Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Vendetta V
Human being with feelings

Default Midi in, what about midi out?

So I got this controller by Arturia, minilab

This guy has pads with LEDs behind them and they can be both Toggle or single shot and whatnot.

Is there a way to have midi feedback though?
I have one of the pads assigned as Metronome on/off. If I switch the metronome off or on o nthe screen with a mouse tho then my LED won't light up.

Question, can it be done so that Reaper sends a midi signal to the controller to tell it to turn onthe LED on one of the pads?

cheers, V
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
So I got this controller by Arturia, minilab

This guy has pads with LEDs behind them and they can be both Toggle or single shot and whatnot.

Is there a way to have midi feedback though?
I have one of the pads assigned as Metronome on/off. If I switch the metronome off or on o nthe screen with a mouse tho then my LED won't light up.

Question, can it be done so that Reaper sends a midi signal to the controller to tell it to turn onthe LED on one of the pads?

cheers, V
Yes and no. Yes, but only with workarounds and hacks (myself, I typically use the OSC Control Surface feature and convert back/forth to MIDI outside of REAPER for this sort of stuff).

So, no, it can't be easily done. Vote here!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Yes and no. Yes, but only with workarounds and hacks (myself, I typically use the OSC Control Surface feature and convert back/forth to MIDI outside of REAPER for this sort of stuff).

So, no, it can't be easily done. Vote here!
Hey Banned, Totally voted yes!! that'd be very useful!

but for now, can you give me the rather hard workaround? Apparently it's possible? I know my way around computers and stuff and would really wanna attempt getting it to work
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Hey Banned, Totally voted yes!! that'd be very useful!

but for now, can you give me the rather hard workaround? Apparently it's possible? I know my way around computers and stuff and would really wanna attempt getting it to work
Take a look at this post: Remote MIDI controllers and parameter feedback (via OSC/Pd), where I have tried to explain the basics of this approach. Hopefully, you are able to adapt it for your purposes, by modifying some Pd patch that communicates with REAPER to get/set the metronome state.

There is this line in the .ReaperOsc configuration file for the OSC Control Surface for the metronome:
Code:
METRONOME t/click
You probably want to convert the OSC message "/click" from REAPER to some MIDI CC# and send that to your (minilab) MIDI controller; and vice versa, convert that MIDI CC# when sent from the MIDI controller to the OSC message "/click" and send that to REAPER.

I think you should also be able to change the toggle type to a binary switch type, by using
Code:
METRONOME b/click
Then it should send/respond to OSC messages "/click 0" and "/click 1" for off/on states.

(You can rename "click" into something else if you want (e.g. "/transport/metronome"), but I guess that's not the interesting part here.)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Vendetta V

Great, thanks a lot Banned, that does make sense and is quite logical actually. will read more thoroughly soon!

Another quick question, is there a way to find out whether my Controller supports midi feedback? Manual does not provide much info.