Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #41
yarimurray
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
For what it's worth, I was in a very similar situation as the OP a little month ago. I ended up buying a firestudio project (450ish $) and so far it works just fine on my system -Reaper in XP.

simpsongb wrote: "...and no matter what you buy, in 6 months you will want more..." Well within 14 days I'm wondering if I ever will have the option to daisychain the FSP (some talk of a driver update).

My advice would be to really consider something you could daisy chian if/when you in 6 months want more!

-W
+1 on the FireStudio Project (http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...x?ProductId=43). Eight preamps (first two are also intsrument inputs), plenty of outputs, software mixer. This unit has worked great for me. And the latest drivers allow chaining up to three for a total of 24 inputs.

I recorded these tunes recently with the FireStudio Project and I'm more than satisfied with the results.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/505579/Bad%20Monkey.mp3
https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/499602/Tico%20Tico.mp3

Best of luck with your search. There are a lot of options to consider.

Michael
Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #42
drumphil

USB is indeed slower than firewire regardless of the difference in their theoretical data rates. The actual data rate isn't that important for most devices however, with USB still having enough real world bandwidth for 24 or maybee more channels of 24/96 audio. The real problem is latency. For whatever reason which I don't understand enough about to explain properly (inefficient system with cpu controlling everything), USB devices to date have never managed to get close to the round trip latency of firewire devices.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #43
scottdru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AME06063 View Post
if two more modules are used simultaneously, is there any way to clock them from the same source?
this is something that I'll have to look into as well. I believe this would be dependent on the software, but as far as an actual test to see if it actually functions will require me to finish building a unit so I can run two units simultaneously just to be sure.
No, what is being asked here is a HARDWARE issue, not software. If you are going to be running two separate interfaces at a time for recording, you need to be able to physically clock the word clock of one unite to the other, so that the inputs will be sample-accurate, in sync with each other. Otherwise, you will get small timing drifts between the two interfaces over time, which, among other things, can cause phase issues, etc. between tracks.

The better interfaces will typically have wordclock I/O (usually on a BNC connector) for this purpose. However, with a lot of the various pro-sumer interfaces that don't have dedicated wordclock I/O, you can still sync them via SPDIF or ADAT digital connections.

So, if you don't have any digital I/O on your interface, then the answer is that you cannot sync multiple interfaces together.

- Eddie Izzard
scottdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #44
byter

Default Phonic FireFly 808

http://www.phonic.com/en/audio-inter...refly-808.html
I just got a FireFly 808 because it looks good feature and spec wise, had reasonable reviews on the web but mostly because it was all i could find at the time on our New Zealand auction site. I've been putting it through the paces and all seems to work fine thus far. I haven't yet done any real life recording but have a four piece band on the books in a couple weeks time so will let you know if it stands up to real world use.

I've had a few old timers scoff and snicker at the Phonic brand but i'll keep an open mind and let the results speak for themselves.
byter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #45
egr

Quote:
Originally Posted by byter View Post
http://www.phonic.com/en/audio-inter...refly-808.html
I just got a FireFly 808 because it looks good feature and spec wise, had reasonable reviews on the web but mostly because it was all i could find at the time on our New Zealand auction site. I've been putting it through the paces and all seems to work fine thus far. I haven't yet done any real life recording but have a four piece band on the books in a couple weeks time so will let you know if it stands up to real world use.

I've had a few old timers scoff and snicker at the Phonic brand but i'll keep an open mind and let the results speak for themselves.
I'm very interested in what you find out! This could be the perfect way for me to play around with hardware mixing and routing without breaking the bank. The big question is always the converters... if you find some tests or comparisons please post!
egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #46
Krismarsel1

Default 8 inputs on line 6 ux-8 but none of them are sterio??

So yesterday i went out n bought a line 6 ux-8 because i wanted 8 xlr inputs..y'know, the more the marrier. But to my surprise (and aggrivation) when i record with studio one, only way i can do micing is in mono, and its either mono left or right, and so i cant record 1 mic in sterio! Witch sucks so much because everything is off to one side or the other! Any solutions?

The way it apperantly goes is
Input1
- paired.
Input 2

Input 3
-paired
Input 4

Input 5
- paired
Input 6. Ect
Krismarsel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #47
nerdfactormax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krismarsel1 View Post
when i record with studio one, ...
... Any solutions?
Use Reaper

Well, you asked.
nerdfactormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #48
mymymetrocard

i use a edirol UA101 which works fine, but has only 2 pre-amp, so if you want to record drums and stuff too you'll need more pr-amps

mymymetrocard - PHYCOLOGY
mymymetrocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #49
ramses

I love my Steinberg mr816x thingy. Great converters, great pre's, and it works great with Reaper. Recommended.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #50
synthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
USB is indeed slower than firewire regardless of the difference in their theoretical data rates. The actual data rate isn't that important for most devices however, with USB still having enough real world bandwidth for 24 or maybee more channels of 24/96 audio. The real problem is latency. For whatever reason which I don't understand enough about to explain properly (inefficient system with cpu controlling everything), USB devices to date have never managed to get close to the round trip latency of firewire devices.

Here are the main differences.

FireWire, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer
Firewire is a peer-to-peer protocol, meaning that every device on a Firewire network is equally capable of talking to every other device. Two video cameras on a Firewire network can share data with each other. A Firewire audio interface could save sound data directly to a Firewire hard drive. Your computer is just another peer on this network, and has no inherent special status.

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower data flow control)

USB devices are asynchronous, which means that any device has the power to send any amount of data at any time. If two devices decide to talk at once, their data can collide with each other. If the traffic is not highly time-sensitive, this isn't a big deal. There are routines in place to manage it, and you'll never notice if your mouse click happens a couple microseconds later. BUT. There are a few applications where it matters, and one of them is audio. An audio interface is sending a constant stream of sound data back to the computer. It rarely uses up the whole pipe, and so it's still possible for other devices to talk but the odds of collisions are higher, and if you get too much other traffic the errors can pile up beyond the computers ability to stay caught up and you lose some sound data.

But the real reason Firewire is more reliable than USB is more fundamental than that. It's because Firewire allows two operating modes. One is asynchronous, as we described above with USB. The other is isochronous mode, and it lets a device carve out a certain dedicated amount of bandwidth that other devices can't touch. It gets a certain number of time slices each second all its own. The advantages for audio should be obvious: that stream of data can just keep on flowing, and as long as there isn't more bandwidth demand than the wire can handle (not very likely) nothing will interfere with it. No collisions, no glitches.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #51
Gizzmo0815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krismarsel1 View Post
So yesterday i went out n bought a line 6 ux-8 because i wanted 8 xlr inputs..y'know, the more the marrier. But to my surprise (and aggrivation) when i record with studio one, only way i can do micing is in mono, and its either mono left or right, and so i cant record 1 mic in sterio! Witch sucks so much because everything is off to one side or the other! Any solutions?

The way it apperantly goes is
Input1
- paired.
Input 2

Input 3
-paired
Input 4

Input 5
- paired
Input 6. Ect
I hesitate to troubleshoot your Studio One issues on this board because it might be inappropriate. But I can certainly answer your question. PM me and I can help you out with Studio One routing. Or head over to the S1 forums TONS of good folks will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdfactormax View Post
Use Reaper

Well, you asked.
^ Lame
Gizzmo0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #52
Gizzmo0815

Default Presonus's Stuff

I'd check out Presonus' line of products. They all work great with Reaper, for one, and they've got great support. Preamps are excellent for this price range, and the control software that goes with them is slick.

http://www.presonus.com/products/pro...?ListingType=1

Highly recommended.

- Gizz

P.S. If you like firewire the Firestudio is great and is probably a bit cheaper now that they've released their newer USB systems.
Gizzmo0815 is offline   Reply With Quote