Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Stephen Michael W
Human being with feelings

Default ReaXComp Modification Q/help

Hello,

Simple question, with hopefully a simple answer:

Is there a way I can edit ReaXComp so that when any band I have active is triggered/compressing it compresses the whole spectrum, not just that designated frequency band?

A normal compressor is triggered whenever the amplitude of a track passes a threshold, but I'd like to add a curve to its threshold in relation to pitch. For example, this hypothetical compressor will be triggered when a 2500Hz signal passes -18db, but will not be triggered with a 80Hz signal at the same amplitude, and lets say the 80Hz signal will trigger the compressor once it passes -6db. Anytime the compressor is trigger it lowers the volume of the entire signal regardless of pitch/frequency band, but it takes a higher or lower amplitude in order to be triggered depending on the pitch of the signal running through it.

I have a special preset I made to assist me in eq adjustments, but I have thought of a new use for it, but only if the above modification is possible.

Thank you a million times, who ever has the answer. <3
Stephen Michael W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #2
jrk

I don't know if there's an easy way to do this with ReaXComp, but this kind of thing is trivial with ReaComp - that's what the Sidechain filters are for. You might want to set up multiple instances if you need to detect more than one band. Alternatively, use an EQ of your choice on the sidechain.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
Stephen Michael W

not a bad plan, handful of sidechains instead. Though, are you saying that the High and Low Cut filters at the bottom of ReaComp control what the compressor ignores?
Prolly a novice questions, but . . . I sorta am :/

Thanks!

More feedback is appreciated from whom ever
Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Stephen Michael W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
I don't know if there's an easy way to do this with ReaXComp, but this kind of thing is trivial with ReaComp - that's what the Sidechain filters are for. You might want to set up multiple instances if you need to detect more than one band. Alternatively, use an EQ of your choice on the sidechain.
Aayyee, again this was a great suggestion. It seems to be working how i want it to by side chaining through several compressors that are listening to the bands I want, Thanks!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
jrk

Glad it's working for you. Unless you tell it otherwise, the ReaComp "sidechain" just carries the input, so the filters allow you to control what bit of the input the detector will respond to. With a bit of routing, it's possible to use any EQ you want on the sidechain (so you're not just limited to the lo pass / low pass that ReaComp provides).