Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

I'll be making the switch in about a week, and I'm dreading dealing with compatibility issues. My interface will have slightly lower latency (ugggh) since M-Audio disabled high performance mode for 64 bit. I'm wondering how Reason 5 plays with Reaper on 64 bit Windows.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #42
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I'll be making the switch in about a week, and I'm dreading dealing with compatibility issues. My interface will have slightly lower latency (ugggh) since M-Audio disabled high performance mode for 64 bit. I'm wondering how Reason 5 plays with Reaper on 64 bit Windows.
What does this mean, disable "high performance"? Is that only on particular cards? I have the EXACT same latency on this computer as my 32 computer with the exact same card (both are TI chipset fw controllers)
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #43
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
What does this mean, disable "high performance"? Is that only on particular cards? I have the EXACT same latency on this computer as my 32 computer with the exact same card (both are TI chipset fw controllers)
The fast track ultra series has a high performance mode which allows 64 samples buffer on 32 bit windows......what I've read is that roundtrip latency is a little higher on 64 bit windows, but I shall see for myself soon enough.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #44
chrisharbin

Quote:
The fast track ultra series has a high performance mode which allows 64 samples buffer on 32 bit windows......what I've read is that roundtrip latency is a little higher on 64 bit windows, but I shall see for myself soon enough.
Had no idea, thanks for the info!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #45
DigiDis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
To get rid of that extra window... right-click the VST (in the fx browser), select 'run as', then embed GUI...

no more little window!

Bluzkat, YOU DA' MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I am running x64 and no problems. I often run Omnisphere, Trilian and Superior Drummer together and Ram goes above 4gig.
DigiDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #46
joaobgb

64bit was one of the reasons I started using Reaper, if you want/need to run large libraries, or any other vsti that uses a good amount of RAM is almost impossible not to use 64 bit, you can try to find a way to have a good workflow working with freezes/renders, it's not my case.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #47
Bassman1

Just gone over to REAPER 64 bit today. I have three 64 bit plugs, and the other 32 bit plugs seem fine, so far, bridged.

One question: The lame mp3 file I updated to 64 bit, but so far I cannot find a 64bit version of the ffmpeg .dll for video, anyone know if there is one?

EDIT 64bit version here: http://aegiscorp.free.fr/ffmpeg/

Last edited by Bassman1; 02-12-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Bassman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #48
kgarello

Scratches and pops - like i am cpu bound. I've tried all variations of seperate process and such.

I probably should just run 32bit as I don't have more than 4GB, but I'm stubborn - running 64bit OS - should be able to run 64 bit program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
What trouble are you experiencing? His plugins are excellent - I use them all the time. Hope its not a general issue...
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #49
Mod Bod

I'm running Reaper x64. I was running in 64 bit prior to Reaper when I was using SONAR. I mainly went 64 bit because I was bumping RAM limitations with Superior Drummer 2.0. Some of the kits are huge if you load all of the articulations and bleeds.

http://www.gatortraks.com
Mod Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #50
mikeroephonics

64-bit with 32GB DDR3 RAM. Using all of it....mwahahahaha
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #51
lxm

64 bit is the now and future. no reason to stay 32 bit. few plugins sill remain at 32. soundtoys and wave$ will be 64 in a couple months.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #52
Antonov_Mike

Default Reaper415_x64

"How many of you are running Reaper x64" = 6 months. Now I still use use reaper415_x64.
"why?" - all of the RAM.
Note unpleasant moment: Some 32-bit plug-ins cause crash the program. Sometimes. Not very often. This is sad. I hope this is fixed in the latest version of Reaper - 4151_x64.
Antonov_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #53
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonov_Mike View Post
Note unpleasant moment: Some 32-bit plug-ins cause crash the program. Sometimes. Not very often. This is sad. I hope this is fixed in the latest version of Reaper - 4151_x64.
What plugins are causing you problems? I think your 'crash' problem is more than likely a bad plugin.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #54
natierau

64bit was the reason I moved to Reaper, been using 64bit from the start. No problems at all. If anything goes wrong, just look for the culprit plug.

I tried to push my new pc to the limit and did some really crazy routing with very power hungry plugins, finally got Reaper to stutter and the pc up to 90%, stuttering ended up to be a routing type issue that I am trying to find some answers to but when I removed that Reaper still ran flawlessly at 90% processor usage. Try that with any other DAW and see what happens. CRASH BOOM BANG...
natierau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #55
Antonov_Mike

Quote:
What plugins are causing you problems? I think your 'crash' problem is more than likely a bad plugin.

NI FM8, NI Massive. On Reaper 4.15. Earlier there were no problems with Native Instruments.
Now i have Reaper 4.151. At the moment there are no problems.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #56
chrisharbin

That's odd. FM8 and Massive run fine here (well, FM8 does have a weird bug but it's not crashing or anything)
Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #57
bluzkat

Quote:
NI FM8, NI Massive. On Reaper 4.15. Earlier there were no problems with Native Instruments.
Now i have Reaper 4.151. At the moment there are no problems.
Are you running the most 'recent' versions of FM 8 and Massive? If not, try updating and see if that makes a difference.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #58
Antonov_Mike

Quote:
Are you running the most 'recent' versions of FM 8 and Massive? If not, try updating and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you.
I have updated Reaper. The problem did not reoccure.
I suppose it was the 32-bridge that caused the problem. But i am not sure.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #59
chrisharbin

Quote:
Thank you.
I have updated Reaper. The problem did not reoccure.
I suppose it was the 32-bridge that caused the problem. But i am not sure.
There are 64 bit versions of both of those plugins. One thing that happens with NI stuff is usually both versions get installed (x86/x64) For whatever reason the x86/bridged version always takes precedent. I have to remove the x86 versions (I just move them to a desktop folder) and then the x64 versions load. I have no idea why.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #60
Antonov_Mike

Quote:
There are 64 bit versions of both of those plugins. One thing that happens with NI stuff is usually both versions get installed (x86/x64) For whatever reason the x86/bridged version always takes precedent. I have to remove the x86 versions (I just move them to a desktop folder) and then the x64 versions load. I have no idea why.
FM8 and Massive - not 64-bit.
I ave no idea to.
The problem occured in Reaper 4.15, but it did not on 4.151. Now all of the 32-bit vst work correctly.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #61
chrisharbin

Quote:
FM8 and Massive - not 64-bit.
I ave no idea to.
The problem occured in Reaper 4.15, but it did not on 4.151. Now all of the 32-bit vst work correctly.
That's cool but my versions of massive and fm8 are x64.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #62
brainwreck

Quote:
It was true. Just under 10ms roundtrip here on 64 bit Windows 7 (9.86ms), where on 32 bit Windows XP, I could get something like 4.9ms.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #63
chrisharbin

I don't get it. Why would they have drivers that give much lower latency for x64 usb??? My fw profire is 6.2ms roundtrip with 64 buffer.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #64
Sleep opposed

64 bit here too...overall it runs great. I do get a small amount of odd behaviour at times, but nothing major and i get the feeling its due to something specific causing issues rather than reaper or being 64bit.

Reapers wrapping works great.
Sleep opposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #65
Win Conway

Depending on what plugins you are using 64bit can be great, luckily we have had the ability to run two entirely separate setups here, one 64 bit and one still running 32 bit.

Some guidelines that we have garnered from this experience

1 Only use 64 bit if your most used plugins are available in 64 bit (Bridging can work fine but you "WILL" get crashes no matter what anybody tells you, plus on big projects where there are lots of bridged plugins, the bridging CPU does build up quite heavily)

2 Quite a lot of 32 bit only plugins will crash Reapers bridge, so sort through your plugins and bomb test them before doing anything serious.

3 If you have 6 gig of RAM or below then XP 32 running 4 gig will out perform Win 7 64 running 6 gig (We have tested and confirmed this many times now, for some reason Win 7 64 is a bit of a RAM guzzler even with services switched off)

4 1 to 1 performance is nearly impossible to compare because the performance is so similar between 32 bit and 64 bit systems, that is unless you are using RAM heavy plugins (Samplers/Romplers/Convolution based effects like Nebula) so there is zero benefit outside using these types of plugins in moving to 64 bit.

64 bit is very obviously the future ahead of us, however there simply is no rush unless you need the extra RAM for the types of plugins mentioned, if you do then think about moving to 64, if you don't then don't be in a rush to move to 64
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #66
brainwreck

Quote:
I don't get it. Why would they have drivers that give much lower latency for x64 usb??? My fw profire is 6.2ms roundtrip with 64 buffer.
Good question. I saw a couple of mentions in the M-Audio forum stating that high performance mode didn't work that well on 32 bit any way......bullshit, it worked fine, here. I have no idea why a new driver would make latency go up.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #67
Romualdo

Quote:
To get rid of that extra window... right-click the VST (in the fx browser), select 'run as', then embed GUI...

no more little window!

Thank you!
Romualdo is offline   Reply With Quote