Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default Misfit Sorbet

Discovered the band Omnia Opera the other day, it is one of those late 80s-90s spaced out British festival bands. They seem to like the same stuff I do, echoes, samples, synth pads, kinda slapdash guitar playing. Seriously some pieces of theirs are perfect.

I'm starting to think I'm unknowingly a hippie being extremely late to the party. Well I hate that crystal healing reiki namaste bollocks anyway. Here's a new tune I made:

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/misfit-sorbet

Intro sample from 50s TV show Tales of Tomorrow (or something like that), plus some other assorted barely audible background samples, including subliminal recording of a downstair neighbour having annoyingly howling laughter.

(but seriously Omnia Opera has some wonderful tunes, I'm delighted)

Last edited by zeekat; 05-03-2017 at 11:04 AM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Nizhny Tagil

That's a sick bassline. You should do a dub album with bass like that and all those echoes. And samples of prehistoric TV.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
zeekat

Thanks! Blistered bass finger paid off, then.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Nizhny Tagil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Thanks! Blistered bass finger paid off, then.
Sometimes picked bass works even better for dub-ish stuff, distorted especially. So I don't know about that , you could have spared yourself the blistering.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
morgon

Well done, you always generate good atmosphere with your tracks, special mention for where the ld gtr re-enters at around 1.51
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
sammydix

Hitting some good prog territory in this one. Lovin the drums, and the whole ending sequence had me hooked.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizhny Tagil View Post
Sometimes picked bass works even better for dub-ish stuff, distorted especially. So I don't know about that , you could have spared yourself the blistering.
It actually had a version with picked bassline. But somehow I always get back to fingered (hurr) bass, picking hurts my hand and I'm pretty bad at muting unneeded noises while picking. IMO weird how often picking is considered the "easy way".

I actually had a strong plan to use nostalgic old local TV samples, this is a topic for some deep research though, It's pretty easy to look like you're doing political statement with this shit here and I'm not joining those armchair politics dullards for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Hitting some good prog territory in this one. Lovin the drums, and the whole ending sequence had me hooked.
That's another thing I have in common with them belated hippies, they have the best late song bits and outros!

Last edited by zeekat; 05-03-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:55 AM   #8
Nizhny Tagil

Quote:
It actually had a version with picked bassline. But somehow I always get back to fingered (hurr) bass, picking hurts my hand and I'm pretty bad at muting unneeded noises while picking. IMO weird how often picking is considered the "easy way".

I actually had a strong plan to use nostalgic old local TV samples, this is a topic for some deep research though, It's pretty easy to look like you're doing political statement with this shit here and I'm not joining those armchair politics dullards for sure.
Maybe you're right, it's different than picking with a guitar.
You're right about speech samples, they always seem to make a philosophical point, somehow. But there's something to be said about a show host politely delivering some point over a deep bassline and trippy echoes. It sounds disturbing more than political to me.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Animal Rescue

Man, wicked cool track! Be proud of that one.
Animal Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #10
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Rescue View Post
Man, wicked cool track! Be proud of that one.
I'm normally am, for about 10 minutes, then someone from my soundcloud contacts uploads something of theirs which makes mine sound like a dull piece of shit. Need to start following less skilled people.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 AM   #11
Animal Rescue

Quote:
I'm normally am, for about 10 minutes, then someone from my soundcloud contacts uploads something of theirs which makes mine sound like a dull piece of shit. Need to start following less skilled people.
Don't let that press upon your head or ruin your enjoyment in your music. Just have fun, let it flow and what comes out is art unique to you.
Animal Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
zeekat

I needed to legitimize the recently soldered guitar upgrade but didn't want to go through the creative pains of composing just to prove the thing works, so re-learned the tune from the first post and covered myself. It hurt too, I remember completely nothing of making it(aside of using baritone tuning, but there were like two notes below E std).

It's in usual unedited unpolished turd style, which sounds reasonably close to the original recording. Yay I'm authentic.

and here's the guitar, humbuckerized. Made me produce above average amount of crappy youtube clips this year, I think I'll stop now.

BTW does anyone have problem with B bass string being seriously louder than the rest? Needs a lot of compressing.

Last edited by zeekat; 11-30-2018 at 12:57 AM.