Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
(tuesday)
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER + groove agent one?

i've heard of some people using cubase's groove agent one (and/or beat designer) together with REAPER.

i've seen demos of both programs and i really like their workflow, but i have to ask:

how is it possible to make these work together? is it possible to get VSTs of these as plugins, or do you have to run cubase simultaneously and rewire the audio?
(tuesday) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by (tuesday) View Post
how is it possible to make these work together? is it possible to get VSTs of these as plugins,
As far as I know it's not possible. GAO is not only proprietary to Cubase, it's a VST3 plugin and Reaper doesn't support those. Beat designer is a midi plugin that's compiled into the Cubase *.exe file so that's also a no-go outside of Cubase.

Quote:
or do you have to run cubase simultaneously and rewire the audio?
Cubase doesn't run as a rewire slave so that wouldn't work either unless you slave Reaper to Cubase.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
(tuesday)

weird. i'm certain i've heard of people using them together. let me see if i can track down the thread.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Lawrence

Quote:
weird. i'm certain i've heard of people using them together. let me see if i can track down the thread.
If so it's probably a crack of some kind. Perhaps GAO was VST 2.x at some point in the past, I don't recall, but I do know Cubase's main plugs don't legally work anywhere but Cubase even though a few of it's utility plugs will... and that the current GAO is (all of the core Cubase plugs are) VST 3.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
(tuesday)

hmm... i've found some of the threads in question, but they only talk about "groove agent", not necessarily groove agent ONE. perhaps they're referring to GA2 or 3 which i think can be purchased separately as VSTs.

too bad.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Lawrence

Yeah, they're probably talking about the retail version which is just a third party plugin. Below are most of the plugs from Cubase that can be loaded and used elsewhere. The test generator plug is the only one I actually ever use in other hosts. It's handy.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
(tuesday)

grungelizer huh?
sounds like my kinda plugin!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Lawrence

Here is the best freebie plug Steiny has to offer. I still use it on my master bus or drum bus from time to time.

Magneto

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Axonaut

Quote:
hmm... i've found some of the threads in question, but they only talk about "groove agent", not necessarily groove agent ONE. perhaps they're referring to GA2 or 3 which i think can be purchased separately as VSTs.

Yes, there actually was a product called 'Groove Agent', the predecessor of GA2 and 3, with a similar interface to them. People naturally refer to it as 'Groove Agent 1', but it's very different from Groove Agent One.

It really seems like a dumb marketing-driven idea: re-using the same name for a different product, and causing endless confusion.
Axonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
chrisharbin

Oh man......like total memories dude.........

As just stated they are two completely and totally different things.

Groove agent 1 was actually a pretty good program. They went all "dongle" for future releases so I never upgraded...even after I had cubey. I think if you have access to GA1 it's pretty limited. It had the old school way of getting the midi out but it was fun for the time.

Groove agent ONE is a built in cubey drum sound program. (I might be wrong but it wasn't really "groove oriented" was it??) It's great for dropping in your own samples and stuff. It wasn't THAT big a deal though.....
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
merdave

Megneto doesn't work with Reaper X64 - just tried it.
merdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
(tuesday)

re: magneto, i haven't tried it, but as far as tape emulation plugins go i use ferox on pretty much every track ever.

it was this video that convinced me that i wanted to use groove agent one and beat designer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kzmCZVKSKg

which i guess is the groove agent ONE, not the original groove agent. (ugh).
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
jbegan

Default Groove Agent 2 and Reaper

Just wanted to say that Groove Agent 2 (The one with the freaking Dongle..Drives me crazy! I hate em!) does work with Reaper 4. The program is quite slick really. You pick a pattern (Rock, samba..etc) and use a slider to vary the pattern. You can also go half beat, randomize and add fills or strikes. I normally find a pattern i like, run the slider around till I focus on a workable style and then record while it plays. When I've laid down my first track (normally rhythm guitar), I go back and clock on 'Record to track'. It's here that you can add variations that make the drumming more human. As it plays and I hit a break, I'll click 'add fill' which it does automatically at the right time. When I come to a chorus, I'll add a fill, then slide the groove up or down, or sometimes shift from 1/2 tempo to full tempo' to add interest. In this way, you get a lot of variety in the drumming. When it's complete, I'll go back and listen to it and open up the drum track editor to add or delete whatever.
jbegan is offline   Reply With Quote