Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Default "One handed" Pultec

Does anyone know of a Pultec style eq that has the corner/invert frequencies and peak frequency locked together with one knob? Anyone care to make that?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Anton9

If you don't find what your looking for you could always use the "Parameter Modulation" window to link two or more parameters of any plugin that allows it's parameters to be modulated. You can turn the modulation off and just use the "Link from parameter" option. This will also give you two other parameters "Offset" and "Scale" using these you could even set up one parameter to move in the opposite direction of the one you are tweaking.

If decide to go this route and need any help setting it up just let me know and I can post a little tutorial.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
If you don't find what your looking for you could always use the "Parameter Modulation" window to link two or more parameters of any plugin that allows it's parameters to be modulated..
Wasn't aware of this possibility! Succinct solution, interesting, thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
jonpv

Yes! NastyVCS does this and it is free, and also incredibly good - you set the frequency with one knob, then have one knob for cut and one for boost: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/...eleased-today/

The boost cuts below the corner frequency and the cut cuts above the frequency, and I think the curves are taken directly from Pultec EQs. The other parts of the EQ are taken from analogue curves and the "air" section has compensation for the warping effect of boosting near the nyquist.

Incidentally, BootEQ mk2 is also by the same guy (and free) and combines a pre-amp simulation with an eq, the preamp section has a LF boost which isn't an EQ as such but is a simulation of the low frequency harmonics you get from some transformers - I usually turn this all the way up and then follow it with a ReaEQ preset I have which is a low shelf at 200Hz with -4.6dB cut and 1.02 bandwidth. If you turn the LF knob all the way up and then use ReaEQ with those settings then the bass stays at the same volume but has loads of harmonics - kind of like Waves Maxxbass but better IMO. BootEQ's EQ section also does pultec style curves with EQ but in a not as convenient way as NastyVCS.
jonpv is offline   Reply With Quote