Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #1
giankam
Human being with feelings

Default CPU switching from 10% to over 100%.

Hi,
I don't understand why my RT CPU meter is stable at rough 10% and when I activate a plug that shouldn't be super CPU hog the CPU jumps to over 100% and the whole system crackles.
Please any comments on this issue?
Thanks
giankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 AM   #2
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by giankam View Post
Hi,
I don't understand why my RT CPU meter is stable at rough 10% and when I activate a plug that shouldn't be super CPU hog the CPU jumps to over 100% and the whole system crackles.
Please any comments on this issue?
Thanks
bottlenecking on a harddrive? - also any latency comp going on?
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
giankam

Harddrive is ssd so it should be quick enough.
It happens also with just one or 2 tracks.
I send the tracks to a group.

What latency comp do you mean?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
daverich

Quote:
Harddrive is ssd so it should be quick enough.
It happens also with just one or 2 tracks.
I send the tracks to a group.

What latency comp do you mean?
are you adding/remove a plugin which introduces latency by design? - I could see that causing a hiccup.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:40 AM   #5
giankam

I have UAD and Acustica plugs. how should I fix the latency issue? I'm already using the highest buffer of my RME UFX+
Old 12-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #6
giankam

I see that this issue happens also when I activate UAD plugs which in theory shouldn't require any CPU... that's weird
Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #7
Jack Winter

Keep in mind that RT CPU really is a measure of the execution delay for the fx on a track. That is to say there is a deadline given by buffersize / samplerate, 100% RT CPU really means that it takes longer to calculate the FX than what is available. So at 100% you start getting crackles as the audio needed hasn't been calculated yet. Things to try, move the FX away from the masterbus, don't rec arm tracks that don't need it, increase buffersize, get a faster cpu, etc.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
Dr Bob

What Jack says ...

Simple case if you don' thave a complex routing setup already ...

Create a new track and make it TRACK 1 in front of all your other tracks - and call it MY MASTER

Make another track at end of all your tracks and call it END MASTER.

Now - make the MY MASTER track a folder track (parent) and make the END MASTER track the last track in the folder.

Put all the FX you had on the Reaper Master track onto the new MY MASTER track, and remove all the FX from the Reaper Master track.

Having FX on the Reaper Master can unduly affect the RT Cpu usage, whereas on a "normal" track (or folder track), it can farm out the jobs to other cpus.

If you have a complicated setup of folders and busses already, then you still need to make the MY MASTER track to hold the master fx, biut then route the tracks and busses and parent folders to this new Master track, anbd also make sure that none of these re-routed tracks have a send to the Reaper Master track (else you will get the track outputs doubled up!)

Hope this helps.

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
giankam

Thanks Bob,

I don't understand the purpose of the END master track. Should it be empty?

FYI My Master track has already no FX.

I also don't understand why I have issues activating UAD plugs that in theory have nothing to do with the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
What Jack says ...

Simple case if you don' thave a complex routing setup already ...

Create a new track and make it TRACK 1 in front of all your other tracks - and call it MY MASTER

Make another track at end of all your tracks and call it END MASTER.

Now - make the MY MASTER track a folder track (parent) and make the END MASTER track the last track in the folder.

Put all the FX you had on the Reaper Master track onto the new MY MASTER track, and remove all the FX from the Reaper Master track.

Having FX on the Reaper Master can unduly affect the RT Cpu usage, whereas on a "normal" track (or folder track), it can farm out the jobs to other cpus.

If you have a complicated setup of folders and busses already, then you still need to make the MY MASTER track to hold the master fx, biut then route the tracks and busses and parent folders to this new Master track, anbd also make sure that none of these re-routed tracks have a send to the Reaper Master track (else you will get the track outputs doubled up!)

Hope this helps.

dB
Old 12-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #10
Jack Winter

Quote:
I also don't understand why I have issues activating UAD plugs that in theory have nothing to do with the CPU.
I don't know about UAD (as I've never used them). What buffersize/samplerate are you working? Do you have any recarmed tracks?
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #11
giankam

No Rec armed track (only 1 side chain track). Working at 4096 samples, 96Khz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I don't know about UAD (as I've never used them). What buffersize/samplerate are you working? Do you have any recarmed tracks?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #12
ivansc

Like they already said, DONT put plugins on the master track, especially lots of them. Think about what you are doing as though it were a real desk you were using & you should see it makes sense not to do this.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #13
giankam

As already said I don't have any plugs in the master tracks.

It's just a simple project with 2 Acustica plugs a couple of ozone 8 and a numbers of UAD plugs.
I have a intel 6 cores 3.2Ghz and 32GB ram. is there maybe a different setting I should try with Reaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Like they already said, DONT put plugins on the master track, especially lots of them. Think about what you are doing as though it were a real desk you were using & you should see it makes sense not to do this.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
giankam

I've just recreated the same project in Cubase 9.5 and it works perfectly.
Can anybody help me out with these reaper settings? I want to use reaper!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
daverich

Quote:
No Rec armed track (only 1 side chain track). Working at 4096 samples, 96Khz.
wow that's waaay high,- try 256 or 512 samples.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #16
serr

UA plugins are not compatible with Reaper's anticipative fx processing feature in my experience. For any track you insert a UA plugin on, disable AfxP for just that track. Leave AfxP enabled globally in preferences!

Make sure your connected audio interface's driver supports that large block size. You can cross the line on the other size with a value larger than supported and now use more CPU cycles to manage the buffering. Usually a block size of 1024 samples is the max size supported. I understand wanting to set it for the max size for mixing work - you're doing that right.

Turn hyperthreading off. Reaper wants to manage CPU threads itself. Further, on Reaper's Preferences/Audio/Buffering page, set the number of audio processing threads to the physical number of CPU cores in your system. Hyperthreading on + audio threads set to 1 gives overall lower CPU use but you get spikes in single cores that shut you down. Hyperthreading off + using all CPU cores gives you a baseline larger CPU use but no more isolated spikes and significantly more headroom.

Finally, if you have a few plugins inserted in a single track that combined need a very large PDC, PDC can crash. (To be fair, I'm not certain if my experience with this had a root cause of a buggy plugin or pushing PDC beyond what it was intended to handle.) You can split plugins up across multiple tracks to work around this. Just daisy chain route to an additional track.

Last edited by serr; 12-07-2017 at 09:09 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
ivansc

Quote:
As already said I don't have any plugs in the master tracks.

It's just a simple project with 2 Acustica plugs a couple of ozone 8 and a numbers of UAD plugs.
I have a intel 6 cores 3.2Ghz and 32GB ram. is there maybe a different setting I should try with Reaper?
Serves me right for glossing over a thread - sorry.
Back to basics. You mention Acustica, known cpu hogs in my experience.
Care to tell us exactly what plugins you are instantiating that raise the cpu % so massively?
Also from my experience with a couple of RME audio MIDI interfaces, you should never need to go that high on your ASIO buffer. Even my little Babyface will run 64 all day - HDSP9652 runs 32 with large track counts and a bunch of VSTi. I also run two UAD-1 card with no issues and pretty much no additional load or extra latency.
Just to cover all bases, have you tried downloading and running resplendence.com's latency checker with reaper running?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
karbomusic

Are we sure this isn't a denormaling issue?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
Jack Winter

I've played a little bit with Nebula. I must say that it uses a lot of cpu, and it also has quite high execution latency. Also keep in mind that, if you have all the FX in a chain then all of it has to be computed on just one cpu, as each plugin must calculate the dsp sequentially.

That said if it works in cubase but not in reaper, then something's off... Maybe try the AFXP mentioned earlier.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
giankam

I'll try to disable the Afxp and see how it works. I tried with lower buffer samples but no luck. What really surprises me is that I can't get Reaper to perform as Cubase since one of the reasons I did the move was Reaper's CPU performance.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #21
Fabian

Sounds like what karbo said, a denormalizing issue. Does the CPU% spike when this plugin is enabled even with no audio through it? Try putting something like GNormal in front of it, see if that helps.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
giankam

Bear with me, what's GNormal and where can I find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Sounds like what karbo said, a denormalizing issue. Does the CPU% spike when this plugin is enabled even with no audio through it? Try putting something like GNormal in front of it, see if that helps.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #23
heda

maybe related to this issue? it will be fixed soon
PDC on folder-tracks disables multi-threading (test file included)
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #24
Fabian

Quote:
Bear with me, what's GNormal and where can I find it?
http://www.gvst.co.uk/gnormal.htm
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
serr

Quote:
No... it's not April 1st...
Old 12-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #26
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
No... it's not April 1st...
I did not get that... It is true, of course, but I didn't get why it should be pointed out.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #27
giankam

I tried all that has been recommended with no luck.

you can see here a basic project with just a bunch of plugs playing ok (song playing):

When I activate 3 Uad plugs the CPU explodes (song playing).

here my reaper settings (RME UFX+ 1024 samples 96Khz) (song on pause):

PS. Thank you Judders

Last edited by giankam; 12-08-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #28
Judders

Quote:
I did not get that... It is true, of course, but I didn't get why it should be pointed out.
April Fool's Day.

I believe he's saying that plugin, and the reason for it existing, is bollocks.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #29
Judders

Quote:
How can I copy the pics to my post?
Put the tag [img] before the link, and [/img] after it. Or photo bucket should have a way of copying tags like that so you can just paste the link and the pics show up.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
April Fool's Day.

I believe he's saying that plugin, and the reason for it existing, is bollocks.
It's because he is unaware of what it does and like you say probably thinks it was a joke and one of those do nothing plugs to fool audiophiles. Now off to buy a jar of sliced applesauce and a can of striped spray paint.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #31
serr

Still waiting for the punchline...

Homeopathic audio effects!

The CPU processes floating point math at different speeds depending on what the numbers input to it were?! Sure. Just like this guy I talked to once swears he can tell if a wav file was ever zipped! (Same exact set of ones and zeros that nulled with the original. He could tell. He told me so.)

If this was something real that someone played telephone game with, what was the original story that got this twisted?

If your CPU starts failing floating point operations your computer would just kernel panic if it did anything.

Back to misbehaving plugins...
Giankam, did you try disabling AfxP just on the track? (NOT globally in preferences.) How about the other tips?

What is the largest PDC you see on any track?

You can also try controlling the sample rate and block size for the connected audio interface from outside Reaper. (Uncheck those boxes next to the parameters in Preferences/Audio/Device and use a 3rd party app. Usually your OS audio utility or a control panel app written for the interface.) Reaper gives you these options to deal with all manor of stubborn devices.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #32
karbomusic

Quote:
Still waiting for the punchline...
There isn't one, there is a real problem that eats CPU if no audio is passing and if the plugin developer doesn't take care of it, it pegs CPU when idle. So there is no joke or punchline. I doubt that's the case here but minus an answer, it's very easy to try and rule out.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There isn't one, there is a real problem that eats CPU if no audio is passing and if the plugin developer doesn't take care of it, it pegs CPU when idle. So there is no joke or punchline. I doubt that's the case here but minus an answer, it's very easy to try and rule out.
An argument for engaging the "analogue" hiss button on hardware emulations?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #34
karbomusic

Quote:
An argument for engaging the "analogue" hiss button on hardware emulations?
You know the CLA comps we were discussing in the other thread have that, for the tracks I left it enabled for I had to automate it out because the hiss at the noise floor during sections where the track wasn't active drove me crazy.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #35
Judders

Quote:
You know the CLA comps we were discussing in the other thread have that, for the tracks I left it enabled for I had to automate it out because the hiss at the noise floor during sections where the track wasn't active drove me crazy.
A good excuse to use the gate on your SSL channel strip
Old 12-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #36
karbomusic

Quote:
A good excuse to use the gate on your SSL channel strip
You know that gate did come in handy.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #37
serr

Quote:
Huh... OK sorry, learned a new thing today then!

That article talks about it being a bug for Pentium CPUs in Windows machines circa 2003. Is that beside the point and this is a thing for any/all digital audio handling on any OS/system? Or an odd old Windows bug? (Sorry again, really not trying to start a Mac/Win thing.)

Maybe I need to start watching Activity Monitor a little more closely!
Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #38
karbomusic

Quote:
Huh... OK sorry, learned a new thing today then!

That article talks about it being a bug for Pentium CPUs in Windows machines circa 2003. Is that beside the point and this is a thing for any/all digital audio handling on any OS/system? Or an odd old Windows bug? (Sorry again, really not trying to start a Mac/Win thing.)

Maybe I need to start watching Activity Monitor a little more closely!
It was just a sanity check minus all the digging. I've never had it happen, it's very rare these days actually.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:06 AM   #39
giankam

Hi, any feedback please? 7 native plugs and my system dies.

I hope Reaper can do better than this

Quote:
I tried all that has been recommended with no luck.

you can see here a basic project with just a bunch of plugs playing ok (song playing):

When I activate 3 Uad plugs the CPU explodes (song playing).

here my reaper settings (RME UFX+ 1024 samples 96Khz) (song on pause):

PS. Thank you Judders
Old 12-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #40
ajawamnet

Default CPU pegging on plug in - idle

Just had this happen with the Limiter 6 1.0.2 plugin - at idle it'd just climb.

The author mentioned this was an issue with something in his code/compiler - he released a 1.0.2b that fixed it.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote