Old 10-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #1
Ansio
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
Default no note-off when seeking with note preview on

1. Insert a VSTi, like Diva by u-he
2. Insert a midi item and a long note, leaving some space before the note
3. Play
4. When the note is playing, click the midi editor slightly before the note on the same pitch (triggers a preview and seeks playback).

Note preview and seeking when clicking empty track should be on for this to cause problems.

This doesn't cause a stuck note with all synths, seems like some automatically stop the first note if another of the same pitch is triggered.

I get this in the midi monitor:



EDIT: Reaper 6.38, WIN 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi_activity.jpg (14.8 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Ansio; 10-24-2021 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added Reaper version number
Ansio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings
 
sockmonkey72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Berlin
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansio View Post
1. Insert a VSTi, like Diva by u-he
2. Insert a midi item and a long note, leaving some space before the note
3. Play
4. When the note is playing, click the midi editor slightly before the note on the same pitch (triggers a preview and seeks playback).

Note preview and seeking when clicking empty track should be on for this to cause problems.

This doesn't cause a stuck note with all synths, seems like some automatically stop the first note if another of the same pitch is triggered.

I get this in the midi monitor:



EDIT: Reaper 6.38, WIN 10
You can (probably) solve this by adding a ReaControlMDI plugin to your FX chain. I believe that the devs are aware that there's a problem with note-offs and seek (I've mentioned it once or twice), but AFAIK it's not been acknowledged, and it definitely hasn't been fixed.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Ansio
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
Default

Reacontrolmidi doesn't fix it, it was there monitoring the midi data in the above picture.

My temporary solution is to set seek only to ruler.
Ansio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings
 
sockmonkey72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Berlin
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansio View Post
Reacontrolmidi doesn't fix it, it was there monitoring the midi data in the above picture.

My temporary solution is to set seek only to ruler.
Are you putting it above Diva in the chain?

The other thing to suggest is to enable All Notes Off on seek in the prefs. Audio > MIDI Devices > Reset by: all-notes-off and Reset on: Stop/Stopped Seek if you don't have those turned on yet. Diva may implement All Notes Off (many soft synths do -- many hardware synths do not).
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
Ansio
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Are you putting it above Diva in the chain?

The other thing to suggest is to enable All Notes Off on seek in the prefs. Audio > MIDI Devices > Reset by: all-notes-off and Reset on: Stop/Stopped Seek if you don't have those turned on yet. Diva may implement All Notes Off (many soft synths do -- many hardware synths do not).
Yes it's before diva.

I have reset on stop/stopped seek checked (as well as the rest of checkboxes on that page).
Ansio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #6
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings
 
sockmonkey72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Berlin
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansio View Post
Yes it's before diva.

I have reset on stop/stopped seek checked (as well as the rest of checkboxes on that page).
OK, well I'm out of ideas, thanks for humoring my attempts.

Until/unless the devs choose to comment on, acknowledge or address the problems with seek and note-offs, I guess it is what it is.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:56 AM   #7
Ansio
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
OK, well I'm out of ideas, thanks for humoring my attempts.

Until/unless the devs choose to comment on, acknowledge or address the problems with seek and note-offs, I guess it is what it is.
Thank you for the effort! This is of course a very minor thing, but not the first stuck note I've found related to midi and seeking.
Ansio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.