Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 05:23 AM   #41
Nizhny Tagil
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Nizhny, actually it is programmed in both RS5K and sfz.
I'm aware of that, but I was referring specifically to the "non-velocity" kit, the one suleiman was talking about. This one, basically:

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/2015/...16wx-suleiman/

I've searched the site and it seems to be only mapped for the Tx16wx.
Or did I miss something?

Thanks.

Last edited by Nizhny Tagil; 02-02-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 AM   #42
Goldreap

Quote:
yes, and there will also be a new snare added.
Wow, looking forward to that!
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #43
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc100 View Post
Thank you so much!!

link broken?

Installation and user Manual (both separate) for Kontakt 5 (2.1M)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8s...ew?usp=sharing

Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.
Make sure that you have the correct URL and that the owner of the file hasn't deleted it.
Yes, you're right misc100, sorry about that.

Try this one.

Installation and user Manual (both separate) for Kontakt 5 (2.1M)>>

Thanks for finding that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #44
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizhny Tagil View Post
I'm aware of that, but I was referring specifically to the "non-velocity" kit, the one suleiman was talking about. This one, basically:

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/2015/...16wx-suleiman/

I've searched the site and it seems to be only mapped for the Tx16wx.
Or did I miss something?
Aah, I missed the part about the "non-velocity" kit.

It seems to me that SMM, the guy that recorded the drums, had put them in RS5K.

Okay I found the link, this is the thread that SSM first posted these.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147296

Look a little ways down the page.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #45
RobertP

Thanks Tod
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #46
kirk1701

I have a question I could put to Tod directly, but I thought other people might benefit from the answer.

Lately when I'm loading the SFZ Track Template Individual Kit, the volume controls are not showing in Sforzando. I'm getting a huge amount of "boing" out of the toms and I want to correct it at the source. I like a drier, more leathery tom sound these days.

I've attached a couple images. The first is what I should see, the second what I AM seeing. Help?

Last edited by kirk1701; 05-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #47
TonE

Thanks and biggest respects for sharing this, to all who put their sweat and energy into it, did not test anything, but alone the idea is fantastic, so these samples could be used as test samples for experiments with filther! And anyone could try it, as everything is accessible by anyone. Samples + rs5000 + filther.

My all time favourite snare is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr30Yy3UXCc

I could listen for hours to this snare. Snaremania. Can the above kit be tuned to sound like this, using various skills and tricks?

Last edited by TonE; 03-20-2019 at 12:12 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #48
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I have a question I could put to Tod directly, but I thought other people might benefit from the answer.

Lately when I'm loading the SFZ Track Template Individual Kit, the volume controls are not showing in Sforzando. I'm getting a huge amount of "boing" out of the toms and I want to correct it at the source. I like a drier, more leathery tom sound these days.

I've attached a couple images. The first is what I should see, the second what I AM seeing. Help?
Hi kirk, sorry my friend, I didn't see this till now.

It looks like something might have happened to one or more of the files that go with Sforzando.

Probably the best way to deal with it is to completely reinstall the Sforzando SMDrums.

IF you're still having problems I'll contact my friend who programmed the Sforzando version.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #49
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
I could listen for hours to this snare. Snaremania. Can the above kit be tuned to sound like this, using various skills and tricks?
Thanks TonE, the "SMD_Snr_Str_HyB" might work but it would require some processing.

That snare you like has a nice "pow" to it and it's hard to tell how much is snare drum and how much is fX.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #50
kirk1701

Quote:
Hi kirk, sorry my friend, I didn't see this till now.

It looks like something might have happened to one or more of the files that go with Sforzando.

Probably the best way to deal with it is to completely reinstall the Sforzando SMDrums.

IF you're still having problems I'll contact my friend who programmed the Sforzando version.
Will do!

(I was fiddling with the envelopes on the toms and managed to get some sounds I liked.)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #51
Tod

Quote:
Will do!

(I was fiddling with the envelopes on the toms and managed to get some sounds I liked.)
Yeah, I'm sorry there's no ahdsr envelope control in Sforzando like with Kontakt, or maybe there is, but it wasn't programmed in.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #52
kirk1701

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sorry there's no ahdsr envelope control in Sforzando like with Kontakt, or maybe there is, but it wasn't programmed in.
There is an envelope control in Sforzando. I'm using it. But it's definitely abrupt. Kontakt is no doubt the better sampler. I simply can't justify dropping that much $ on a sampler.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #53
Tod

Quote:
There is an envelope control in Sforzando. I'm using it. But it's definitely abrupt. Kontakt is no doubt the better sampler. I simply can't justify dropping that much $ on a sampler.
I hear yah.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #54
kirk1701

Quote:
I hear yah.
On another note, which may also be of interest to users of this instrument, how would I perform/draw/paint a realistic acoustic snare roll? I've managed it on the toms, but it's still pretty robotic. Lots of clicks and drags. There has to be an easier way. (I started a thread on this, but it's probably too confusing to follow lol!)

I've taken to using my Arturia Minilab, which has a strips of percussion pads that can "sound" a roll, but recording them is another matter. You kinda have to tap the pad then slide off it to "bump-fire" the trigger. It doesn't always work. I can hit hard snare shots, tom fills, etc. But rolls elude me.

Also, should I be setting the Minilab to All Channels or just Channel 10? I saw a video recommending channel 10 for drums. No idea why. If it's a cleaner signal out channel 10, I'm happy to switch over. I also had no idea there was a drums only diamond or triangle option in the midi editor. I'm a guitar player. Mic the amp and wail is what we do.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #55
Tod

[QUOTE=kirk1701;2111395]On another note, which may also be of interest to users of this instrument, how would I perform/draw/paint a realistic acoustic snare roll? I've managed it on the toms, but it's still pretty robotic. Lots of clicks and drags. There has to be an easier way. (I started a thread on this, but it's probably too confusing to follow lol!)

Really and truly creating a snare roll is not that difficult if you have snare drum that has the velocity layers to do it. Now that depends on what you mean by snare roll. You'll need to explain a little further Kirk, have you got something special in mind. The following link is one of the SMDrums demos and it has a couple of of what I call snare rolls. Are you talking about something different.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8s...QtZzltclU/view

Quote:
Also, should I be setting the Minilab to All Channels or just Channel 10? I saw a video recommending channel 10 for drums. No idea why. If it's a cleaner signal out channel 10, I'm happy to switch over. I also had no idea there was a drums only diamond or triangle option in the midi editor. I'm a guitar player. Mic the amp and wail is what we do.
Channel 10 is the midi standard for drums, and it has no cleaner sound then any other channel. As long as the drums are responding to the channel you're using it's all good.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #56
kirk1701

That's close, Tod, but I was looking for the stuff that Ringo's doing on the off beat here:
https://youtu.be/pPuFDaPC5XM
Old 03-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #57
Tod

Quote:
That's close, Tod, but I was looking for the stuff that Ringo's doing on the off beat here:
https://youtu.be/pPuFDaPC5XM
Are you talking about the little rolls that last about a quarter note? I've never attempted them, but they might be difficult to make sound natural.

I think the drummer is letting the stick do quick little bounces off the head as he puts pressure on the stick.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #58
kirk1701

Quote:
Are you talking about the little rolls that last about a quarter note? I've never attempted them, but they might be difficult to make sound natural.

I think the drummer is letting the stick do quick little bounces off the head as he puts pressure on the stick.
That's it! I knew it was a brief bounce-back before the heavier hit.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:27 AM   #59
dukati

I've just discovered this kit and think its amazing! I absolutely love the sound of the grooves that they supplied as examples (for the reaper download at least). Are there more grooves like this made specifically for SM Drums? Most others sound mechanical in comparison
dukati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:27 PM   #60
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukati View Post
I've just discovered this kit and think its amazing! I absolutely love the sound of the grooves that they supplied as examples (for the reaper download at least). Are there more grooves like this made specifically for SM Drums? Most others sound mechanical in comparison
Where did you download the kit from dukati?

I do have these videos where I replaced the original drums with SMDrums. It was a couple of drum video advertisements another drum developer had put out. I DLed the video and replaced their drums with SMDrums.

https://youtu.be/7vhneROTFmo

https://youtu.be/CELVct47OT0

Obviously I cannot, and have not used these videos for advertising SMDrums, but you just wanted to hear more media that has SMDrums, so I thought it would be okay.

Last edited by Tod; 04-05-2024 at 07:44 PM.