Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Cup
Human being with feelings

Default can't delete problem VST cos it's stuck open in host32

This is my first post. I'm sorry it's long - I've tried to break it down.

I had two questions, but one I've just solved, so editing to help others. The 2nd q remains interesting.

1 - I wanted to delete a DLL for a crash-prone VST, but when I went to file manager and tried, it told me it was open in Reaper_host32.exe. I wondered how to close host32 in order to make the file deletable. I've discovered that turning the PC off and back on releases it for deletion. Just closing Reaper doesn't.

2 - I've been using Reaper for about a year. I'm a non-technical musician doing home demos and mixing. I wanted a version of the John Lennon vocal sound, the one that appears on the Rock n Roll album. So I downloaded three or four delays from VSTs 4 free, plus the ADT that used to be offered by Vacuumsound, and which is now only available as a heritage download from some other place.

I loaded an old project in order to A/B the various FX on the vocal. I first tried ADT. I can't remember if it was then, or as I worked through the others, but Reaper started crashing. The mouse arrow would turn into the blue circle for a bit, an error message would appear, and then after a while the song would carry on along the timeline but with no sound (neither out loud nor any colourful lights on the track indicators). I closed, reopened, it worked for a minute, it went wrong again. Many times.

I checked these forums and found some near miss threads, which improved my understanding, but did not solve the problem.

Here is a sample error message pop-up:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
X Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Reaper(x64)\Plugins\reaper_host32.exe
R6025
- pure virtual function call

If I clicked OK it whirred and said "reaper_host32.exe has stopped working" and that a problem caused it to stop, Windows will close the program and notify of any solution. It had a "close program" button which I pressed. In my view, that should close the program, although as we'll see below, it appeared not to, since my VST remained trapped within it.

The error reports were unhelpful. The first one showed the culprit module as name unknown, and path unknown. A couple of later reports did the same. The rest all fingered Lost Angel, one of the Antress compressors. I do not believe this, since I've used Lost Angel a hundred thousand times, including all over this project (which I finished last summer) and it's never been a problem. My guess is that one of the new VSTs made host32 go bonkers, and maybe LA was the first VST it found and so it flipped out at that point. I've been happily using Reaper for two other projects in the last couple of weeks (I'm re-doing some old stuff, now I've learnt more) and neither LA nor anything else caused any problem, until I tried to be John Lennon.

Here for the record was the error log:

Fault bucket 1641386452453972834, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: reaper_host32.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 5a8b6a9b
P4: ModernLostAngel.dll
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 4b14231e
P7: 40000015
P8: 000b3a48
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6 537.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6 642.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6 651.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6 661.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive \AppCrash_reaper_host32.ex_f17658a0f9cf1bb58e0ef3f 206a391ce33b1424_b40a6b82_373594af

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report ID: 95924ad7-9ff8-4c24-a780-76aae3600f34
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 31cabc3b47470e2fc6c7604835a85b62

Or sometimes this:

Faulting application name: reaper_host32.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a8b6a9b
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0xd4e4d141
Faulting process ID: 0x1ecc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b344bffad328
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\reaper_host32.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: e08143b5-cc23-4bf9-8c9a-f2353117eef3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've since logged back on and tried something, and this is where it gets interesting. I had put all the new VSTs in Steinberg. I'd forgotten that the 32s used to go in a folder in Program Files (x86). I checked on VST 4 free which ones were 32 and which were 64, and put them in the appropriate folders. Because I was suspicious of ADT (because it's not supported and doesn't have a GUI etc) I re-downloaded it to make sure I had the 64 bit version. So now I did, and I put it in Steinberg (where it was to begin with).

I also, following guidance on here, checked my path for scanning the VSTs, and put Steinberg at the end, to make sure anything in there would load in preference to anything lurking elsewhere.

I reopened the project with no new VSTs. It ran for a good 3 mins without glitch. Then I put ADT on, and it crashed. I noticed something. All these reports are about the 32 bit bridge snapping. But it's a 64 bit VST. I also noticed that in the FX list it's called "VST: ADT (x86) (Vacuumsound, developer's name)".

I am, as mentioned, no techie, but I became suspicious given that the number 86 has some meaning in this world.

Why did I have a 64 bit VST that Reaper believed was in PF86 and tried to bridge as if it were 32? I recently saw a thing about the sheep that thinks it's a dog, and I was reminded of that.

Next, I tried to meet Reaper half way. I moved ADT to the VST folder in PF (86). No luck, same problem.

I can't check the documentation for ADT, because, while trying to delete it entirely (on the WTF do I care argument), the only things that did delete were the txt and pdf files. Ha. So I don't know if it's a 64 that thinks it's a 32, or a real 32 lurking on the wrong download link, or what. But as mentioned, when I tried to delete it, I was told I couldn't because it was still open in host32 exe. [EDIT - this is now solved, since I remembered deleting the first version when I redownloaded it, which was first thing in the morning, after an overnight turning off of the PC, but before opening and crashing Reaper. So the second download has now also been deleted, hurrah!]

So, with the immediate problem solved - ADT is deleted, and Reaper is indeed working again, it would still be good to know - is there anything I can do to stop Reaper trying to bridge ADT, so that I could try it again? Why does it want to bridge a 64?

Phew.

Oh, in case it matters, a couple of weeks ago i downloaded the latest updated version of Reaper. I'm told this about my PC:

Windows 10 Home
Version 1703
Intel Core i3-4150 CPU at 3.5GHz
Installed RAM 8GB (7.88 usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

Many thanks, and congratulations to anyone who reads this far, it feels like an overlong guitar solo. It would be great if I could get ADT to work safely, and maybe help others by raising it.

Ciao.

Last edited by Cup; 03-07-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Solved one aspect - larger q still interesting
Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #2
slipstick

I'm not sure I took all of that in but -
1. Please post the full list of what you have in the Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/VST - VST Plug-in paths entry.
2. Just to make sure please do a "Clear cache/re-scan" not just a re-scan.
3. Can you post a link to where you got the 64-bit ADT VST from?

If either Reaper_host32 or ADT are refusing to close down you may need to delete them using Task Manager...it's not too difficult but if you're not comfortable with computers it's a fairly daunting prospect.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Stella645

Sounds like you installed the 32bit (x86) version.

I just downloaded the 64bit here,

http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/audioplugins/

It definitely does not show as x86 in the name and it seems to work fine despite the warning at the top of that page.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
I'm not sure I took all of that in but -
1. Please post the full list of what you have in the Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/VST - VST Plug-in paths entry.
2. Just to make sure please do a "Clear cache/re-scan" not just a re-scan.
3. Can you post a link to where you got the 64-bit ADT VST from?

If either Reaper_host32 or ADT are refusing to close down you may need to delete them using Task Manager...it's not too difficult but if you're not comfortable with computers it's a fairly daunting prospect.

Steve
Steve,

Thanks for replying - here's the path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Plug-Ins;C:\Program Files (x86)\OverTonePlugins PTC-2A;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins

I'm pretty sure I did clear the cache, but will try again before re-downloading the offending VST one last time.

I got it from here: http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/audioplugins/

Having turned the PC off and back on, and then deleting the file before opening Reaper, seems to have worked. I'm no longer stuck in an infernal loop!

I'll reclear the cache, turn the PC back off and on, then re-download.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Sounds like you installed the 32bit (x86) version.

I just downloaded the 64bit here,

http://www.nullmedium.de/dev/audioplugins/

It definitely does not show as x86 in the name and it seems to work fine despite the warning at the top of that page.
Aha - interesting that yours doesn't show 86 in the name. I definitely took care to click the 64 bit link. I'm wondering if, because I just deleted the file, then redownloaded it, then opened Reaper, the DAW may have been pointing at the old location or something???

I'm now manically turning my PC off and on between everything I do!

Thanks,

Paul
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
slipstick

If you're confident that you downloaded the 64bit version then it does sound like you only did a rescan without the clear cache. Both dlls have exactly the same name and Reaper seems to go slightly odd sometimes when it finds a new file that looks identical to one it thinks it already knows about.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
If you're confident that you downloaded the 64bit version then it does sound like you only did a rescan without the clear cache. Both dlls have exactly the same name and Reaper seems to go slightly odd sometimes when it finds a new file that looks identical to one it thinks it already knows about.

Steve
Brill, that's useful to know. It now looks like some other thing is making host32 crash, though. I successfully deleted ADT, cleared cache and rescanned (and ADT is no longer there). It let me play for longer this time, but has just crashed again.

I intend to turn off, back on, delete all the new VTSs I got at the weekend, clear cache, turn off, back on, and then download them again one at a time until it goes wrong.

Is that re-install thing really hard? ...
Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #8
ivansc

Nope - As a habit, I tend to use Iobit`s uninstaller to get anything that may be lurking, but in Reapers case it is very polite. No changes made to the registry, so it is just a case of deleting the Reaper directory.

Before you do that, a safer alternative that will keep your existing (if suspect) install intact is to download Reaper again and check the "portable" option when you run the installer.
This creates a new, factory fresh installation in your C: drive and then you can add your plugin paths one by one till it breaks.

The other alternative is to use the "open reaper with factory settings" option which will open a new project with no plugins installed. The add stuff in one at a time till it breaks as I said earlier.

For the future, read the early bits of the User Guide regarding plugins. One thing that is really relevant is that the order in which you enter your 32 and 64 bit plugin paths governs which version reaper sees first and this decides which version will show in your plugin select window
Good luck!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Nope - As a habit, I tend to use Iobit`s uninstaller to get anything that may be lurking, but in Reapers case it is very polite. No changes made to the registry, so it is just a case of deleting the Reaper directory.

Before you do that, a safer alternative that will keep your existing (if suspect) install intact is to download Reaper again and check the "portable" option when you run the installer.
This creates a new, factory fresh installation in your C: drive and then you can add your plugin paths one by one till it breaks.

The other alternative is to use the "open reaper with factory settings" option which will open a new project with no plugins installed. The add stuff in one at a time till it breaks as I said earlier.

For the future, read the early bits of the User Guide regarding plugins. One thing that is really relevant is that the order in which you enter your 32 and 64 bit plugin paths governs which version reaper sees first and this decides which version will show in your plugin select window
Good luck!
Cool, many thanks. Just a thought - i intend to work through these options from least dramatic (delate/reinstall the vsts) to the most (reinstall Reaper). If I do the latter, is there a checkbox or something to make clear that I've paid already and am not a brand new person acquiring Reaper for the first time?