Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Azzar
Human being with feelings

Default FR: Only show tracks of selected items in MIDI track list

When opening multiple items in a "one midi editor per project" workflow, one thing I REALLY miss is an option to make the MIDI track list only show tracks that the selected items are on.

If you want to work on something like a four part harmony, being able to quickly toggle between four selected items is key. Having all the tracks of the entire project show up in the track list complicates that workflow a lot and makes visibility and editability a pain to handle.

It's already possible to manually select which tracks to show in the list, so I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to add an option that took care of this when opening the editor.
Azzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
nofish

Have you looked into Preferences (-> Editing Behaviour) -> MIDI Editor -> Behaviour for "open items in built-in MIDI editor" ?

It sounds like you currently might have it set to "Open all MIDI in project" ?
If so, would setting it to "Open all selected MIDI items" instead help ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Azzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Have you looked into Preferences (-> Editing Behaviour) -> MIDI Editor -> Behaviour for "open items in built-in MIDI editor" ?

It sounds like you currently might have it set to "Open all MIDI in project" ?
If so, would setting it to "Open all selected MIDI items" instead help ?
Actually "Open all selected MIDI items" is the setting I have active. The problem is that the track list in the midi editor shows all tracks of the project, even if I only select a couple of items on a few tracks. That makes it hard to make an action that cycles between the chosen items and nothing else.

In Cubase I have a key bound to cycling between active / editable takes, but I'm unsure if this is possible with the way the MIDI track list works now.

I'll look into the API and see if I can script my way around it, but seeing as there already is a handful of options for how the MIDI track list and editor behaves, it would be nice to have an option like "Only show tracks with selected items"
Azzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzar View Post
Actually "Open all selected MIDI items" is the setting I have active. The problem is that the track list in the midi editor shows all tracks of the project, even if I only select a couple of items on a few tracks.
Ah yes, you're right.
I wrote above post from memory and thought this wouldn't be the case, sorry.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:10 AM   #5
Jaybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzar View Post
When opening multiple items in a "one midi editor per project" workflow, one thing I REALLY miss is an option to make the MIDI track list only show tracks that the selected items are on.

If you want to work on something like a four part harmony, being able to quickly toggle between four selected items is key. Having all the tracks of the entire project show up in the track list complicates that workflow a lot and makes visibility and editability a pain to handle.

It's already possible to manually select which tracks to show in the list, so I guess it wouldn't be a big deal to add an option that took care of this when opening the editor.
+1 This would be a great option an invaluable with large orchestral template work.
Jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Klangfarben

+1 for this
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote