Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
tommyc
Human being with feelings

Default E-MU 0404?

I'm thinking of getting an E-MU 0404 USB audio/midi device.

See:

http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=15185

Anyone know if it will it work with Reaper?

thanks.
tommyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
randygo

I use the PCI version with ASIO4All 2.6 in Reaper. The Emu supplied ASIO driver is a little flaky in my experience. ASIO4All 2.7 seemed to be a little unstable with the card as well.

The card sounds fantastic, but the drivers and the convoluted Patchmix app seem a little unstable. I haven't done much recording with it, so I can't say much about that.

In hindsight, I'd probably consider an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, as that card seems to have a pretty decent reputation.

I have a USB audio interface (Tascam US-224) on my other PC, and I have it working well now, but I found Tascam's drivers to be pretty poor, and in combination with sub-par Windows 2000 USB support, I saw many a Blue Screen of Death. I don't think I would buy another USB audio interface.

Cheers,

Randy

Last edited by randygo; 12-06-2006 at 05:49 PM.
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Diogenes

Quote:
The card sounds fantastic, but the drivers and the convoluted Patchmix app seem a little unstable. I haven't done much recording with it, so I can't say much about that.
BLASPHEMY!

Seriously, I have an 1820M and LOVE IT. Rock solid performance and I could not live without PatchMix... That's just been my experience though. I've read other reports similar to Randy's. Go figure....

Having said that, I'd order the 0404 in a heart beat and shake it down good. If it no worky... send it back.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
tommyc

Many thanks to both of you. The spec for the price seems the best I can find by far, but the drivers worry me a bit.

I would only need it to play a few notes from a midi keyboard into Reaper and record some vocals now and then - most of my music will use VSTi's.

Thanks for your advice as if I do get one then I will now make sure that I could return it.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Diogenes

If you are in the US, may I suggest Sweetwater? I have bought a bunch of stuff from them and the service is just great. Nice return policy too.

D

http://www.sweetwater.com

Quote:
"No Hassle" Return Policy:
We want you to be completely happy with your purchase from Sweetwater. If you are not satisfied with any product, you may return it for a refund of the purchase price, an in-house credit, or exchange for another product within a fair amount of time from the shipping date (30 days or so). If your purchase was eligible for Free Shipping, the shipping cost will be deducted from your credit or refund.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
keyman_sam

Ok, I'm an EMU 0404 PCI user. LOVE IT TO DEATH. Works fantastic in reaper. Listen : The driver issue was a LONG TIME ago. After that, EMU released rock-solid drivers and no complaints from me after that. The patchmix absolutely rules. You can route crazy with it. Say, you want to route anything the computer plays through the soundcard (like internet radio), you can route that to reaper and record it in reaper.

In other words : Get the emu right now.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
randygo

>The driver issue was a LONG TIME ago.

Its certainly a lot better than it was, but I'm not convinced its 100% yet.

Every so often, Patchmix inexplicably dies and I have to restart it. Or it appears to be running, but I still have to restart it. Or it will work great in one host, but not so great in another.

I have the latest drivers and the latest Patchmix.

Still, for $99 its a great value, and the fidelity is excellent.

Cheers,

Randy
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
PMental

I have an EMU0404 myself, traditionally an FL Studio user since way back. Had some, not really major, stability issues with earlier drivers in FL Studio, not had any problems since the later drivers (which aren't that new anymore). I can't even remember the patchmix crashing...

Not had a single glitch in Reaper.

The card works very well, I do use it about like you said, play on a midi keyboard, record some vocals now and then. Have recently recorded a bit more but never had any troubles.

Very good soundwise, but recording and playing back imo.

Recommended by me for sure.
PMental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
tommyc

I've now bought an E-MU 0404 and it seems great but I've only tried midi input so far to connect my keyboard to the computer.

One of the good things about it is that it has outputs so that I can connect studio monitors (yet to purchase) and has a headphone socket with volume control which I could use for a vocalist, midi in and out sockets, plus mic inputs. Lots of connections.

Includes a power supply, USB2 cable, and DAW software.

It seems well built and for the money, it seems a very, very good buy.