Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #81
danielg
Human being with feelings

This project is currently focussed on preamps. Price is yet to be locked in, I suggest you read the rest of the thread for current estimates.

Daniel
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #82
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
i vote neve. this may or may not be because I already have a pair of 312s...

I also am thinking...

I think that Dani should build herself one and no one else. then AFTER she knows what's involved she can then determine some logistics that you just can't predict unless you actually do it.
Whatever comes to pass as a result of this topic, I fully intend on building myself a two channel Neve clone and I will certainly post the progress and results here.

To be honest, I have found a workaround to significantly reduce the cost of shipping so I am still seriously contemplating the SCA option.
Given that the estimate so far for the components for our non SCA version would be around $250 not including any unforeseen omissions, the SCA option comes with everything already sourced and by far the best PCB layout I have seen. Seriously, the SCA PCB layout is BETTER than the genuine Neve article and the cost is only around $50 more than our non SCA estimate. To be honest, it would cost me that in time and other resources just to gather the components.

Having said all that, we can still do a full custom chassis and power supply and use the SCA kits with that option. The cost would be very similar for both SCA kits and non SCA builds. Given the quality of the SCA kits, I am SERIOUSLY leaning that way for my build.
I may also still seriously contemplate purchasing the full SCA chassis and PSU for my build too. I am VERY impressed with their products and their customer response so far (I have been in communication with Tim and he is super fast with his responses).
If I do go this route, I'll probably end up adding a couple of API modules to my build too.

Obi, I could build you two SCA modules OR two of our custom modules for roughly the same price and it would be less than $1000 but you'd need to supply the power supply and chassis. Either way, you're relying on my experience for the build quality of the final product and that is something I can say will be top notch. As I've mentioned, I will document my own build here first if nobody else steps up initially. I am more than happy to offer this as a confidence booster for others.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #83
jayendra

So 250$ for a great preamp? plus labour?

Can you get me a version with a compressor in it?

I would like to participate just need a time frame so I can save up.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #84
ObiK

Okay thanks and keep us updated. The SCA option does look good.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #85
danielg

Hi Dannii,

I looked at the SCA stuff for myself a while ago but concluded that with the chassis and power supply, shipping to Australia would not be worth the freight. I have almost no experience with building hardware, so I put it on hold for myself.

Knowing that you might be able to advise on an Aust. supplier for an appropriate chassis and power supply makes me very tempted again!

I'd probably be more interested in a couple of APIs at the moment - or maybe one Neve and one API. I'm currently using a couple of GA Projects Pre73s, which I am quite happy with for my needs.

Does anyone have any experience with Pre73s vs SCA Neves?

IME the Pre73 is amazing for the price, and they do get me a lovely sound. I would guess that the SCA Neves might be a little closer to the original, but that might not make too much difference for my real-world use.

Do you have your eye on any other SCA flavours? Most of my work is done with multi-tracking/overdubs, so I would benefit more from a rack of mixed pres (1 or 2 each of different flavours), rather than a bunch of the same.

I'm in Sydney.

Daniel
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #86
ObiK

I personally think the SCA kit would be better than a Pre73. You don't hear about people modding the SCA but you always hear them modding the Pre 73.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #87
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
I personally think the SCA kit would be better than a Pre73. You don't hear about people modding the SCA but you always hear them modding the Pre 73.
that might be because the SCA kit wouldn't really be a mod, it would be using alternate parts while your putting it together.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #88
Dannii

Quote:
Quote:
that might be because the SCA kit wouldn't really be a mod, it would be using alternate parts while your putting it together.
At this stage, I honestly couldn't really see any reason to mod an SCA kit other than to physically mount it in something alternative to the SCA chassis. Even then, that wouldn't really be a circuit mod. It would be a layout mod.
The SCA kits look to be as good as it gets as far as building a true 1073 pre stage clone. If one chooses one of these, they are typically doing so to get the 1073 character so why mod?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #89
Dannii

Strategic update: It looks like I might be moving interstate shortly which means I will be packing up my studio and moving that too. This is both a daunting thing for me and an exciting prospect. Daunting due to the enormity of the task ahead but exciting because it is an opportunity to look for a much more practical studio space.

The reason I mention this is because along with the move will come greater opportunity to work on studio expansions and more custom projects like this one.

If anyone is interested, I have already started working on my own design for a hardware opto compressor. I will be designing the circuit completely from scratch and it will incorporate a few of my own concepts with tried and tested ideas including a custom soft clipping circuit, transformer balanced inputs and outputs, class A circuit design and selectable modern/vintage opto characteristics.
I am also looking at adding hpf/lpf on the key input, external key control and stereo/multichannel linking options.

I'm at the design concept stage right now and, depending on the timing of my move, I hope to start breadboarding some physical circuit designs soon.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #90
ObiK

Awesome. Keep us updated!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #91
Dannii

Quote:
Awesome. Keep us updated!
Will do for sure.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #92
danielg

I stumbled on this DIY forum, might come in handy.

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #93
ObiK

Yeah I've seen some cool projects on there. Unfortunately I'm not the best with a soldering Iron.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #94
Hardrock69

Wow, Dan, thanks for posting that link. It is gonna be awhile before I can even afford to buy parts to build anything, but I can at least read through the threads there and drool a bit....maybe even foam at the mouth a little.

Dayum....these guys wind their own transformers even.....they are way BEYOND "gearheads", lol.

Last edited by Hardrock69; 06-13-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Hardrock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #95
Wavne

I'm interested in this project as well.
Wavne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #96
Sigilus

the soldering and transformer winding stuff is right up my alley, the price... good as it is I wish I could spare for.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #97
pipelineaudio
Mortal

One thing to take note of, and something I hardly ever see even hinted at in forums, comes from taking apart neves that rupert himself had teched on in the field

A lot of these neve clones and customs have builds that are perfectly faithful to the shop plans and schematics that these guys left the factory with, but that's not the end of the story

In many cases, from the lowly Kelso all the way up to the 8068 modules, the ones he had been out to work on, or had consulted on, well after purchase, had bypass caps in a LOT of the cap locations. I am not claiming that these bypass caps were the reason for the variety of claims about these mic pres, where some people say they have a singing high end and yet others say they sound like a wet blanket on top of them, but I can claim that whenever I had two modules of similar build and vintage, the modules with bypassed caps almost always tested flatter, all the way up to WAY up (at least in the non-transformer output amps), and I mean like 50khz way up, with a trade off that they were usually slightly noisier, and by slightly I mean slightly
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #98
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
One thing to take note of, and something I hardly ever see even hinted at in forums, comes from taking apart neves that rupert himself had teched on in the field

A lot of these neve clones and customs have builds that are perfectly faithful to the shop plans and schematics that these guys left the factory with, but that's not the end of the story

In many cases, from the lowly Kelso all the way up to the 8068 modules, the ones he had been out to work on, or had consulted on, well after purchase, had bypass caps in a LOT of the cap locations. I am not claiming that these bypass caps were the reason for the variety of claims about these mic pres, where some people say they have a singing high end and yet others say they sound like a wet blanket on top of them, but I can claim that whenever I had two modules of similar build and vintage, the modules with bypassed caps almost always tested flatter, all the way up to WAY up (at least in the non-transformer output amps), and I mean like 50khz way up, with a trade off that they were usually slightly noisier, and by slightly I mean slightly
Do you have anything more specific about this? I am assuming this is talking about small value caps (nanofarad values) in parallel with the electro's. Do you know which caps had this treatment?

Also, you mention non transformer output modules but the 1073's have transformers on both input and output.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #99
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Do you have anything more specific about this? I am assuming this is talking about small value caps (nanofarad values) in parallel with the electro's. Do you know which caps had this treatment?
I lost most of my memories and possessions in a storage repo, so I don't have specific notes, but if you have a schematic in mind, I bet johnnypig could circle the most likely candidates. I often put bypass caps in a lot of clone circuits, so if he's being a wuss, I'm sure I can figure out which ones to look at
Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #100
Dannii

Quote:
I lost most of my memories and possessions in a storage repo, so I don't have specific notes, but if you have a schematic in mind, I bet johnnypig could circle the most likely candidates. I often put bypass caps in a lot of clone circuits, so if he's being a wuss, I'm sure I can figure out which ones to look at
Cheers Pipe

This is the original 1073 schematic... http://www.technicalaudio.com/neve/n...73-fullpak.pdf
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #101
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Cheers Pipe

This is the original 1073 schematic... http://www.technicalaudio.com/neve/n...73-fullpak.pdf
Awesome!!! Ok, gonna start a new thread so as not to mess yours up
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #102
Dannii

I'm guessing most of the decoupling caps and the bootstrapping caps would be the ones in question, ie., C1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 in the BA283 section.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #103
Dannii

Quote:
Awesome!!! Ok, gonna start a new thread so as not to mess yours up
I'm happy for you to continue that in here. It is all relevant
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #104
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I'm happy for you to continue that in here. It is all relevant
Robo hardly ever posts, so when he does "its supposed to be all profound and shit. Didn't want to litter the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUkJ...eature=related
Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #105
Dannii

Just wanted to post a quick update here with some fairly significant news (sgnificant from my perspective anyway).

It looks like I'm about to move interstate which is both daunting and exciting. I've found a home for rent in the mountains with a dedicated space for me to set up my recording studio and I'll be able to do what I want with that space as far as acoustic treatment goes which is VERY exciting!

Hopefully, if all goes smoothly, I could be making the move in about four weeks. That means that my Neve project will be slightly delayed (until my move is done) but it also means that I'll be able to focus on it more intently than I am at present once I'm moved.

Right now, I'm organizing the logistics of everything. There's much to do but I have a bunch of friends who are digging in and helping me out which is a real blessing.

Probably the most daunting thing for me is figuring out the best way to make an eight hour car journey the least frightening as possible for my cat. He's made a one hour journey with me before but this is an entirely different matter!!!

I might start a new topic about this move and document it all as I go.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #106
danielg

Good luck with the move Dannii. Which mountains are you headed to, out of interest?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #107
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg View Post
Good luck with the move Dannii.
Cheers Daniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg View Post
Which mountains are you headed to, out of interest?
Near Adelaide. Here's a few pics of the area....

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #108
ObiK

Wow those pictures are beautiful!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #109
Dannii

Quote:
Wow those pictures are beautiful!
Yep
That's another good reason I am excited about this move!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #110
jacobestes

That last picture is like Neil and Eady from Heat.
jacobestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #111
boatbassguy

Hi All,

I'm late to this party, I've been looking through the window for a while though.

Is there any chance that this future pre will run on DC power?

See my little thread..

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...d=1#post776913

cheers, Mikey
boatbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #112
Kundalinguist

Hey Dannii. Re; your cat. Not sure if you've moved yet, but you might consider asking the vet for a really mild sedative - something to make that kitty a little more relaxed and snoozy along the way but not strong enough to immobilize him and cause cardiac arrest (unless you're into that kind of cat ownership ).

Just a thought.

As for the pictures: I find it offensive that beautiful landscapes still exist. There so much potential there for asphalt and high rise buildings.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #113
toddcatx

Default 1272 PS

I've got my 1272 (Brent Averill) import from the states, just need to get the power supply sorted. US charges $250 plus shipping...anyone know how much to get it "converted", or just where to get a new one built locally that will work?

cheers,

td

Last edited by toddcatx; 08-20-2011 at 02:41 AM. Reason: misspelling
toddcatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #114
pixeltarian

beautiful photos.
I'd love to live in australia but I don't like snakes or spiders. home of the deadliest creatures.
like the inland taipan...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #115
boatbassguy

Quote:
beautiful photos.
I'd love to live in australia but I don't like snakes or spiders. home of the deadliest creatures.
As an Austrailian, that is the most pissweak and lame cop out I've ever heard. : )
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #116
Amazed

Quote:
beautiful photos.
You needn't worry. The government won't let anything happen to you in Australia. Here you need a permit to pass gas. I would be very surprised if you don't need a permit to receive a snake bite.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #117
boatbassguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
You needn't worry. The government won't let anything happen to you in Australia. Here you need a permit to pass gas. I would be very surprised if you don't need a permit to receive a snake bite.
I passed gas the other morning without a permit and nearly got caught!! Lucky, I simply can't afford the fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #118
Dannii

As many of you have probably read, my move is now done and I have my new studio up and running. I'm still keen to keep the ball rolling on this project but my finances have been directed to the video production side of things temporarily and I don't have much left at present for the Neve pre's.
Just thought I'd give a short update for those following this topic.

Oh, and I'm putting together a short video of the new studio and the surrounding area which I hope to have done soon. I'll post it here when complete.