Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #121
deeb
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
It's a one line script code edit to change each slider or the pan/mutes to be a learnable OSC string like the plugins' knobs
Thank you! I am not sure what you mean here. Edit what ? Make a custom action?
I want to be able to learn send levels for one track. For volume I can insert a volume plugin, for mute and sends I no way to do it.

Quote:
Or if button feedback LED and the multiple banks of buttons and knobs aren't needed just map (using Reaper learning) the MIDIMIX's midi output.
I will have to explore a bit as I am not sure about this too. Thank you!
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #122
billybuck

Deeb, you can control sends for 8 tracks via either or both of the top 2 rows of knobs from the script's "mixer" mode, but they will not be "bankable," meaning that if you have, say, 24 tracks in your project and you use the bank-right and bank-left controls to adjust which tracks the MIDIMix's faders, mutes, and pan knobs are controlling, the top knobs will not follow the bank, and will still be controlling only the 8 track sends you initially designated.

Note that none of this requires editing the script.

To control sends, you have to set up 8 custom actions. If you're not familiar with those, search for Kenny Gioia's excellent video tutorial. Each custom action will contain the following stock Reaper actions:

--Select Track [X]
--Adjust Volume of Send 1

Save that custom action and then, for example if you chose track 1 as X, map it to the top knob on the MIDIMix's first track. Then create another custom action for track 2: send 1, and so on.

This will control the topmost send's volume on each of 8 channels. You can also create 8 more similar actions for send 2 (if you use more than one send per track) and map them to the second row of knobs.

The only problem is, if you set this up for tracks 1-8, those top knobs will always control the sends for 1-8, even if you use the bank-right button so that your faders, mutes, and pans are now controlling tracks 9-16 or 17-24, etc.

The alternative is to do this in "instrument mode" [see the script's documentation] which temporarily switches the MIDIMIx into an alternate mode where all of the buttons, knobs, and faders can be mapped to control various parameters of a selected track. In this mode, I don't think you'd need to create a custom action that pre-selects the track, because (I think) it's already selected by switching into instrument mode. You can just map any knob to the Reaper stock action "adjust send 1 volume."

The drawback to the "instrument mode" method is that you can only adjust the sends for one designated track at a time, as you would by using the mouse in Reaper. You can't control them hands-on in real time, for example if you're doing a dub type mix where your sends are going to a delay and you want to actively vary that for each track while it's playing (or recording automation).
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #123
deeb

thank you so much billybuck for the big description!
Now i am not near the gear for some time so i'll have to wait a bit to get into!
I'll be back to it soon! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #124
billybuck

Good luck, Deeb, and let us know how it goes.

I can't say enough about how much power goldenarpharazon's script brings to this $99 device the size of a thin hardback book. I bought my MIDIMix with the goal of getting away from the mouse and screen as much as possible (at least during the tracking and final-mix phases of projects) and it really delivers.

A correction to my previous description after re-reading the script manual: in instrument mode you can't map *all* of the controls to parameters of the currently selected track--you can only map the top 3 rows of knobs (and those can be "banked" within the track to control an infinite amount of parameters on FX, sends, etc. on the selected track). This makes sense, as you would still need the mute buttons to select which track you're "instrumenting."

I haven't really experimented with instrument mode yet, as my main interest in the MIDIMix is to be able to ride faders and controls simultaneously in real time. This brings back a part of the creative process from the days of tape and mixing desks that's normally missing from in-the-box recording.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #125
billybuck

A tip for MIDIMix users - I did some testing of this script in instrument mode in conjunction with a LUA script called LBX SRD Smart Knobs, and the combo is a real timesaver for mapping knobs to FX. It's a little fiddly to install, but well worth the time.

The Smart Knob script gives you a GUI with up to 32 slots that can each be mapped to one of the MM's top knobs in instrument mode. Then, as you bring a plugin effect into focus using the MM buttons, the Smart knob GUI allows you to quickly map which fx parameter corresponds to each numbered slot just by touching them with the mouse in the order you want them to appear in the slots (much faster than using "learn" on the fx in the traditional way.) It also displays a text description of the parameter (as reported by the plugin) next to a bar visually showing the current position of the control. You only have to do this once per plugin, and all the mappings will be retained between projects.

This works particularly well with the MM script's buttons that open and close your first 8 fix on a selected channel. You push the button to activate the first, and say, your ReaEq pops open, and the Smartknob display shows all of your mapped EQ parameters by name, in numbered slots that make it easy to relate to your MM knobs, assuming you initially mapped them sequentially. Press another button and ReaGate opens, with its parameters displayed and controllable.

No more having to remember what knob 4 does in ReaEq vs ReaComp, because the parameters are now all displayed in text next to each slot. It also works with third party plugins.

Last edited by billybuck; 02-10-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #126
DarkStar

I would like to add to goldenarpharazon's MIDIMIX control surface the reporting of presses of SOLO (for shifting the param numbers), BankLeft and BankRight to Reaper.

Those OSC messages would not do anything in Reaper itself but would be available to a lua script. So, for example, I could light up a BankLeft LED in my lua script and change a parameter number when BankLeft is illuminated on the MIDIMix hardware.

Why? For this:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/vd2612o.png

Maybe this would use some sort of reaper.CSurf_ functions, but I'm not sure.

Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #127
billybuck

Darkstar, is that an LBX Strip? To quote Little Richard, you "made my big toe shoot up in my boot!"
Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #128
DarkStar

Nope, it is a script that I am working on (the son of this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209173 )
Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #129
billybuck

Great! So it's designed to display current mappings, but with an improved GUI, or does it add new functionality to create mappings within the script? Either way, please consider me as a potential beta tester. I'm a MIDIMix power-user with some coding ability.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #130
DarkStar

It's display only. Essentially it reads the status of various elements from the project via the ReaScript API.

Creating new mappings would be a lot of work and is done easily using exisitng functions (or other scripts).

And I forgot one option in the screenshots above:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/AP5fHPC.png

Last edited by DarkStar; 03-29-2020 at 02:45 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:54 PM   #131
billybuck

Does your script show the current mappings in both "mixer" and "instrument" modes, or only the default "mixer" mode?
Old 03-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #132
DarkStar

Right-hand image in post # 126
Old 03-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #133
billybuck

I saw that, but it looked like the knob labels were the same in both pix, so I couldn't tell if you'd changed modes. Congrats--it looks like you're very close to having it working.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:39 AM   #134
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
Deeb, you can control sends for 8 tracks via either or both of the top 2 rows of knobs from the script's "mixer" mode, but they will not be "bankable," meaning that if you have, say, 24 tracks in your project and you use the bank-right and bank-left controls to adjust which tracks the MIDIMix's faders, mutes, and pan knobs are controlling, the top knobs will not follow the bank, and will still be controlling only the 8 track sends you initially designated.

Note that none of this requires editing the script.

To control sends, you have to set up 8 custom actions. If you're not familiar with those, search for Kenny Gioia's excellent video tutorial. Each custom action will contain the following stock Reaper actions:

--Select Track [X]
--Adjust Volume of Send 1

Save that custom action and then, for example if you chose track 1 as X, map it to the top knob on the MIDIMix's first track. Then create another custom action for track 2: send 1, and so on.

This will control the topmost send's volume on each of 8 channels. You can also create 8 more similar actions for send 2 (if you use more than one send per track) and map them to the second row of knobs.

The only problem is, if you set this up for tracks 1-8, those top knobs will always control the sends for 1-8, even if you use the bank-right button so that your faders, mutes, and pans are now controlling tracks 9-16 or 17-24, etc.

The alternative is to do this in "instrument mode" [see the script's documentation] which temporarily switches the MIDIMIx into an alternate mode where all of the buttons, knobs, and faders can be mapped to control various parameters of a selected track. In this mode, I don't think you'd need to create a custom action that pre-selects the track, because (I think) it's already selected by switching into instrument mode. You can just map any knob to the Reaper stock action "adjust send 1 volume."

The drawback to the "instrument mode" method is that you can only adjust the sends for one designated track at a time, as you would by using the mouse in Reaper. You can't control them hands-on in real time, for example if you're doing a dub type mix where your sends are going to a delay and you want to actively vary that for each track while it's playing (or recording automation).
I might be back (some hope - because area selection by sexan)
I am a bit confused and struggling, does your explanation is valid if I want to navigate for specific track names?
In my case I want g: drums , g: bass , etc until 8 or more ... Each one of them is a folder with at least one track. But I don't want to navigate this child tracks with controller.

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #135
billybuck

Deeb, if you only want to control the sends for up to 8 folder tracks, you could use the method I described above to create custom actions corresponding to each of your folder tracks. For example if your first folder track was track 7, you'd create a custom action containing these two built-in Reaper actions:

Select Track 7
Adjust Send 1 Volume

Save that custom action and then map it to one of the top 8 knobs on your MIDIMix. Continue creating custom actions and mapping them for your other folder tracks.

If you're using the script discussed here, just keep in mind that that those knobs you map will always control just those specific tracks you chose in your custom actions. They won't "bank" with the fader and pan knobs on the bottom half of the MIDIMix.

Also, if you want to additionally control fader volume and pan for *only* those 8 folder tracks with your MM, ignoring child tracks, you could also map the faders and pan knobs to the built-in volume and pan actions corresponding to your folder track numbers (you don't have to create custom actions for fader volume and pan, just the sends). In that case, you wouldn't be able to use the banking buttons at all - your MM would be dedicated to just the 8 tracks you specify in your mappings.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #136
deeb

Quote:
Deeb, if you only want to control the sends for up to 8 folder tracks, you could use the method I described above to create custom actions corresponding to each of your folder tracks. For example if your first folder track was track 7, you'd create a custom action containing these two built-in Reaper actions:

Select Track 7
Adjust Send 1 Volume

Save that custom action and then map it to one of the top 8 knobs on your MIDIMix. Continue creating custom actions and mapping them for your other folder tracks.

If you're using the script discussed here, just keep in mind that that those knobs you map will always control just those specific tracks you chose in your custom actions. They won't "bank" with the fader and pan knobs on the bottom half of the MIDIMix.

Also, if you want to additionally control fader volume and pan for *only* those 8 folder tracks with your MM, ignoring child tracks, you could also map the faders and pan knobs to the built-in volume and pan actions corresponding to your folder track numbers (you don't have to create custom actions for fader volume and pan, just the sends). In that case, you wouldn't be able to use the banking buttons at all - your MM would be dedicated to just the 8 tracks you specify in your mappings.
Thank you thank you! but the problem is that in the begggining of the project track 7 is the first group/folder track i want to control, but then project evolves and is always changing and so it won't be track 7 anymore.
I need to test this but i am also concerned with Changing track position selection by using "Select Track x" , since if i am moving more then 1 knob at the same time, it's always changing my track selection.... i know i maybe can do a script to return to the original selected track, but still highlight of selected track will be blinking I need to test. Understand what i mean?

edit: i tried doing that :
Action 1:
select track 1, adjust send 1
Action 2:
select track 2, adjust send 1

and yeah my concern had a reason and reaper freaks out with this

Last edited by deeb; 04-05-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #137
DarkStar

Quote:
I saw that, but it looked like the knob labels were the same in both pix, so I couldn't tell if you'd changed modes. Congrats--it looks like you're very close to having it working.
Almost ready for beta testing.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #138
billybuck

Deeb, you can work around this in the future by using routing to create buss tracks instead of relying on folders. For example, create a new project and set up 8 empty tracks at the beginning of your project that will be your busses. Don't arm them for recording. Label them drum buss, keyboard buss, vocals buss, whatever groups you usually require. Add your sends to those 8 tracks, map them to the top 8 MIDIMix knobs with the custom actions previously described, and then save the whole thing as a project template.

Use that template as the starting point for new projects. As you add new tracks to the project, always add them to the right so that your first 8 remain the buss tracks. Every time you add a new track, drag its routing icon onto the appropriate buss track. This will pop up a configuration window. You can leave all the default settings except that you need to uncheck "master send" in the upper left so that you're only hearing your new track as routed through its designated buss track.

This method allows you to add as many additional tracks as you want, move them around as needed, etc as long as you keep your busses as the first 8. In fact, you could still use folders for organization purposes, as long as you route the folder to a buss track and remove the buss routes for the folder's child tracks.

With this method, the only custom mapping you'd need is for your sends, because by default the MIDIMix's 8 faders and the first row of knobs above them will control the volume and pan for the first 8 tracks (your busses). Just don't press the bank buttons.

Hope that's not too confusing.

Last edited by billybuck; 04-05-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #139
deeb

Quote:

This method allows you to add as many additional tracks as you want, move them around as needed, etc as long as you keep your busses as the first 8. In fact, you could still use folders for organization purposes, as long as you route the folder to your buss track and remove the buss routes for the folder's child tracks.
It was pretty much clear yeah it is a nice idea! this method will work , .. i think using folders which are routed to the 1-8 buses/tracks is a method that might be better for me.
Thank you so much!

between what type of music you doing?
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #140
billybuck

Lots of styles over the years, though usually only my own bands or projects I'm heavily involved in. I started on cassette 4-tracks, then moved up to the Roland VS digital 8-track units in the 90s (great sound quality but a terrible way to work) and then started with Reaper at version 3. A few albums I did with a friend were released on the US Epitaph label in the 00's, kind of a low-fi Tom Waits style. I've also recorded my swing bands, rockabilly, psychedelic, punk, indie, '80s goth revival--whatever I happened to be into at the time. Always zero-budget, basement studio type of stuff, but lots of fun.

My most recent band is probably closest to Can, where we we do long improvisations and then I later chop those into songs. This has really tested my editing skills, particularly because we don't record to a click so nothing's on the grid.

That band is on hiatus during the COVID lockdown, so lately I've been experimenting with solo electronic composition and learning more than I ever wanted to know about MIDI and controllers. Lately I've also been working more in Ableton Live for that type of music.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 AM   #141
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
It's display only. Essentially it reads the status of various elements from the project via the ReaScript API.

Creating new mappings would be a lot of work and is done easily using exisitng functions (or other scripts).

And I forgot one option in the screenshots above:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/AP5fHPC.png
Beta version released: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233952
Old 04-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #142
deeb

Quote:
Lots of styles over the years, though usually only my own bands or projects I'm heavily involved in. I started on cassette 4-tracks, then moved up to the Roland VS digital 8-track units in the 90s (great sound quality but a terrible way to work) and then started with Reaper at version 3. A few albums I did with a friend were released on the US Epitaph label in the 00's, kind of a low-fi Tom Waits style. I've also recorded my swing bands, rockabilly, psychedelic, punk, indie, '80s goth revival--whatever I happened to be into at the time. Always zero-budget, basement studio type of stuff, but lots of fun.

My most recent band is probably closest to Can, where we we do long improvisations and then I later chop those into songs. This has really tested my editing skills, particularly because we don't record to a click so nothing's on the grid.

That band is on hiatus during the COVID lockdown, so lately I've been experimenting with solo electronic composition and learning more than I ever wanted to know about MIDI and controllers. Lately I've also been working more in Ableton Live for that type of music.
Very instesting history in your hands! you had beautiful time on those years.
I am mostly like to be your fan at that time playing punk! LOL

Would love to put my hands on those STems! specially psychedelic! Anyway!
I am doing downtempo stuff, dubby electronic chill , techno stuff! but i still want to use reaper for that, but last 2 years been complicated for that! i will test your suggestion (actually script a bit) and AS from Sexan and i might stay in reaper otherwise i will go Ableton for the sake of produtivity and 0 Scripting
Thank you for sharing !
Old 04-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #143
deeb

Quote:
...Add your sends to those 8 tracks, map them to the top 8 MIDIMix knobs with the custom actions previously described, and then save the whole thing as a project template.
Step back unfortunetly this wont work! same problem persist, there is no:
"adjust send 1 for track 01"
"adjust send 1 for track 02"
"adjust send 1 for track 03"
(...)
"adjust send 8 for track 01"
"adjust send 8 for track 02"
"adjust send 8 for track 03"

When using "select track X" method when moving more then 2 knobs at the same time reaper freaks out.
I don't think it's a bug! don't know what to do
Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #144
billybuck

Deeb, here are the exact action names that are inside the custom actions I created. The first requires you to have the SWS extensions installed.

--SWS: Select only track 1
--Adjust track send 1 volume (MIDI CC/OSC Only)

Then your next custom action would include these:

--SWS: Select only track 2
--Adjust track send 1 volume (MIDI CC/OSC Only)

And so on. Note that the number in the track send action refers to the number of the send on the selected track, not the track number. This confused me at first, too.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #145
deeb

thank you ! but yeah it does not work here as desired, we can't move more than 1 knob at the same time because reaper holds, glitches, and knobs stop working, it freaks out. Maybe because i am on mac?
Old 04-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #146
billybuck

I don’t think you’ll be able to move more than one send knob at a time because the custom action I described first selects a single track, then adjusts its send volume. However, you should definitely be able to use more than one track fader or pan control at a time.

Mappable send controls has long been a feature request in Reaper, but until they implement it, I can’t think of any good way to control them simultaneously. There’s another workaround described in other threads (and I think ReaperBlog has a video on it) that routes sends to dummy tracks so they can be controlled with track faders, and in theory you would be able to control those simultaneously.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #147
deeb

Ok billybuck ! Its a compromise which I will have to consider. Thank you so much
Old 04-10-2020, 05:38 PM   #148
OhTheFuture

Default AKAI Pro MPK25

Forgive me if this is super obvious or a total newbie etiquette-like post

Long time Reaper user but not super active on forums.

I have an "AKAI Professional MPK 25 midi controller" and have always found mapping things to it is less than appealing. It's sort of random and I may even be doing it wrong.

Can someone lead me to where I can get info on this specific controller? It's not too common last time I looked and guides never were much help to get it working with Reaper the way I'd like to.

Any helps is appreciated!
OhTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #149
mschnell

The problem is not "a specific controller", but the fact that using (mapping) a control surface depends on personal taste / workflow preferences.

That is why Reaper can't decently do this internally , but there is the "CSI" Cpntrol surface integration Reaper extension (see "CSI" subforum) , that is fed with appropriate user modifiable configuration files defining device features and workflow preferences.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #150
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The problem is not "a specific controller", but the fact that using (mapping) a control surface depends on personal taste / workflow preferences.

That is why Reaper can't decently do this internally , but there is the "CSI" Cpntrol surface integration Reaper extension (see "CSI" subforum) , that is fed with appropriate user modifiable configuration files defining device features and workflow preferences.

-Michael
Imo the first number one problem is not able to learn vol, mute , pan, sends just like we can with plugin parameters
Old 04-11-2020, 02:24 AM   #151
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Imo the first number one problem is not able to learn vol, mute , pan, sends just like we can with plugin parameters
IMHO it's not a good idea to force each user to do the "learning" from start. I think providing a library of CSI config files (in ReaPack) for many hardware devices and appropriate workflow options would get average users up to speed in no time, while allowing to modify their files (e.g. using the CSI "learn" functionality) to adapt to their dedicated workflow.
-Michael
Old 04-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #152
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO it's not a good idea to force each user to do the "learning" from start. I think providing a library of CSI config files (in ReaPack) for many hardware devices and appropriate workflow options would get average users up to speed in no time, while allowing to modify their files (e.g. using the CSI "learn" functionality) to adapt to their dedicated workflow.
-Michael
But that way is far more limiting for users then by learning like a normal parameter imo. (Altho it has advantages also). Ableton per example has both. Learning is the basic and historically first.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #153
deeb

created this request:
req: Adjust track send 01 volume for track 01
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2270257
Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #154
con stan tine

Default Everything is banking except for faders and pans in Mixer mode

I've looked through the code and tried to figure it out. OSCII bot is communicating and the reaper OSC is displaying all signals. When I hit bank, the next 8 channels are selected and change colors, and mute, record arm, and solo work on them, but the faders and pan still only adjust the first 8 tracks. What am I doing wrong???

Also thanks for everything, this community is amazing, relatively new to reaper and I'm still amazed at what this community does. This is just the first time that I've been confused enough to reply to a thread. lol
con stan tine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #155
mschnell

I again recommend trying CSI, which is by far more evolved than four months ago.
-Michael.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #156
goldenarpharazon

Default Everything is banking except for faders and pans in Mixer mode - Resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by con stan tine View Post
OSCII bot is communicating and the reaper OSC is displaying all signals. When I hit bank, the next 8 channels are selected and change colors, and mute, record arm, and solo work on them, but the faders and pan still only adjust the first 8 tracks. What am I doing wrong???
This banking problem is caused by incorrect setup of OSC in Reaper's settings [in Options:Preferences] and the script's @input OSC_IN OSC line in your local installation. Reaper should be sending OSC to the OSCII-bot script but it is not being received by the script because the network path is not setup due to some mismatched settings. This post on OSC setup should be helpful https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=11

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 08-14-2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Typo correction
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:51 AM   #157
leescratchy

Hi guys, my plan is to use MIDIMIX in order to do live reggae dub mixing such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Roh_J2EsQ

What are my best options please? Script in the OP + "MPL SendFader" script from https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187138 ?

I'd also like to remap MIDIMIX buttons slightly but I'm sure that's entirely possible

All roads lead to Rome but I'd like the less painful path please

Thanks in advance for any insight,

PS: REAN round knobs are great but did anyone find fader knobs replacements?

Last edited by leescratchy; 08-14-2020 at 04:56 AM.
leescratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:00 AM   #158
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leescratchy View Post
Hi guys, my plan is to use MIDIMIX in order to do live reggae dub mixing [snip]

What are my best options please? Script in the OP + "MPL SendFader" script from https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187138 ?
Yes it should do this. Everything hangs on your use case and the associated Reaper track and bus design. In doing that you might need a script extension like MPL's but perhaps avoid that complexity if you can.

Quote:
I'd also like to remap MIDIMIX buttons slightly but I'm sure that's entirely possible
That is possible. Posts earlier in this thread show how to remap a button from its current Reaper action by editing the script.

Quote:
PS: REAN round knobs are great but did anyone find fader knobs replacements?
No idea but seeing this MIDIMIX knob customisation might prompt others https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...i-midimix.html. Cautious dismantling to discover the slider pot types or knob pulling should reveal possibilities.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #159
leescratchy

Quote:
you might need a script extension like MPL's but perhaps avoid that complexity if you can
OK thanks, anyone else with first-hand experience please?

Quote:
No idea but seeing this MIDIMIX knob customisation might prompt others https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...i-midimix.html
It feels as good as it looks with REAN knobs:

I also need a storage bag, APC-mini's on ali would most likely not be tall enough so I got APK's for $10 shipped.

I wish I could find replacement faders but stock ones are decent enough and either way I can't locate any.

Last edited by leescratchy; 08-14-2020 at 03:44 PM.
leescratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #160
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Hi guys, my plan is to use MIDIMIX in order to do live reggae dub mixing such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Roh_J2EsQ

What are my best options please? Script in the OP + "MPL SendFader" script
Try this to get your live mix going, and get started on a first track and bus design.

1. Use the MIDIMIX to control the first 8 tracks in a project with your delay/reverb send in track 9.
2. Set the first 8 tracks up with 4 channels and send channels 3/4 to channel 1/2 on track 9 at 0db.
3. Then use a JS 3 band splitter plugin with the crossovers at min/max to send each of the tracks entirely to channels 3/4 when fully wet.
4. Map the wet/dry of each splitter to a respective knob above each track 1-8 fader

So you have your 8 fader-controllable tracks each with wet/dry sends to a delay.
Plenty of expansion beyond this by mapping & routing channels like this for more complex effects, delays or arrangements.

This web page should be helpful on explaining such possibilities with tracks and links to Kenny Gioia's helpful video tutorials https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...e-Routing.html

You really shouldn't need any Reascript at all unless knowingly pushing the boundaries of Reaper's great track & bus flexibility. Note that the Reascripts (like MPL's) run and interact very differently against Reaper, compared to an OSCII-bot script even though the EEL2 programming language is virtually the same.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 08-17-2020 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Added helpful web page