Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Default Not having per-item track locking just wasted 3 hours of my life

Every time I press the track (un)lock button it's scary.

I just wasted 3 hours fixing a project, having accidentally nudged an adjacent track, and I almost sent it off that way to go on tv.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having this happen (repeatedly).
Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
gregh

It has me looking at using something else - unfortunately i can't afford any of the programs that have both item locking and the other good things things that reaper does have
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Winfield

... I will NOT go back to my previous daw, I will however welcome a locking function!

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
gregh

It's not the only reason

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...54&postcount=1

is a new problem and (as with item locking) if the problem arises many times per session it gets annoying

I hope these issues get addressed or acknowledged because there are many other aspects of Reaper that work very well
Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Tallisman

Default I sympathise

I feel your pain though I can't relate. While I miss the comfort of knowing a track / item is locked, I have never suffered from an inadvertently moved track in Reaper.

nevertheless, ++1 for piece of mind.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
gregh

I know from what others have said that the lack of item locking in Reaper is a significant usability issue for a number of people. But if you are primarily tracking bands and tightening up performances it probably isn't.

I'm not so concerned about locking tracks, although being able to lock the TCP setting for a track would also be very handy
Old 03-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
JasonTheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
I feel your pain though I can't relate. While I miss the comfort of knowing a track / item is locked, I have never suffered from an inadvertently moved track in Reaper.

nevertheless, ++1 for piece of mind.

.t
If I bump something, I usually just use "Move Item To Preffered position" thingy.

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
gregh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTheron View Post
If I bump something, I usually just use "Move Item To Preffered position" thingy.
This is only useful if the 'preferred position' is where you actually want it.

No locking of item positons really is a big problem for people doing lots of small edits and shuffling references to the same source to many different positions
Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
JasonTheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
This is only useful if the 'preferred position' is where you actually want it.

No locking of item positons really is a big problem for people doing lots of small edits and shuffling references to the same source to many different positions
Could you glue when you get done with edits on a specific track?

Still definitely agree that we need a per-item lock.

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
gregh

thanks for the tips jason - yes you are right that 'glue' does help.... but not enough
Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
... I will NOT go back to my previous daw, I will however welcome a locking function!

-W
I hate to say it, but I'm thinking about it because in hindsight - I've wasted a lot of my *life* fixing things because of accidentally bumping an adjacent track. Just for trying to fix a late tom hit or something, you end up with a ton of time figuring out what happened to what clip and how to put it back.

It's not worth it, I can't do that anymore.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
vocalnick

I've requested this before, as have many others. It just seems like SUCH a simple request, wanted by many, and that will have no adverse effect on any other functions. I can't understand why it hasn't been implemented.
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
gregh

I'm back to Audition for low track count audio projects that need a lot of editing. Reaper still wins on large multitrack projects and VSTi's and more, but the lack of item locking is a big one for me. There is something about my relationship with the interface that means items seem to get misplaced by small amounts when i'm doing a lot of edits.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
vocalnick

And just to anticipate the objections on the grounds of "if you don't want something moved, don't move it" - try spending some time with ripple editing enabled and then say that :P
vocalnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #15
Winfield

The option to glue IS handy, but if I knew how to unglue then it would be immensely more useful for me as a work around for not having per item lock

I'm still keeping everything crossed for the next update of Reaper giving me the option to lock per item/track...

-W
Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #16
Bevosss

It's a bit like having a safety on a gun...or a safety cone...

++1 from me, it's a real bitch to find out much later something got accidentally shifted. If it wasn't glued or recorded at that spot, then it's all guess work lining it up.

A workaround is to undo back to where everything was cool, and copy the track in question...then redo and paste it back in.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
Lawrence

I haven't run into the issue in Reaper since I'm not a heavy user but I understand it.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-22-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #18
Amberience

I'm struggling to understand this. Can someone explain it to me in simpleton terms.

If this is regarding accidently shifting items with the numpad. You could always change the functionality of the numpad numbers.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Kihoalu

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not alone in having this happen (repeatedly).
You are certainly right about that one!

I also wasted about 2-3 hours this weekend on the same issue.

Reaper makes a pretty good real-time field recorder, especially with the Direct-to-Disc approach and the ability so seamlessly save periodically. I have been using it for a couple of years now for my "Hawaii Project", where I record 8 Tracks for 2-1/2 hours each night continuously and then mix down and break into cuts in my home studio. Since I am auto-saving every 20 minutes or so I end up with 2.5*3*8 = 60 files THAT MUST REMAIN SAMPLE-ACCURATE TO EACH OTHER during all post processing. Post processing time is about Ten Hours for each evenings recordings.

Mostly I keep the files locked for both horizontal and vertical movement, however due to the need to compensate for delay on the ambient mic channels I do need to move some tracks things initially. Also I sometimes need to add tracks from the backup recorder due to equipment problems in the field.

So far, I have accidentally moved one or more of the segments on each and every recording set, costing me an additional 2 to 3 hours of time straightening things out again. Since there are six recording sets to process Reaper will cost me an additional 18 hours on this project for the lack of item-locking alone.

I guess this is what is really meant by "Faster Work Flow"?

P.S. it does not help that moving items is done with a simple left-click and drag, one of the most common of all mouse moves. I suppose I could reprogram the move to use something like shift-right-click and that would reduce the problem but not eliminate it. (Of course then the old shift-right-click would need to be re-assigned and it's successor re-assigned, etc. etc.)

Last edited by Kihoalu; 04-28-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Kihoalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #20
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kihoalu View Post
Mostly I keep the files locked for both horizontal and vertical movement, however due to the need to compensate for delay on the ambient mic channels I do need to move some tracks things initially. Also I sometimes need to add tracks from the backup recorder due to equipment problems in the field.
there's a JS effect plugin called time_adjustment which allows you to move a track forwards *or backwards* (by doing something clever with the plugin delay compensation). so you could do your time adjustment using that and leave your tracks locked.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
planetnine

Default nudged item workaround...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
It's a bit like having a safety on a gun...or a safety cone...

++1 from me, it's a real bitch to find out much later something got accidentally shifted. If it wasn't glued or recorded at that spot, then it's all guess work lining it up.

A workaround is to undo back to where everything was cool, and copy the track in question...then redo and paste it back in.

This is a useful workaround, must commit to memory...

Per item locking would be good with some kind of visual indication, too. something like a user-defineable colour or pattern overlay...

Last edited by planetnine; 04-30-2008 at 02:22 AM. Reason: memory error...
planetnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #22
jm duchenne

Quote:
I'm still keeping everything crossed for the next update of Reaper giving me the option to lock per item/track...
Me too !!!
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #23
chip mcdonald

I keep things locked horizontally... until I need to move something.

To elaborate:

Hypothetically let's say one wants to copy/paste the attack on a bass note to fix it somewhere else.

In a hurry, I set the loop area, copy selected area, blah...

Paste. Except, I HATE the Pro Tools "set 1,000 markers" pasting process... which is great in a perfect world where one can sit back and just bask in calm, serene NitPicky Perfect detail...

BUT, I want to paste it, drag it to where I want it (which is actually the PROCESS YOU DO IN PT, but with the extra step... that drives me nuts)..

Anyhow... drag scoot, drag-scoot... then you see you've got it where you want it, THEN...

It turns out you "touched" the adjacent tracks - or maybe the same track where maybe you've chopped out the offending section. You don't know how often, and how far.

Maybe, you don't realize it until you open the project the next day.

THAT REALLY HYPER SUCKS.

If one could just unlock the single clip (ala CEP) there would be no worries.

Yeah, you could do it The Pro Tools Way (tm), set markers, range, blah blah... but if I liked filling out paperwork I'd have a government job, you know?

Anyhow... per-item clip unlocking would be "a nice thing".
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
Kihoalu

Yes - per-item clip UNLOCKING would be just as good as per-item locking, since I keep things locked most of the time anyway. However, I suspect the code implementation would be substantially the same either way.

P.S. - The JS delay adjuster plug is not useable for me as I need to VISUALLY align the track with others, usually done with scale blown-up so that I see individual samples clearly. I usually align using any convenient transient that is shared between the mixer tracks and the ambient tracks.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #25
Winfield

Default Just saw this and couldn't agree more :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovr View Post
I've requested this before, as have many others. It just seems like SUCH a simple request, wanted by many, and that will have no adverse effect on any other functions. I can't understand why it hasn't been implemented.

-W

(ten characters)