Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
mrthnmn
Human being with feelings

Default Low Memory & CPU Usage, Latency & Popping

Hello!

I am running Reaper 5.971 on 64-bit Windows 7, 4 GB RAM with a Scarlett 2i4 interface. I've optimized Windows per this site:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...o-on-Windows-7

I'm recording with condenser mics to a click track and trying to get the buffer size right but I can't eliminate the latency and the popping. If I record 1 mic/track with a 1024 buffer size (44.1 khz sample rate) it goes well for about 10 seconds and then starts both lagging and popping.

I thought it must be inadequate memory but it appears to using only 100 MB of RAM and 1% of CPU.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
mrthnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
DVDdoug

There's probably some process or driver "hogging" your system. It doesn't have to hog a big percentage of the CPU cycles. It just has to hog the system for a few milliseconds too long and you get buffer overflow and a glitch.

When you have a lot of time there is a FREE online book about optimizing your computer for audio called Glitch Free.

Bigger buffers mean more latency, but a bigger buffer can often help to prevent glitches. (And you will get glitches if the buffer is too small.)

There are some interfaces that offer zero-latency hardware monitoring (where the monitoring signal doesn't go through the computer) and that allows you to use a big recording buffer. You can still monitor your backing track through the computer, and the playback latency can be compensated for. The Focusrite doesn't have that feature... It's advertised as "super low latency" and that still depends on the computer.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
mrthnmn

Thanks Doug.

I can monitor input, the send from the PC or mix them with my Focusrite but maybe that's not what you're talking about. I've tried to eliminate all unnecessary processes/services. Maybe Task Manager could help track down the problem, even though it will sap resources too.

I saw there are some options for some type of time compensation and wondered if that might help. Are you suggesting that an even bigger buffer together with the time compensation might work better?

I don't have a lot of time but I'll see if I can track down some clues in that book you linked to.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
ivansc

Download and run resplendence.com`s excellent Latency checker, (the old one we all relied on, dpclat, hasnt worked correctly since Win7) and see if it throws up any significant errors on your system.

Initially without Reaper running, then if no significant errors show up, re run it with reaper running a project.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
mrthnmn

Thanks for that tip, Ivan. I'll definitely check that out, especially since I'm still running Windows 7.

I found another, at least for now, excellent solution. I tried recording on my old Linux laptop and it worked great with no configuration! I just have to compensate for the fixed lag time between recording and playback. I have the added advantage of being totally portable too!

We'll see how the plugins go.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #6
ivansc

Might be worth using an actual Audio MIDI interface rather than just the internal sound in yout laptop. There are quite a few affordable (circa $100) available and even the cheapies come with theior own dedicated ASIO drivers, which will transform your latency in 90% of cases. DONT bother with ASIO4ALL!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
crossthestyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthnmn View Post
Hello!

I am running Reaper 5.971 on 64-bit Windows 7, 4 GB RAM with a Scarlett 2i4 interface. I've optimized Windows per this site:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...o-on-Windows-7

I'm recording with condenser mics to a click track and trying to get the buffer size right but I can't eliminate the latency and the popping. If I record 1 mic/track with a 1024 buffer size (44.1 khz sample rate) it goes well for about 10 seconds and then starts both lagging and popping.

I thought it must be inadequate memory but it appears to using only 100 MB of RAM and 1% of CPU.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
With my interface a buffer size of 512 works better with 44.1khz, and I generally only use a buffer size of 1024 when sending tracks to the studio at 96khz. In fact the usb interface app sets the sample rate with khz by default.

There are many factors that can effect latency. Some windows versions have a set limit to how much ram it can use regardless of how much ram you actually have installed.
https://www.ricksdailytips.com/windows-memory-limits

You should also check your virtual memory and make sure it's using most of your ram. Using windows resource monitor gives you a visual.
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...itor-windows-7
Change virtual memory size: https://www.pctechbytes.com/windows-...al-memory-size

CPU!! If your cpu is a slow donkey ie. a core duo on a 10 year old desktop or cheap laptop you're very likely going to have processing issues regardless of how much ram you have. You can check what resources Reaper is using by clicking on the View Tab (top left of screen) then the Performance Meter.
Theoretically you should be running an i7 processor with 16 GB of ram for any daw. You can find really good deals on i7 (3rd generation) desktops that have been "renewed/refurbished" on Amazon. The computer I'm using to type this response cost me $300 bucks, and I haven't an issue with it in 3 years. Just make sure if you upgrade, you get a Windows 10 "Pro" upgrade NOT the "Home" version of Windows!

Another optimization checklist you can go through:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-for-windows-7

Also, Reaper will drop the sound of a track over +18db by default. You can reach that limit pretty quickly in high gain situations. Leaving some head room on the master track (-6db) can help with that. Getting your input gain levels dialed in on your interface is essential!

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your interface. AND ALSO YOUR DISPLAY/GRAPHICS CARD!

Sometimes this driver just works better: http://www.asio4all.org

Good Luck

Last edited by crossthestyx; 11-28-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: forgot something
crossthestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
kirk1701

So glad this thread exists. I never think to check buffer settings till a project starts farting out on playback (usually as I'm finishing a mix). "Okay," says I, "now I just need to get those vocals back up front." BRRRDDDDTHHHHHEEEEEERRRRPPPPPPPP...

"Nice."

Save project. Nope. BRRRDDDDTHHHHHEEEEEERRRRPPPPPPPP...

"I guess it's time to stop for the day."

Come back next day, it's fine. *Bangs head on desk.

Now that I'm at the final stages of these two particular projects, I have a lot of live processing going on, so I shouldn't be too surprised.