Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
Cranky Emu
Human being with feelings

Default FX Returns

I have looked through the forum and cannot find what I am after.

Basically I want to know how to direct the output of a plugin, reverb for example to it's own track/channel in Reaper. Say if I want to add rev to a snare, how can I send the output of the rev to another channel - is it possible in real time?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
akademie

Hi Cranky Emu,
1) basicaly you will create separate track with required FX (let's say REVERB) and then you will "send" your source tracks (drums, bass, guitars, vocals etc.) to that track.

2) Or if you would need to use the FX on original source track (e.g. Vocals) and have its output send in parallel with direct signal, then you can use in/ou pins in the plugin window of the effect to reroutre its out to another unused pair (e.g. 3/4). So your track "Vocals" will have 4 outputs (1/2 as main with dry signal to master and 3/4 with wet signal). You then again will create some bus track as return track and will be sending channels 3/4 of the Vocal track to that bus track. (Make sure that the orig. track is set to 4 channels).

The first one is the prefered way.

akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
I have looked through the forum and cannot find what I am after.

Basically I want to know how to direct the output of a plugin, reverb for example to it's own track/channel in Reaper. Say if I want to add rev to a snare, how can I send the output of the rev to another channel - is it possible in real time?

To achieve it, you have to send signal from 'snare' track, to another track which contain reverb in its chain.

Yes, it's possible in real time. It's the major technique, that's probably the reason how you fount nothing special on forum about it.

There are a few ways how to achieve that in Reaper. Easiest way is to drag & drop routing GUI element of source track to destination track.

You can also click on mentioned GUI element (either source or destination track) and select send or receive track respectively)
MaXyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Judders

Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Cranky Emu

Thanks all, legends!
That video is the ducks guts, can see myself wading through the rest of the Kenny videos.