Old 01-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
CRK
Human being with feelings

Default Trouble Using ReaInsert

I am new to Reaper and am trying to send tracks in some songs, to various outboard effects. I read that I should use ReaInsert but every time I use it, the tracks get this awful distorted sound (like as if there was feedback loop). I've tried lowering the output and input levels, but it still keeps happening if the signal has the smallest spike in volume. The other problem is that once I use the plugin, I then can't send a different track to a different outboard processor, It just keeps applying the same effect I applied with the insert the first time. What should I do? (May someone please explain the process used when using ReaInsert in detail, I know I'm doing something wrong.)
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
domzy

Are you sharing some outputs somewhere along the line? Every external effect you want to use will need it's own output (from reaper), and these would need to be different from the outputs you use for monitoring.

Last edited by domzy; 01-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
CRK

I don't think I am sharing some outputs along the line. Yet if so, how do I change them so that they are different from the outputs I use for monitoring.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
grinder

Go here

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....+reaper+insert

If you get into trouble post again spelling out what you have done we need details on what procedure you have followed to help you.
Remember the manual is there also to help you.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
CRK

So... I go to add FX for lets say track 1. Then I click VST and click VST: ReaInsert (Cockos), and click OK. Then I go to hardware sends and select Analog 1(1) in the left option bank, and None in the right option bank for both the hardware sends and the hardware returns. Is this correct, because nothing seems to happen after that.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
CRK

I can see on the compressor's VU meter that audio from the AD/DA converter is being sent, and can see that the correct cable is being sent back into the AD/DA converter, so I think I am setting something up incorrectly in Reaper
Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
grinder

Ah
Are you to be using Hardware or spdif?
We need to read what gear you are using (interface) and what whether you are wanting to use
audio cable to your hardware or SPDIF cable.
Then we can help

Grinder
Old 01-29-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
Arionas

Lets say your main output is channels 1-2 of your soundcard output.
Let’s say you have a hardware compressor connected in your soundcard (e.g. compressor outputs A-B connected to inputs 3-4 of your soundcard and compressor inputs A-B connected with outputs 3-4).
Lets say you insert reainsert plugin on your drum buss track.
At reainsert gui, you set 3-4 for both inputs and outputs. Ping and done.
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
CRK

The interface I use is an RME ADI 2 Pro...because it is my personal converter (which I use mostly to listen to music, rather than record with), it only has two analog channels in and four analog channels out. However, Reaper is only showing me two channels out, which I initially thought would be fine for what I am trying to do. I think the settings on the RME are fine, because it allowed my to record on to the computer, and is also sending audio out to my hardware.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
sisaso

Please check the manual of the ADI and have a look at the device mode settings.
SETUP – Options – Device Mode – CC-Mode. Looks like the Adi has to run in multichannel mode to utilize all outputs.
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products...=1470403485800
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
The interface I use is an RME ADI 2 Pro...because it is my personal converter (which I use mostly to listen to music, rather than record with), it only has two analog channels in and four analog channels out. However, Reaper is only showing me two channels out, which I initially thought would be fine for what I am trying to do. I think the settings on the RME are fine, because it allowed my to record on to the computer, and is also sending audio out to my hardware.
Do you have all 4 analog outputs of the ADI enabled under Reaper preferences -> Audio -> device -> outputs? Else, you are always sharing the same two outputs for monitoring and for ReaInsert. This will obviously cause feedback and will not work.

If you have chosen to use outputs 1-2 for your monitoring/master output you must not use the same outputs in ReaInsert. You have to use outputs 3-4 there (if they had been activated in the first place as stated above).
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
CRK

So I checked the manual, and found nothing about a multi-channel mode...or something similar. I also am apparently sharing the same two outputs. However it is not giving me an option to use the other two. RME's manual said that one set is for balanced signals, and that the other is for unbalanced signals. It does however have two headphone amplifiers with their own outputs that work independently. So is there a way I can make this work?
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 AM   #13
grinder

You should be able to use mono Hardware or SPDIF? Anyone tell me if you think that idea is wrong? If you wish to use "one in input" using an instrument to record at the same time.

I see the RME has AES, SPDIF, ADAT) has your hardware go this?
If so that would be the way to go.
Re analogue connection
You can unhook your hardware when you wish to record in with an instrument and just hook up when you wish to alter your sound using attached hardware thus if you have stereo hardware you can do that.
I am assuming because you have the option of 4 outs you can run your hardware through and out from outs 3 and 4. ( this has already been said.)
Your mixer outs (usually 1 and 2 ) always need their own dedicated channels.
Muck with them at your peril.

Grinder
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 AM   #14
SonicAxiom

Quote:
So I checked the manual, and found nothing about a multi-channel mode...or something similar. I also am apparently sharing the same two outputs. However it is not giving me an option to use the other two. RME's manual said that one set is for balanced signals, and that the other is for unbalanced signals. It does however have two headphone amplifiers with their own outputs that work independently. So is there a way I can make this work?
To make use of ReaInsert for a stereo signal or two mono signals, you need to be able to route 4 channels out of Reaper (2 for the stereo monitoring and 2 others for the insert send's signals). Unforunately, as the device only offers 2 physical outputs in Reaper, this is not possible. The ADI only allows you to output one stereo signal on 3 different physical outputs. But you cannot route a different signal to any of the three outputs simultaneously. They are only sharing the same stereo signal.

The ADI-2 has been conceived to sonically excell for stereo signals in a high-end listening environment but not as a flexible routing tool in a music production scenario. You will be forced to add another device (like an RME Babyface) and connect it to the ADAT output of the ADI-2 to add another analog stereo/dual mono output.

Please have this confirmed by the RME service to avoid unnecessary purchase of another device :-)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
CRK

RME has yet to confirm if that has to be done. However would I have to buy another device that would hook up to the ADAT output, or could I just use an old two channel USB DAC that I already have. In other words could I send a stereo track out of the analog outputs on the ADI 2 Pro, into a piece of hardware, and back into the stereo analog inputs of ADI 2 Pro (AND NOT GET THE FEEDBACK PROBLEM), and then use a completely independent DAC for monitoring. If so, how would I configure this within Reaper?
Old 02-01-2018, 04:22 AM   #16
domzy

it is possible to use two devices at once, depending on your drivers. You can do this in windows with asio4all.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #17
Jimmy James

I was having major trouble as well. I found a great tutorial a d followed spot on. But it left out a step. The in a d outs on ReaInsert. It did t tell me I needed to change that.
So after 2 days of pulling my hair out, that was the problem. I was sending audio to my OB EQ, back into interface, back into a Reaper track.
I had audio going to the new track and to the Main Buss. This made it distorted.

Tldr;In and Outs is normally the problem.....
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
CRK

Can you post the link to the tutorial?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #19
SonicAxiom

Quote:
RME has yet to confirm if that has to be done. However would I have to buy another device that would hook up to the ADAT output, or could I just use an old two channel USB DAC that I already have. In other words could I send a stereo track out of the analog outputs on the ADI 2 Pro, into a piece of hardware, and back into the stereo analog inputs of ADI 2 Pro (AND NOT GET THE FEEDBACK PROBLEM), and then use a completely independent DAC for monitoring. If so, how would I configure this within Reaper?
Reaper can only work with one ASIO device at a time. If you use ASIO4all, you can make an aggregate device of all the interfaces connected to your computer and select ASIO4all in Reaper as the audio device. ASIO4all doesn't run stable with every combination of interfaces, though, and latency will be magnitudes worse than that of the ADI 2 alone.

If you don't wanna do this, you will have to get hold of an additional interface that has analog intputs, several mic pre's and several analog outputs plus an ADAT in/out. You can then route the additional interface's analog input signals to the ADI 2 via ADAT and choose the ADI 2 as your interface in Reaper (with very low latency again) and enjoy up to 10 input channels (depending on the actual analog input capacity of your additional interface).

Aas I stated before, the smallest fairly decent solution will be an additional, second-hand RME Babyface. It can connect to the ADI 2 via ADAT and can contribute 2 analog inputs to the two of the ADI 2. If you are thinking about recording larger sessions where you need more analog inputs, you may rather add an 8-channel interface with ADAT outs (cheapest probably being the Behringer ADA-8200 but I don't think its quality is exactly on par with the ADI 2's). An Octamic will also work.

Another option could be a small second hand digital console like a Yamaha 01v96VCM or 01v96i that have an ADAT i/o on board. This would provide additional routing, monitoring and input/output flexibility (like comfortable zero-latency cue mixes and) and basic MIDI controller capabilities.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #20
CRK

This is just my home setup for recording my solo work (nothing serious) the ADI 2 was really purchased for listening to music. I just use my Universal Audio Solo 610 as desktop preamp (more preamps are not needed at the moment, because I am just recording me, myself, and I). But what your saying is that I CANNOT just use a two channel USB DAC for monitoring, while sending a stereo track out of the analog outputs on the ADI 2 Pro, into a piece of hardware, and back into the stereo analog inputs of ADI 2 Pro (AND NOT GET THE FEEDBACK PROBLEM). Does the latency issue really make this setup unusable?
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #21
SonicAxiom

Quote:
This is just my home setup for recording my solo work (nothing serious) the ADI 2 was really purchased for listening to music. I just use my Universal Audio Solo 610 as desktop preamp (more preamps are not needed at the moment, because I am just recording me, myself, and I). But what your saying is that I CANNOT just use a two channel USB DAC for monitoring, while sending a stereo track out of the analog outputs on the ADI 2 Pro, into a piece of hardware, and back into the stereo analog inputs of ADI 2 Pro (AND NOT GET THE FEEDBACK PROBLEM). Does the latency issue really make this setup unusable?
The Reaper audio device selection menu lets you select only a single audio device. If you have connected more than one audio device to your computer you need the ASIO4all driver. It can aggregate all audio devices of the computer and make them appear as a single audio device to Reaper. You then choose ASIO4all as Reaper's audio device and have access to all ins/outs of the aggregated devices. Latency will get significantly higher but as long as you do not need to monitor through the daw while tracking or to play virtual intruments in real-time this should not be an issue.

With ASIO4all you can record the inputs of the ADI 2 as well as the analog inputs of the other connected USB interface and you will also be able to send out up to 4 separate audio channels from Reaper. You can decide which device you will be using for the two monitoring outputs and which one for the inserts. Maybe it's a good idea to use the ADI 2 for insert purposes as it is the better interface. In this case, the other interface will take care of Reaper's monitoring outputs.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
Jimmy James

I beli3ve this was the video I used. I figured I can see and hear him make it work, so I know for sure he knows how to do it LOL....

Look at the comments below the video in YT. And remember to untick the Mains so you send it all to a new track.
I had the noise and distortion problem. The feed backproblem, etc. I hwvnt used reinsert again, so i wilo habe to be reminded.
But this should help.

https://youtu.be/Ao3L74R7t7M

This video helps as well and starts off with preference settings. But the first video helped me crack the code.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KiY2M_9UIc
Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #23
Jimmy James

Dang it, forgot one last thing. Sweetwater had a guide on using a Focusrite 18i20 as a Insert.
I would double check your device FIRST! That way you know that is right. I broke it down to 3 parts.

1. My Interface
2. My Cabeling
3. Reaper

If you break each part down and make sure each part is spot on. The last thing is to sort it in Reaper then.
Now you don't have to pull your hair out for trouble shooting the wrong part.