Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
chandso
Human being with feelings

Default Have to constantly close and restart

Why do I have to close and restart Reaper so often? It's quite frustrating, Occasionally, I can just pull usb to my Tascam interface, and re-plug it in, and Reaper will resume playing. More often though, I have to save/close my project and relaunch the program, sometimes 2 or 3 times before it behaves correctly!

Problem behavior is this: Project plays along fine, but then for no apparent reason, will stop playing or start skipping.

My projects are very small, 2 to 5 tracks, using only built-in Reaper effects. Computer is somewhat old Windows 10 laptop, but my understanding is that Reaper has a very light footprint, so I don't see why computer would be the problem.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
chandso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
domzy

does this only happen with your tascam interface, what happens when you just use onboard sound?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
chandso

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
does this only happen with your tascam interface, what happens when you just use onboard sound?
Do you mean try with laptop soundcard? I'll try that and get back.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Lokasenna

The first thing to check is that your interface is properly set up. At the top-right corner of the main window, what does the big long string of text say?
Old 09-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
domzy

yeah, try without the external interface - my guess is that the problem lies there - perhaps the drivers or the actual USB cable / port or maybe a USB setting in windows - i doubt that Reaper is directly responsible
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandso View Post
Why do I have to close and restart Reaper so often? It's quite frustrating, Occasionally, I can just pull usb to my Tascam interface, and re-plug it in, and Reaper will resume playing. More often though, I have to save/close my project and relaunch the program, sometimes 2 or 3 times before it behaves correctly!

Problem behavior is this: Project plays along fine, but then for no apparent reason, will stop playing or start skipping.

My projects are very small, 2 to 5 tracks, using only built-in Reaper effects. Computer is somewhat old Windows 10 laptop, but my understanding is that Reaper has a very light footprint, so I don't see why computer would be the problem.

Any ideas???

Thanks!
Some other audio using app on your system is making requests to your audio interface. And there's maybe a sample rate conflict between them. Reaper is getting disconnected.

To verify:
Next time instead of closing and relaunching Reaper, open Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page and select your interface again. Select it again from the dropdown menu even though it already appears selected. The Apply butten will then un-grey. Click it.

That forces a request to your connected audio interface from Reaper. If that worked... that was it. Look for some other app or service that might be making requests to your connected audio interface... and have it stop doing that. Might be as simple as you had an internet browser open.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
suchatravesty

I have a Tascam us 16x08. They have tons of known issues with PC, especially Windows 10. At one point it would freeze up my entire machine until I would pull the USB cable.

I got so fed up with it that I reverted my newest machine back to Win 7. It is workable in Win 7 but still doesn't behave the way it should all the time. Tascam hasn't done very well with keeping up with Windows updates apparently.

My interface works fine for me on Mac OS, which is frustrating since that's not what I have for my dedicated recording machine.

That being said, try what serr said. It could be some other weird issue causing your problem.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
chandso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The first thing to check is that your interface is properly set up. At the top-right corner of the main window, what does the big long string of text say?
Main window of Reaper? All I see there is "44.1KHZ"
Old 09-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
chandso

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
yeah, try without the external interface - my guess is that the problem lies there - perhaps the drivers or the actual USB cable / port or maybe a USB setting in windows - i doubt that Reaper is directly responsible
Inital testing does seem to do better with internal soundcard. Any parameters to check in regards to Tascam interface?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
chandso

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Some other audio using app on your system is making requests to your audio interface. And there's maybe a sample rate conflict between them. Reaper is getting disconnected.

To verify:
Next time instead of closing and relaunching Reaper, open Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page and select your interface again. Select it again from the dropdown menu even though it already appears selected. The Apply butten will then un-grey. Click it.

That forces a request to your connected audio interface from Reaper. If that worked... that was it. Look for some other app or service that might be making requests to your connected audio interface... and have it stop doing that. Might be as simple as you had an internet browser open.
No other audio apps running, but will try what you say next time this happens.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
Lokasenna

Quote:
Main window of Reaper? All I see there is "44.1KHZ"
Um... then I don't think you've set your interface up at all. Click on it and post a screenshot of the window it opens?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
chandso

Default serr > reset

Thank you serr, yes the reset under "device" did work. That's cool, but I don't see any other program making calls to my sound device.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
serr

OS sound fx?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
chandso

Quote:
Thank you serr, yes the reset under "device" did work. That's cool, but I don't see any other program making calls to my sound device.
Oops, worked first time, but not again.