Old 01-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #1
dhj
Human being with feelings

Default M-Audio M Track distortion

Coming back to Reaper after a year or so not playing/recording and have a strange issue re the above. I record tracks and play back mostly with no problem and then, for no accountable reason, the next recorded track will be distorted. No settings and/or recording setup have been changed in between tracks. It is literally stop recording a track, start next track.
If I export the distorted track it sounds fine. I then have to close Reaper, restart and it will then work, sometimes! I now may have the trouble with recording ANY tracks at all. If it doesn't, then unplugging the M-Audio and plugging back in sometimes (but not every time) fixes it. Eventually I give up in disgust and go and have a cup of tea. Come back, try again and it works perfectly, until the next time.

Any help would be most appreciated.
dhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Stella645

Which o/s?
Tried updating or re-installing the M-Audio drivers?
USB power saving options all disabled?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
dhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Which o/s?
Aha, Windows 10, all drivers up to date. USB Power Saving disabled - or at least it was a year or so ago when I last tried this. Strangely, USB power saving boxes now ticked! Turned it off and we'll see how we go. Many , many thanks for reminding me of the basic checks again. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and I'm hung up on it being a Reaper or M-Audio issue when it is likely to be Windows!

Thanks again and I'll let you know if it re-occurs.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Bri1
Banned

Heya-i use 1 m-track 2x2m c series-- it's been working faultlessly for close to a year now--no noticable distortions unless i'm missing something which would'nt be a 1st... =)
Normally running at 48khz here for mixing_but quite often switch to 96khz for 'finals'-- which s.rate are you working @?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
dhj

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using 48khz.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Bri1
Banned

Hay- are you still noticing issues? or have the nasties gone away for now?
Problems could being recent windozing update actually did resett some apps to 'defaults'-- if your coolio with power options n all that jazz-- unit should work fine per spec.
Just be aware when you update certain products they can be defaulted to factory configurations...
All units and computers are uniques in some regards--so not 1 answer suits all.
If your back rocking n rollin'-working good= all is golden right?? =)
Oh--and what block size do you set with m audio control panel?? 192? what block size does reaper report for you currently?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
dhj

Been playing with this all afternoon and, so far, no distorted tracks so I'm hoping it's fixed. Once again thanks very much for the kick in the right direction.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Bri1
Banned

All being well- you know m8 it's really quite helpfull if a 'helper' can gather some answers from any 'helpee'.
3 block size questions were asked but not 1 answer---it's great saying thankx but that extra feedback info may help more than just you=others can see questions and answers....so solutions can come quicker with no further questions needed! =)
g'day.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
dhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
All being well- you know m8 it's really quite helpfull if a 'helper' can gather some answers from any 'helpee'.
3 block size questions were asked but not 1 answer---it's great saying thankx but that extra feedback info may help more than just you=others can see questions and answers....so solutions can come quicker with no further questions needed! =)
g'day.
Not sure where you are coming from here. The only question asked and not answered was about block size, the answer to which is 192. Not sure what the '3 block size questions asked but not 1 answer' refers to. You asked a question, I answered it. You asked another question, I partially answered it and I've now fixed it. If I ask any further questions please do me the courtesy of not replying. I'll hopefully get a response from somebody a bit more tolerant.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Bri1
Banned

Ooh -lol-k m8 keep ya wig on
Tolerance is something i quite exceed at i find- would not post here otherwise with the level of just simple plain ignorances.---only asking...
i thankyou.
You might have got wiser by maybe letting others know that block sizes change with sample rates || or something usefull to topic kinda thing-||_
i really should retire as people are rather tiring when they cba to engage a miraculous thing called brain.
cya punk. =)

Last edited by Bri1; 01-13-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: 1Xtra
Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
dhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Which o/s?
Stella645 - Yep, that has definitely settled down now. Seems to have been the USB power saving options. Need to keep an eye on future windows updates setting parameters back to default.

Many thanks again for your very prompt and helpful input.