Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
themachineproject
Human being with feelings

Default Zoom R16

Hey everyone, I recently bought a Tascam US-144mkII to fulfill my audio interface needs, but I'm really not liking the lack of effects and such. I thought handling effects and other such things through Reaper would be easier, but I'm not enjoying it so far.

The Zoom R16 has caught my eye though, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on whether I should pick it up or not. I would be using it as a mixer/recorder and possibly an interface. I mainly record guitar and bass and am really liking the effects that the R16 comes with. I also like the fact that it can function as an audio interface (therefore negating the necessity of my Tascam).

Any advice or compatibility issues would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
themachineproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
nightscope

Zoom R16 could also be used as a control surface for Reaper as it supports Mackie Control Protocol

"The control surface function of the R16 is based on the Mackie Control emulation mode. Therefore it can be used with any DAW software that supports Mackie Control"

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
tls11823

I have an R16, but don't use its audio interface or control surface functions. The R16 works great for me as a device for remote recording, but I take the wave files from it and do everything else in Reaper. Any new recording that I can do at home is done directly into Reaper, since it's less work.

I've been very pleased with the R16 as a stand-alone unit, but just don't have the need for an audio interface, since I already have a good sound card and a DI/preamp. However, there are people on the Zoom forum that report that it works quite well as an audio interface.

I tried the control surface functions back when I was on Sonar. It's OK, but I found that it still didn't give me enough functionality and I found myself going to the computer's mouse and/or keyboard to do a lot of functions. As a control surface it gives you the ability to play, rewind, fast-forward, stop, record, and quickly set the current position. Plus, for each track you can control the fader and switch between solo/record/mute. Maybe there are a few other functions that I'm forgetting, but that just didn't seem to be quite enough control to get the job done and make it part of the process.

In short - stressing that this is my opinion only - I highly recommend the R16 as a standalone recording device. Based on reports from others, I also recommend it as an audio interface. However, if you're counting on using it as a control surface, make sure your expectations are set to an appropriate level.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
themachineproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
I have an R16, but don't use its audio interface or control surface functions. The R16 works great for me as a device for remote recording, but I take the wave files from it and do everything else in Reaper. Any new recording that I can do at home is done directly into Reaper, since it's less work.

I've been very pleased with the R16 as a stand-alone unit, but just don't have the need for an audio interface, since I already have a good sound card and a DI/preamp. However, there are people on the Zoom forum that report that it works quite well as an audio interface.

I tried the control surface functions back when I was on Sonar. It's OK, but I found that it still didn't give me enough functionality and I found myself going to the computer's mouse and/or keyboard to do a lot of functions. As a control surface it gives you the ability to play, rewind, fast-forward, stop, record, and quickly set the current position. Plus, for each track you can control the fader and switch between solo/record/mute. Maybe there are a few other functions that I'm forgetting, but that just didn't seem to be quite enough control to get the job done and make it part of the process.

In short - stressing that this is my opinion only - I highly recommend the R16 as a standalone recording device. Based on reports from others, I also recommend it as an audio interface. However, if you're counting on using it as a control surface, make sure your expectations are set to an appropriate level.
Thanks, you're reply really solidified the decision for me. I'm definitely going to be picking this up. As it is, I already own a Zoom h4n and I'm assuming the r16 will expand upon this little device's capabilities tenfold. I like the idea of recording to SD cards, moving them into Reaper and doing the rest there. That process works for me as well.

One more question. When multi-track recording with the r16, does the file have to be bounced down into one single .wav file in order to be moved into Reaper or can you save all the tracks individually? For example, having the individual track for the bass, guitar, vocals, kept separate.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Fran Guidry

You can pull out the individual tracks.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by themachineproject View Post
One more question. When multi-track recording with the r16, does the file have to be bounced down into one single .wav file in order to be moved into Reaper or can you save all the tracks individually? For example, having the individual track for the bass, guitar, vocals, kept separate.
As reported by Fran Guidry, you get individual .wav files for each track on the R16. I highly recommend naming the tracks on the R16, even though it can be somewhat tedious. By default they're given names like MONO-004.WAV or STE-000.WAV, with the numeric portion starting at zero and incrementing as you record each track. After a night of recording, when you transfer them to your PC, you have a bunch of files whose names mean nothing. It's so much easier when they have names like LEADVOX, PNO_L, BASS, etc.

Another thing to look out for - if you want to move new or modified tracks back onto the SD card for use on the R16, make sure the file names contain no more than eight characters and that they consist of only letters, numbers, and underscores (_). Also be careful that you render them at 44.1 and that the bit depth matches your project. If you follow those rules, you'll be able to move stuff back and forth with no problems. For example, I'll commonly record some stuff at a remote location, pull it into Reaper and start playing around. Then I may combine, say, all of the harmony vocal parts into one stereo file and move that to the R16 for further remote recording of other parts. Really cool and very flexible, given the limitations listed above.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
opty

dear themachineproject,

I have bought a R16 some time ago and I've been using it both as an interface as well as a controller (and sometimes as standalone). I have not managed to get latency below 10ms when using it as an interface without serious crackling. For me 10ms is not a problem when recording (it's 3 virtual meters of air between sound source and your ears after all, right). So if you are a latency junkie you may consider a different interface.

As far as the controller surface goes. It's nice to have but I rarely use it. The in-built condenser mics are actually better than expected (not great but ok-ish). The mobile recording function is good and can come in handy.

I would not touch the inbuilt guitar amp "effects" for anything beyond the demoest of demos. Get a guitarsim (pod or similar) and use that one.

If you buy an SD Card be sure to get a fast one (I have a Class 6). They may be a bit pricey, but I think it's worth it.

All in all I like it. Especially considering the price.

best,
opty

PS: If someone managed to get the latency lower than 10ms on an R16 I would welcome suggestions (not for me but for those pricks without a basic feel for timing trying to blame their weak performance on me not having ProTools and "unbearable" latency.)

PPS: Oh... I forgot. R16 only has 1 L/R Output to route to (headphone out and main out share the same output route). Just in case you think about separate headphone mixes while recording. If that is not an issue for you.

Last edited by opty; 11-23-2010 at 03:03 AM.
opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
themachineproject

Opty, is there a certain interface you would recommend specifically for guitarists and bassists? I have a Tascam Us-144mkII