each of the program files to my desktop temporarily so that reaper wouldn't try to open them, but it seems those .dll files need to run all the time, and you can't move them.

Pleeeeeeeease help me! I really need to get back to making music.
In your post you say you download a bunch of vst's so I will assume that these are free vst's. Most of the free vst's can be moved to the folder of your choice, I just find where they installed at and move them to my e: where I have my vst folder. If I have a vst that won't work where I want it installed at it goes in the trash.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
enroe

Here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216463