Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I got a question about EQ's

Hey, there!

I have been watching lots of YouTube videos and I have seen a few where they have two EQ's on the same track.

I would be grateful if anyone can say why I would want to do that? And, if by chance there happen to be any videos on YouTube that talks about doing this I would appreciate the referral.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:22 AM   #2
Philbo King

One possibilty is eq before and after a compressor. The one before can be tweaked to empasize freqs that you want to compress more, with the second eq used to sweeten the result.

The only rule is 'does it sound good?'
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:16 AM   #3
emarsk

Another reason could be that many EQ plugins have a limited number of bands so you could NEED to use two - or more - of them.
Some plugins (like ReaEQ) have an unlimited number of bands, but you may still find convenient to use one EQ for cleaning and fixing problems (removing resonances, cut unwanted low end, etc.), and another one for creatively shaping the timbre. You may even want to use different plugins for that.
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Indirect

EQ inverts phase. Eq + Eq = minus + minus = phase as original. Keep in mind if working with drum multitrack.
Indirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
EQ inverts phase. Eq + Eq = minus + minus = phase as original. Keep in mind if working with drum multitrack.
Go on...
Old 01-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
Really?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
emarsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Really?
No.

EQs introduce phase changes but it's not as simple (nor as dramatic) as a "phase inversion" (which doesn't exist, by the way: it's either "polarity inversion" or "180° phase change"). The only way to prevent any phase change is not EQing at all: by cascading two EQs you will add their phase changes. ReaEQ can show the phase change in the graph (although unfortunately the values are not shown on the y-axis): as you can see, a boost and a cut give opposite phase changes, and the only way to nullify the change of a boost is to put an equivalent cut, completely nullifying the EQ.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
sjs94704

Thanks everyone for your participation in this conversation.

In my case, I am a singer. I download pre-recorded background music (Track #1) and then add as many vocal tracks depending on if I decide to harmonize with myself, or, add some sort of special effect of some kind.

Would there ever be a reason to use 2 EQs on a vocal track?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk View Post
you may still find convenient to use one EQ for cleaning and fixing problems (removing resonances, cut unwanted low end, etc.), and another one for creatively shaping the timbre. You may even want to use different plugins for that.
+1
Also : one eq for "static" equing, another eQ for automation.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
bassburner

One reason might be that one of the EQs is an emulation of an analog EQ. People use a ReaEQ style EQ to subtract and an "analog" one to add.
bassburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #11
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassburner View Post
One reason might be that one of the EQs is an emulation of an analog EQ. People use a ReaEQ style EQ to subtract and an "analog" one to add.
This is my preference.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 01-19-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: AUTO SPELL CHECK SUCKS
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
Jimmy James

Many reasons I have for more than one EQ.

1. HP and LP. Some eq don't have a high pass or low pass. So I will HP with one EQ. Shape and hold with another eq.

2. A Channel Strip and EQ. Some channel strips don't have HP and LP. Or they are emulation and I need to do a dip at 350. But the strip doesn't habe that. So I add another eq.

3. Compression and EQs. I got in the habit of using the Abbey Road presence after compression. And now, I like to do EQ cuts and roll offs before my compressor.
Then I will do small boost after the comp. Makes the track sound less EQie this way. More natural sounding.

4. Artistic. Sometimes I like to use 2 EQs just for artistic reasons. If I want to really play with the sound of a track, using two different eqs will so it for sure.

5.Abbey Road vibe. Sometimes I will use the same as twice. One before compression and the same eq after compression.
You can also use this with any FX. One EQ before Delay and a second after the delay. Or reverb, etc;

Working at shops for many years. I could never understand why so many player looked at me crazy when I would suggest a EQ for their live rig.
The ones who tried it, thanked me up and down. And many bought a second eq after I showed them my BOSS EQ Keith Richards Start Me Up eq trick for humbuckers.......
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
G-Sun

sjs94704:
Here you get much more information then you need.

You'd be better of looking up Basic Mixing tutorials.

The short answer to your question: Stick to one eq like ReaEq for each track/bus.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:18 AM   #14
Allspice

You'll know when you need to use two EQ's as you get more practice mixing. There is a lot of advanced information brought up in this thread which probably isn't completely helpful.

John at The Reaper Blog has some really nice beginning mixing tutorials. They get into how you can use EQ pretty early in the tutorial series. I think they're well done and they move quickly, which is refreshing.

https://reaperblog.net/course/beginn...course-part-1/
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
sjs94704

Default Thank you to everyone who contributed to this conversation

I want to thank everyone for all your input and appreciate you all taking time to reply. It gives me lots of information to think about .... and a direction to go to research....
Old 01-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #16
emarsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
[…] lots of information to think about .... and a direction to go to research....
Just don't think too much about these secondary details, there are other things about mixing that come before this stuff. One is just good old practice.
One day you'll just find yourself wanting to use two EQs for whatever reason, and YOU'll know why.

When I was younger, I wanted to learn tapping on bass guitar. I got books of exercises and VHS's (yeah, it was pre-internet) but I wasn't "getting it". Then one day I was writing a song with my band, and I wanted THOSE notes right there, and the only way to play them was to tap them. Something clicked and I learned tapping.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #17
Indirect

I've checked and ReaEQ doesn't change phase (it just probably change it twice). That doesn't mean others don't. I'm certain my stompbox EQ does - I've checked on mixer insert (multi-out from DAW, identical signal)
Indirect is offline   Reply With Quote