Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default Feature Request!

Use the left/right arrow keys to scroll through tracks.

I just tried v1 and its not in there (unless there's some keys assigened to do that already. i never read manuals lol!)
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

I'm used to Samplitude and like using the left/right keys for cursor movement and the up/down keys for scrolling through track selection.

I think REAPER needs to be REPAIRED to rectify this situation. Then I think it will REQUIRE no more improvement except for bug fixes!!

ARA (chanapar)
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 13,710
Default

do you have a mouse with a wheel on it?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
do you have a mouse with a wheel on it?
no, i have a logitech track ball. its got two buttons for scrolling but a wheel it ain't.

are you tryin to tell me a wheel is the ticket for this? if so can we re-assign said wheel to other buttons/keys?

ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 13,710
Default

wheel is cool for this but Im sure someone will come along and tell you an easy way for your setup... Art Evans has made something called "reaper keys" which seems to make many users joyous
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
wheel is cool for this but Im sure someone will come along and tell you an easy way for your setup... Art Evans has made something called "reaper keys" which seems to make many users joyous
well that sounds good! point me in the right direction cause i'd like to be joyous too.

ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #7
Art Evans
Mortal
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,656
Default

Re "ReaperKeys" - see http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...0&postcount=25 for details. But it won't help with this particular request. However, I do still intend to publish the source code (rather grand name for it...) for how I've done the key reassignments (using AutoHotKey) but I'm under pressure to do other (less interesting) things first - hope to get to it within a week.

Meanwhile, AutoHotKey is pretty easy to use anyway.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #8
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Re "ReaperKeys" - see http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...0&postcount=25 for details. But it won't help with this particular request. However, I do still intend to publish the source code (rather grand name for it...) for how I've done the key reassignments (using AutoHotKey) but I'm under pressure to do other (less interesting) things first - hope to get to it within a week.

Meanwhile, AutoHotKey is pretty easy to use anyway.
i guess its back to a feature request again lol!! here's a little something for justin to think about: n-track uses the left/right arrow keys to scroll through tracks! if old n-track has that feature the new reaper definitely should. in my case i use many tracks to organize my material so scrolling through is a lot better than window scrolling to a particular track to click on it. i think that mess they call sonar has it too...

thanks for the link and your efforts art. i'm trying out reaperkeys now and i like it! publish away!

ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
doclike
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 262
Default

@Justin:

I had some improvements for the next Version:

1. Lock items in time

2. coloured clips

3. right-klick hold to move clips

4. Left-klick hold + strg to drag a frame for selecting items

5. Select all items/clips in Folder. Perhaps right klick on folder.

6. Mix down to track (selected items) or Bounce track items to new clip/take. (f.e. Combining 4 items to 1 item)

7. I like the up/down Scrollbar on the left side. So you're quicker to change f.e. FX settings and scroll down to the next track.

8. Mute (grouped) clips. Should be directly in the right-klick menu, not in a sub menu

Great Work so far. Reaper kicks ass.

doc
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 AM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,656
Default

Quote:
7. I like the up/down Scrollbar on the left side. So you're quicker to change f.e. FX settings and scroll down to the next track.
That's the kind of obvious request which one wonders why nobody has asked for it before (as far as I recall).

Mute clips - alt/m is probably going to be quicker than a menu option anyway, but indeed you'd expect to see that in the right click menu.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclike
@Justin:

I had some improvements for the next Version:

1. Lock items in time

2. coloured clips

3. right-klick hold to move clips

4. Left-klick hold + strg to drag a frame for selecting items

5. Select all items/clips in Folder. Perhaps right klick on folder.

6. Mix down to track (selected items) or Bounce track items to new clip/take. (f.e. Combining 4 items to 1 item)

7. I like the up/down Scrollbar on the left side. So you're quicker to change f.e. FX settings and scroll down to the next track.

8. Mute (grouped) clips. Should be directly in the right-klick menu, not in a sub menu

Great Work so far. Reaper kicks ass.

doc

i'm for everything except #3 & #4. individual clip movement is fine as it is now.

left-side scrollbar is a good idea!

there's only one idea better: up/down arrow keys highight and select current track! its the only thing i see missing in reaper!!

as for a metronome, it would be ok. in my case i never use them so its only beneficial to me if i'm working with someone else that thinks that way. i always lay down a real drum or percussion track - thats my metronome lol!

i look at the timeline very much like x-y graph paper and the arrow keys are the natural way to navigate that grid. we have the left/right arrow keys for moving the cursor (x axis) and now we just need the up/down arrow keys for selecting the track (y axis).

ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
doclike
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 262
Default

You won't have to use feature No.4. (left klick hold + strg for dragging a frame to select clips).

But I would apprechiate it. For me it's very complicated to get all splitted items at once. F.e. a single Bassdrum or Snare hit, because they are so small. It would be much easier to drag a frame to catch them all, instead of zooming in and missing some.

doc
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,656
Default

alt/Right click /drag to draw a marquee across multiple items.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
doclike
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 262
Default

God damnit Art Evans. You know everything. Great. Love it.
1 Down,... 7 more to go

doc
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Justin is on a roll again updating v1 fast and furiously~!

There's no doubt Reaper needs more cleaning up in terms of the little details but Pro (S)tools v1 it ain't! This baby hit the ground running and now its far ahead of the pack.

I've tried and I've tried but I can't find a way to set the up/down arrow keys up to scroll/select tracks! This is the little detail that is like a dripping faucet for me, so I'll hope J. notices

Ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 AM   #16
doclike
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 262
Default

Agree...

Scrolling Tracks with the Arrow Keys would be very good.

Till now I haven't used the Arrow Keys once

doc
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:42 AM   #17
winbe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,309
Default scroll wheel: still dangerous because of faders....

Hello,

I have a mouse with a wheel, and I am so used to it that in Reaper I am very tempted to roll the wheel to scroll down the tracks. But there is only a tiny zone where you can safely roll the wheel: if while rolling the mouse pointer lands on a fader, then the scroll action will change, and it will move your fader !

So I try to avoid the wheel because it is a very frustrating experience, you have to be very careful to where you position your mouse before beginning the scrolling...

My wish would be that before changing a fader, you have to click on it first to activate it (which is quite a standard behavior).

Many mouse / keyboard behaviors in Reaper are not standard, this is a bit frustrating I must say, even if I am sure there is a good reason (the "alt + right click drag" to select events, instead of simply... "click and drag" for example...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
do you have a mouse with a wheel on it?
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #18
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

ok then!

we all see the benefit of having the arrow keys for scrolling through the tracks. i use a trackball so i don't know about the mouse wheel action, but if its anything like winbe described i'd definitely prefer the arrow keys!

what makes it kind of strange is that the left/right arrow keys are for moving the cursor, but the up/down keys are for horizontal zooming! thats very counter-intuitive and i always find myself getting frustrated pressing those keys and zooming one way or the other. how much more productive (and pleasant) it would be to find that we can navigate through all the tracks and the full length of our projects with just four keys - already properly marked and grouped together!!

ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
olzzon
Human being with feelings
 
olzzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 706
Default

As iīm using the scrollwheel for zooming the up/down arrow would be okay to change to change track. But itīs not that important for me, and iīm not sure if itīs for any use, the way reaper works. I can see it in cubase and saw, where you have a per track window that follows the active track, but the way reaper is build, i canīt see the advance of having it there, but it might be there just havenīt seen it. :-)


Concerning the scrollwheel, yes itīs anoying when you scroll and end up changing a fader, but i would much prefer that the area left of the fader(or below in mixer view) is the only area used for scrolling.
And that the mouse over fader adjust stays as it is now. This is something iīve dreamt about for years.

You can also allways scroll in the main window using, ctrl-alt-wheel if thatīs easier.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. Thatīs why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Kasper Olsson Hans
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #20
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
As iīm using the scrollwheel for zooming the up/down arrow would be okay to change to change track. But itīs not that important for me, and iīm not sure if itīs for any use, the way reaper works. I can see it in cubase and saw, where you have a per track window that follows the active track, but the way reaper is build, i canīt see the advance of having it there, but it might be there just havenīt seen it. :-)


Concerning the scrollwheel, yes itīs anoying when you scroll and end up changing a fader, but i would much prefer that the area left of the fader(or below in mixer view) is the only area used for scrolling.
And that the mouse over fader adjust stays as it is now. This is something iīve dreamt about for years.

You can also allways scroll in the main window using, ctrl-alt-wheel if thatīs easier.
Now that you reminded, yes, we need a per track window, or track inspector too! Right now I just keep the mixer window open my second monitor so I can scroll through all the tracks to get to the one I want. I use a lot of tracks so this is extremely useful for me.

But now that you bring that up (track inspector) it would be ideal to have one - especially an expanded window strip that would have an actual list of vst-s and dxi-s in use as well as keeping the other important parameters clearly visible. This is one of the features I actually like in SAW and Sonar.

If we had a track inspector and the arrow keys for scrolling through tracks I'd keep the mixer window closed unless it was really needed.

Thats a very good point! You sort of completed my feature request list!

Ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #21
olzzon
Human being with feelings
 
olzzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapar
Now that you reminded, yes, we need a per track window, or track inspector too! Right now I just keep the mixer window open my second monitor so I can scroll through all the tracks to get to the one I want. I use a lot of tracks so this is extremely useful for me.

But now that you bring that up (track inspector) it would be ideal to have one - especially an expanded window strip that would have an actual list of vst-s and dxi-s in use as well as keeping the other important parameters clearly visible. This is one of the features I actually like in SAW and Sonar.

If we had a track inspector and the arrow keys for scrolling through tracks I'd keep the mixer window closed unless it was really needed.

Thats a very good point! You sort of completed my feature request list!

Ara

Somehow itīs allready there, if we rightclick at thefader, the "controls for track #" comes up, and the Fx window we have too.

Then it just should be made so that the "controls for track #" and the Fx windows could stay open and follow the selected track.
Either as a docked window or floating.
They could be placed on the second monitor for those who liked it.
Iīm not sure i would use it that much though. I actually like the way reaper handles it. :-)
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. Thatīs why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Kasper Olsson Hans
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #22
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
Somehow itīs allready there, if we rightclick at thefader, the "controls for track #" comes up, and the Fx window we have too.

Then it just should be made so that the "controls for track #" and the Fx windows could stay open and follow the selected track.
Either as a docked window or floating.
They could be placed on the second monitor for those who liked it.
Iīm not sure i would use it that much though. I actually like the way reaper handles it. :-)
Interesting! I never even knew the track control window existed - maybe because its access is counter-intuitive.

I'd much rather see this replaced with a floating/dockable track inspector that contains an actual visible list of FX on that track (along with other essential parameters). This way we could quickly scroll through many tracks and know exactly what the status of each is without having to right click on that narrow strip of screen real estate.

I think this is why a number of other programs have such a window. Its especially useful to me since I work with a high track count but I think it would streamline workflow for most people - no need to right click in a very specific spot on each track - just arrow key over to the track in question to make changes and then on the next with no mouse clicking at all.

Ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #23
maa
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 1,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapar
I'd much rather see this replaced with a floating/dockable track inspector that contains an actual visible list of FX on that track
No don't - please! "track inspector" sounds very famliliar but its a rediculous work around for not putting things in the TCP in the first place

What you see in the TCP (Track Controll Pannel) is a matter of
zoom level but leaving things off the GUI and inventing another GUI to compensate is like putting your car on a trailer and getting someone to pull it for you.

We STILL need this:


maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 AM   #24
EnzymeX
Human being with feelings
 
EnzymeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclike
@Justin:

I had some improvements for the next Version:

...

7. I like the up/down Scrollbar on the left side. So you're quicker to change f.e. FX settings and scroll down to the next track.

...

doc
+1

I understand that scrollbar on the right follows windows convention.

I also understand that convention only makes sense to Microslop. Promotes carpal tunnel.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #25
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa
No don't - please! "track inspector" sounds very famliliar but its a rediculous work around for not putting things in the TCP in the first place

What you see in the TCP (Track Controll Pannel) is a matter of
zoom level but leaving things off the GUI and inventing another GUI to compensate is like putting your car on a trailer and getting someone to pull it for you.

We STILL need this:


Cool! You just re-invented the track inspector in the TCP lol! Now if we can just make it dockable/floatable and select the tracks with the arrow keys we're there

So we agree in principle but differ a little in implementation. For a large track count a floating/dockable window makes the most sense but its still good for any number of tracks. If all of us only dealt with a few tracks I'd say putting it all in the TCP is fine, but we don't, so go with the window (inspector, channel strip, whatever lol).

Ara

ps - nice graphic
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #26
Art Evans
Mortal
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,656
Default



(click on the image for higher res).

That's the Audition way of accessing FX in the track control panel, and there is a similar list in the mixer. The little arrow beside each slot brings up a menu to insert a different effect or see the whole rack.

Note that there is a scrollbar to scroll the list with if required. If the track gets zoomed out, maybe only one effect at a time is visible. That's the trouble with that method - you have to be zoomed well in for it to work.

My view is that a right click on the FX button (in the track and in the mixer) to bring up a list like you get when you right click on the transport to see the list of markers to jump to would be better - no need to change zoom to see all the effects and select the one you want to tweak.

Last edited by Art Evans; 08-08-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #27
maa
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 1,276
Default

The track inspecter is a one track mixer

The mixer needs to display this stuff anyway. It can squash down to one track + master already which follows the activated track = Very good!


So with routing and plugins showing in the Mixer and the TCP what the f**** is an "inspecter" sposed to do ? Show the stuff that got left out ? Replace Mixer and TCP?
Having a little more control over the zoom level of the track view would solve most of this issue (as long as the FX / Routing finally makes it there) and for those that neeed everything visible in the Mixer - well they wont want a floating "inspector" either.

What we all want is visibility and overview.

And yes - I do multitrack recording / mixing.
A one track inspector is not going to have that much use for me - I want to see as many tracks as possible and its up to me and the zoom level I use / set on indiviual tracks as to what I can see in the TCP.
"Channel Max" might be zoom or button option.

I do hope this gets sorted soon - it keeps comming up.

Cheers

M
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #28
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa

So with routing and plugins showing in the Mixer and the TCP what the f**** is an "inspecter" sposed to do ? Show the stuff that got left out ? Replace Mixer and TCP?
Having a little more control over the zoom level of the track view would solve most of this issue (as long as the FX / Routing finally makes it there) and for those that neeed everything visible in the Mixer - well they wont want a floating "inspector" either.

What we all want is visibility and overview.

And yes - I do multitrack recording / mixing.
A one track inspector is not going to have that much use for me - I want to see as many tracks as possible and its up to
Temper temper lol!

A track inspector is another way to view a project. Its that simple. The mixer and TCP is primarily for setting levels and panning - mixing!

A track inspector is for looking in greater detail at each track. Trying to cram all that information into a standard mixer is unrealistic, and why Sonar's TCP and mixer are too busy and irritating.

So now you know maa! A mixer window is for mixing and a track inspector is for inspecting a track.

Art, I see no reason why we couldn't have a track inspector and at the same time have more info available in the mixer or TCP by right-clicking as you are suggesting (FX list).

The bottom line is any DAW software worth using has a number of ways to view a project - not just one. If we are to argue that then whats the point in having a TCP? We have a mixer already lol! Why duplicate it with a mixer spread over all the tracks? The reason is obvious: its another useful way to view a project, just like a track inspector is.

Since Reaper already allows us to minimize the TCP, I'd like to be able to minimize it completely to have the tracks extend from one side of the screen to the other and work just with the mixer window and/or a (future) track inspector. To me thats the most efficient use of screen real estate.

Ara

Last edited by chanapar; 08-08-2006 at 10:28 AM.
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #29
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Today I was recording a West African drum troupe and I miked each of the 12 drummers. I also used a pair of inexpensive omni measurement mics to capture the "air" during the performance. Of course there was a lot of bleed but thats ok in this kind of setting.

Later I thought I'd try to get used to Reaper's "control" dialog box - accesible by a right click on that thong bikini-wide strip between the fader and track name.

Man does that suck lol! Now I'm double sure that this arrangement is the clumsiest I've seen yet in DAW software. Up till now I'd been humming along not using this and now that I tried it I've generated some criticims of an otherwise ideal program (sorry ).

Of course we don't have to use this "control" dialog box which is one of the great things about Reaper. However, now that I know about it, I think Reaper would be far better off with a track inspector for those of us that hate to pinpoint a thin strip and right click on it!

It would just be a harmless and optional channel-strip-like box that could be docked or floating. I don't see how anyone could possibly object to this because they wouldn't have to use it - just like the "control" dialog box.

With 16 tracks in the mix I described above right-clicking on that narrow strip was a major pain in the butt lol! Before I did everything by the clip and I immediately went back to that.

However for people like me, the best solution is the channel strip "track inspector." Combine that with the up/down arrow keys for selecting tracks and all the bases are covered for a segment of present and potential Reaper users.

Definitely a win-win situation for all!

Whatta ya say, Justin?

Ara

Last edited by chanapar; 08-09-2006 at 12:42 PM.
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #30
olzzon
Human being with feelings
 
olzzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapar
Today I was recording a West African drum troupe and I miked each of the 12 drummers. I also used a pair of inexpensive omni measurement mics to capture the "air" during the performance. Of course there was a lot of bleed but thats ok in this kind of setting.

Later I thought I'd try to get used to Reaper's "control" dialog box - accesible by a right click on that thong bikini-wide strip between the fader and track name.

Man does that suck lol! Now I'm double sure that this arrangement is the clumsiest I've seen yet in DAW software. Up till now I'd been humming along not using this and now that I tried it I've generated some criticims of an otherwise ideal program (sorry ).

Of course we don't have to use this "control" dialog box which is one of the great things about Reaper. However, now that I know about it, I think Reaper would be far better off with a track inspector for those of us that hate to pinpoint a thin strip and right click on it!

It would just be a harmless and optional channel-strip-like box that could be docked or floating. I don't see how anyone could possibly object to this because they wouldn't have to use it - just like the "control" dialog box.

With 16 tracks in the mix I described above right-clicking on that narrow strip was a major pain in the butt lol! Before I did everything by the clip and I immediately went back to that.

However for people like me, the best solution is the channel strip "track inspector." Combine that with the up/down arrow keys for selecting tracks and all the bases are covered for a segment of present and potential Reaper users.

Definitely a win-win situation for all!

Whatta ya say, Justin?

Ara
I just did a couple of mix with 40 tracks. And it works fine for me. Yes, i think this part can be improved, but thereīs so many things that can be improved and for me itīs not the most important.

Iīve done alot of work in all sorts of DAWīs and i havenīt found the complete solution yet, to a fast way.

One of my favorites is the O2R faders, that can flip between, Ch fader, Aux fader, Etc. This is so nice bacuse you have fast acces to everything. Havenīt seen it in a DAW yet.
My dream would be something like that.
So that when in the Mixer view, you have shortcuts to different sends and when you press E.G "1" all the faders change to Channel fader and "2" all faders change to Send 1 etc.
But as i said, i havenīt thought this completely through.
But i really think that we should, stay calm, and find a solution that better than the others.
Ofcause this is just my opinion.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. Thatīs why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Kasper Olsson Hans
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #31
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
I just did a couple of mix with 40 tracks. And it works fine for me. Yes, i think this part can be improved, but thereīs so many things that can be improved and for me itīs not the most important.

Iīve done alot of work in all sorts of DAWīs and i havenīt found the complete solution yet, to a fast way.

One of my favorites is the O2R faders, that can flip between, Ch fader, Aux fader, Etc. This is so nice bacuse you have fast acces to everything. Havenīt seen it in a DAW yet.
My dream would be something like that.
So that when in the Mixer view, you have shortcuts to different sends and when you press E.G "1" all the faders change to Channel fader and "2" all faders change to Send 1 etc.
But as i said, i havenīt thought this completely through.
But i really think that we should, stay calm, and find a solution that better than the others.
Ofcause this is just my opinion.

If it (the control panel/right click/thin strip) works for you thats good. I'm sure it works for others and I'm not suggesting it be removed since its use is already optional.

About the 02R, good DAW softwares, especially Reaper, are why I never considered (nor will be) using a digital mixer. Reaper suits me particularly well because of the way it handles audio.

As Reaper stands now, I think it needs very few improvements (except possibly in midi editing). I started this thread as a feature request because to me a simple floating/dockable channel strip/track inspector would save time and effort working with the program - not that isn't good already.

I've used and tried a lot of DAWs as well - everything from SAW to Pyramix to N-track lol! I have found a complete solution for audio work with Reaper and it is very very fast for me One or two little optional additions would make things not only faster but, more pleasant.

Ara

ps - and the other 2 mini feature modifications - up/down arrow keys for selecting tracks and ability to stretch tracks over the TCP. sometimes the simplest things make life more pleasant.
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #32
olzzon
Human being with feelings
 
olzzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapar
If it (the control panel/right click/thin strip) works for you thats good. I'm sure it works for others and I'm not suggesting it be removed since its use is already optional.

About the 02R, good DAW softwares, especially Reaper, are why I never considered (nor will be) using a digital mixer. Reaper suits me particularly well because of the way it handles audio.

As Reaper stands now, I think it needs very few improvements (except possibly in midi editing). I started this thread as a feature request because to me a simple floating/dockable channel strip/track inspector would save time and effort working with the program - not that isn't good already.
Iīm not using a digital mixer either, but iīve worked on many different setups in different places, and that why iīve worked on a 02R.
I just wanted to bring in another solution, that has something very efficient to it.
I mean, here we have a chance to bring the DAW a little further, so thatīs why i tried to express my thoughts.
And yes a channelstrip has itīs places, and if you read some of the older posts, there has been alot about it, also to include adjustments of you favorite plugins in it.
I think there will come some great improvements here.

And when i say it works, i just means that itīs okay as is (lots of right clicking), but could easily be improved, either by a channelstrip or as in Protools and other with more control on the Trackpanel.

But as i say. If some other great ideas comes up, iīm really open to it. Somehow a thing isnīt the best, just because every one uses it.

And there are so many other corners that need to be fixed too.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. Thatīs why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Kasper Olsson Hans
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #33
doclike
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 262
Default

According to the Scrollbar on the left-side.

I think it would be no problem at all to add this in the GUI menu.
"locate scrollbar left/right".

greetz doc, who is waiting for: Coloured clips
red coloured record armed clips, FX lock (temp) for better performance, Audio metronome, select all clips in folder, bounce track, combine selected items,...

one more to go: apply fx renderung behaviour. Right now it adds a fade-in to the splitted clips.

Last edited by doclike; 08-09-2006 at 02:14 PM.
doclike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #34
Art Evans
Mortal
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,656
Default

Quote:
Later I thought I'd try to get used to Reaper's "control" dialog box - accesible by a right click on that thong bikini-wide strip between the fader and track name....

.....I think Reaper would be far better off with a track inspector for those of us that hate to pinpoint a thin strip and right click on it!
Eh? Do you mean the control dialog you get when you right click on the fader in the track control panel or the mixer? I don't get this "thin strip" thing.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #35
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
Iīm not using a digital mixer either, but iīve worked on many different setups in different places, and that why iīve worked on a 02R.
I just wanted to bring in another solution, that has something very efficient to it.
I mean, here we have a chance to bring the DAW a little further, so thatīs why i tried to express my thoughts.
And yes a channelstrip has itīs places, and if you read some of the older posts, there has been alot about it, also to include adjustments of you favorite plugins in it.
I think there will come some great improvements here.

And when i say it works, i just means that itīs okay as is (lots of right clicking), but could easily be improved, either by a channelstrip or as in Protools and other with more control on the Trackpanel.

But as i say. If some other great ideas comes up, iīm really open to it. Somehow a thing isnīt the best, just because every one uses it.

And there are so many other corners that need to be fixed too.

If there's a less tedious, more natural way to handle everday tasks then I'm all for it. In this case it can be handled many ways. I think, however, there are some obvious constraints and keeping clutter to a minimum while maximizing space for tracks is a prime example. I don't think we'll be seeing any truly great ideas arising out of DAW GUI design. Even programs like Traction illustrate that the constraints impose limits on what can be done and allow for results that are little more than variations on the same theme.

I'm not trying to flatter Justin, but so far I think his approach is successful in general. Offering at least several options without imposing any one of them on us has been his ticket to success for Reaper. That and keeping the work space as open as possible appear to be the guiding principles that make Reaper what its become.

My suggestions come pretty much from the same place as yours - lots of experience in lots of different circumstances testing lots of different possibilities. In my opinion the channel strip/track inspector would round off the one and only corner that feels rough to me after many weeks of using Repear. No doubt others will have differing opinions and concerns, though I'm sure there are more than several that would agree with me.

Ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #36
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Eh? Do you mean the control dialog you get when you right click on the fader in the track control panel or the mixer? I don't get this "thin strip" thing.
Ok lol! I wasn't aware of that, so the "thin strip" thing is wider than what I thought it was lol! Instead of a thong bikini its more like the classic bikini.

Its still a pretty narrow area to click on and all that pointing and clicking really got to me. I was better off not knowing about it. Thats why I thought it was so obvious to request a channel strip/track inspector - along with arrow keys for scrolling through the track list.

Maybe that idea isn't popular here but it would most surely work for me and at least a few others I assume. Like I mentioned in the previous post, its highly unlikely we'll see any innovation in this area of DAW GUI design, so a floating channel strip seems like a practical, if utilitarian way to keep the track information easily accessible.

Ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #37
olzzon
Human being with feelings
 
olzzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 706
Default

As we have two hands, i think it could be possible with some sort of shortcuts, to changing the view. Hereīs what i did in SAW before i had the full version:

In SawStudio Lite, the channelstrip is Huge so you have to scroll alot. I made some shortcuts with "autohotkey.com", so that win+1 was first part of the ch.strip win+2 the aux, win+3 the comp, win+4 was the Eq etc. This was actually faster than the Full channelstrip view i later got in Saw full, because i had everything on one screen, instead of having to change view all the time. Which also was the problem in Nuendo, that if you donīt have two screens, youīll like end up opening and closing the channelwindow all the time. And in nuendo you donīt have the ESC key as far as i remember.

If we had different views (with shortcuts) for the track control panel or on a channelstrip, it would be possible to have fast acces to everything on the track, without having a huge channelstrip.

If you look at reapers routing possibilities, itīs possible to have alot of sends on every channel, and this can make a channelstrip, enormous.

Oh and yeah, your right that if there will come a channel strip we will need a shortcut for changing tracks. Which was the start of the thread.

What i mean is just that iīll be working a little more, before i settle on my oppinion on this.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound. Thatīs why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Kasper Olsson Hans
olzzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #38
chanapar
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
If we had different views (with shortcuts) for the track control panel or on a channelstrip, it would be possible to have fast acces to everything on the track, without having a huge channelstrip.

If you look at reapers routing possibilities, itīs possible to have alot of sends on every channel, and this can make a channelstrip, enormous.

Oh and yeah, your right that if there will come a channel strip we will need a shortcut for changing tracks. Which was the start of the thread.

What i mean is just that iīll be working a little more, before i settle on my oppinion on this.
I like your idea and agree that if employed a channel strip could potentially become large enough to require some form of navigation to access all of it, though I think the amount of routing required to reach that point would be extreme and uncommon. It would seem obvious that the channel strip generate a scroll bar at some point like the mixer.

My opinion on this issue is pretty much settled because I've given it a lot of thought while using the program and abstractly. There aren't many options and the channel strip option fits very nicely with the overall Reaper concept. I dig it!

Ara
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.