Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 AM   #1
The Utter East
Human being with feelings

Default Looking for a quicker way to load a track template - scripts?

So I've got a track pre-set up with EQ and High and Low shelves. Since most tracks require these things I think it'll be easier to start with them loaded, and then remove (or just leave zeroed) if not required.

I've saved the FX Chain, I've saved the track as a template, and I've set up an action to load a track template, but I can't find any way to open that specific track template with just one button. I can't find a way to load an FX chain with an action at all.

Is it possible to write a script to do this? A quick look through the documentation doesn't suggest to me that it is, but I'm far from an expert when it comes to such things.
The Utter East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Michael AD

I just right-click, choose load track template, and I am given a choice of all my saved track templates, including some that may have an FX chain.

Why do you need an action?
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Utter East View Post
I can't find a way to load an FX chain with an action at all.
Open FX Browser window, Select 'FX Chain' folder in left column, in right column right-click a FX Chain and select Create Shortcut from menu, if you only interested in adding the chain as a toolbar button then just close the dialog. You'll now have a new action in the Actions window, these are named "Insert FX chain: NAME OF CHAIN HERE". You can now add the actin to a toolbar button or whatever you want.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
The Utter East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
Why do you need an action?
Because it's quicker. All the little things you can do quicker add up to better workflow.

You're talking about making 3 clicks and moving/scrolling around to get what you're after. I'm talking about pressing 1 button.

It all adds up.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Edgemeal

To load track template from toolbar button you can make Lua script, example,..

Code:
local path = reaper.GetResourcePath() .. '/TrackTemplates/' .. 'Guitar/AmpliTube 4/Bass 4x10.RTrackTemplate'
reaper.Main_openProject(path)
Just replace the end part 'Guitar/AmpliTube 4/Bass 4x10.RTrackTemplate' with the path/filename of your own track template.

FWIW, I made an Exe for Windows that makes these scripts for me by just dropping track templates onto the app.

Last edited by Edgemeal; 10-03-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
The Utter East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Open FX Browser window, Select 'FX Chain' folder in left column, in right column right-click a FX Chain and select Create Shortcut from menu, if you only interested in adding the chain as a toolbar button then just close the dialog. You'll now have a new action in the Actions window, these are named "Insert FX chain: NAME OF CHAIN HERE". You can now add the actin to a toolbar button or whatever you want.
That's perfect, thanks. To make it even better, I added in "Open/close UI for FX#1 on last touched track", so that the track remains the focus rather than the FX.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #7
Hartley Mays

Default SWS Resources Window

As long as you have the SWS extensions installed, you can use the SWS Resources window to load FX Chains and Track Templates and then assign them to tracks quickly. The resources window can be populated with all your templates or chains, and then there are existing actions to load one from a specific slot to all selected tracks, or to pick the slot to load from. So this works particularly well when creating a new project.

Good luck,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote