Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Jasipi
Human being with feelings

Default How to open Mp4 video in Reaper?

I keep reading things about needing VLC or something but not how to use it with Reaper. I have Reaper and i have VLC, but now what? Drag'n'drop yields "could not import 1 of 1" and Open Media File gets an item that is offline.

I don't want to edit video or anything, i just want to use Reaper to put music to a film and that is all maybe using all that frames/tempo sync type of features. I've never worked with video before.

Thanks y'alls.
Jasipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Fabian

Check in Preferences > Video/REX/Misc that Reaper sees VLC. You click the "Show available decoder information" button. It should show something like this (I have Reaper portable install in P:\Reaper5):

Code:
Available decoder information:

========== VLC ==========
VLC v3.0.x
Loaded from: P:\REAPER5\VLC

========== ffmpeg/libav ==========
ffmpeg/libav DLL decoder v57.107.100

Loaded from: P:\REAPER5\Plugins\avcodec-57.dll
ffmpeg/libav configuration:

<and more>
Note that it is easy to download and install the 32-bit version VLC, which will not work with the 64-bit Reaper. And it was a bit tricky (at least when I did it last) to find the 64-bit version of VLC; but if you have 64-bit Reaper you must have the 64-bit VLC.

See here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=168734
Old 10-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
Jasipi

Both Reaper and VLC are 64bit. Reaper says that the install path is not found, but it lists the correct install path. Actually it lists 2: HDD Programs/VLC and HDD Programs/REAPER/VLC. The former being the correct path i guess.

Could it have something to do with having installed VLC on a HDD that is not my C drive?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasipi View Post
Both Reaper and VLC are 64bit. Reaper says that the install path is not found, but it lists the correct install path. Actually it lists 2: HDD Programs/VLC and HDD Programs/REAPER/VLC. The former being the correct path i guess.

Could it have something to do with having installed VLC on a HDD that is not my C drive?
Well... guessing wont help much
You have to check so you know for sure where VLC is installed. Also, maybe if you copy the exact text and put it here, similar to what I did above, it might be easier to figure something out.

Maybe the fact that there are two locations is the problem? Why would there be two locations for VLC?

What is "HDD"? Is it a detachable hard drive?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
Jasipi

My OS is on a small M2 drive so i try not to put anything on it unless it's completely necessary. HDD Programs is where i install my programs on an SATA III HDD. I haven't really had problems doing this so far over the years.

Available decoder information:

========== VLC ==========
VLC install path not found, install VLC 2.1.x-3.0.x
Search paths:
G:\HDD Programs\Reaper\VLC
G:\HDD Programs\VLC

So HDD Programs\Reaper\VLC doesn't exist, but HDD Programs\VLC does and is the install location of the program where i chose to install in during the installation process. I had a quick squiz through C drive program files and all but didn't really see anything relating to Reaper or VLC

VLC by the way i installed just today as i was trying to do this so it is the latest 64bit version you find on the website download page.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
Jasipi

Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping to submit a piece for a competition that ends in a few days so i want to get it working by then.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
rainydayshirts

It might be easier to download FFMPEG and add it to your PATH. This works well for me. Might be the easiest for your setup, as it wont require you to install anything to anywhere you don't want. Also, easy updates.

Homepage
rainydayshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Jasipi

Well, it works now. No idea what i did. :s

Thanks for trying to help mateys