Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Steve94
Human being with feelings

Default Ableton's fx rack in Reaper?

Hello everyone! I'm new to forum and I'm thinking to move from Ableton to Reaper. I searched on the internet and I found that Reaper has unlimited capabilities and I wanted to know if there is any way to do the same thing with racks in Reaper just like Ableton. In Ableton I can create a rack and I can add as many instruments I want on a midi track and most importantly with fx rack, I can separate the dry from the wet signal and I can manipulate them just I want to. I searched that on the forum, but I didn't find any decent answer. So, is there any way to do that in Reaper?
Steve94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Michael AD

If you're like me, you will never go back to Ableton.

I recently booted Ableton up... and waited... and waited... I forgot how long it takes to boot compared to Reaper's nearly instantaneous startup. And then after fooling around with it for 2 minutes, I asked myself why I was bothering?

But to answer your question, one of the great strengths of Reaper is how you can route stuff and how you can apply FX at many levels - from a clip to a track, to the whole project! You want dry? You want wet? A mix? All possible.

So, just experiment putting a bunch of VSTs into a single track and you'll start to see the possibilities.

For inspiration and insight, watch Kenny's videos.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
Steve94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
If you're like me, you will never go back to Ableton.

I recently booted Ableton up... and waited... and waited... I forgot how long it takes to boot compared to Reaper's nearly instantaneous startup. And then after fooling around with it for 2 minutes, I asked myself why I was bothering?

But to answer your question, one of the great strengths of Reaper is how you can route stuff and how you can apply FX at many levels - from a clip to a track, to the whole project! You want dry? You want wet? A mix? All possible.

So, just experiment putting a bunch of VSTs into a single track and you'll start to see the possibilities.

For inspiration and insight, watch Kenny's videos.
Thanks for the response, but it doesn't answer my question. My question is if I can do something like these I mentioned in my first message.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
domzy

the answer is "yes" (michael did say that, by the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post

)

you can put any combination of plugins on a track and route them how you want & then you can save that as a template or FX chain if you need to.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Steve94

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
the answer is "yes" (michael did say that, by the way
)

you can put any combination of plugins on a track and route them how you want & then you can save that as a template or FX chain if you need to.
Is there any tutorial to see how to do that?
Old 08-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
domzy

i dunno, maybe search for "fx routing" or something,
but it's really easy - every time you load a plugin you have routing options (click the "2in 2out" box, for example) and you can use the pin connectors to route stuff wherever
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Michael AD

One of the great things about Reaper is there are SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS to do things. And since you are just starting out with Reaper, you need to just dive in and start playing around to see the possibilities.

Here are a few Kenny videos that might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTkndS6kl6U
(FX List on the Track Control Panel in REAPER)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67SujQnDmQ4
(Creating a Multi FX Rack in REAPER)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bL3cmERFY
(Plugins and FX)
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Steve94

Here are a few Kenny videos that might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTkndS6kl6U
(FX List on the Track Control Panel in REAPER)

Thanks buddy! That I believe it was so close to that I’m searching for. To let you all know what I want to do with that, is to separate on the same track the dry/wet and the mid/side signal. For example I want to sidechain the reverb just like Kshmr does at the following video. So that’s why I want something similar. Watch his first method.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcICh7UsPuU