Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
linoeventual
Human being with feelings

Default iCON QCON PRO DAW Controller

I want to buy iCON QCON PRO as a DAW CONTROLLER to use with Reaper 64 bits.
Anyone using it?
It's fully compatible with the software?

Last edited by linoeventual; 10-26-2012 at 12:18 PM.
linoeventual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
MesS!er35

i would like to hear about it also !
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
linoeventual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!er35 View Post
i would like to hear about it also !
Man if this work I will fully move from Cubase into Reaper for good and that would be something nice to do
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Klinke

From the feedback i got i have the impression, that the Icon Qcon Pro works fine with my extension for the Mackie Contol, when you select the Logic mode of the Qcon. So, in the case that you are running Windows (because the extension is Windows only), nothing should hinder you to fully move to Reaper.

More details about my extension can be find here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
From the feedback i got i have the impression, that the Icon Qcon Pro works fine with my extension for the Mackie Contol, when you select the Logic mode of the Qcon. So, in the case that you are running Windows (because the extension is Windows only), nothing should hinder you to fully move to Reaper.

More details about my extension can be find here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=81818
Hi Klinke,

do you have any intentions to make a OSX version of your extensions?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
ivansc

Noticed the icon stuff when I was looking around at control surfaces & bought a BCF2000 which I subsequently sol dto buy 2 nanokontrols which suoit me better.

From what I recall the icon products all seemed like more expensive versions of other peoples products. A sort of reverse Behringer?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
linoeventual

Quote:

man that's amazing, Sadly I have to buy the icon QCon Pro to test but I'm seeing it could work amazing.

Reaper + WT Imperial Skin + Icon QCon Pro should be a winner!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoeventual View Post
man that's amazing, Sadly I have to buy the icon QCon Pro to test but I'm seeing it could work amazing.

Reaper + WT Imperial Skin + Icon QCon Pro should be a winner!
i am gonna order it tomorrow... i'm sick and tired of tascam fw 1884 and their bad service

Edit:

i am on osx, i'll let you know how it went !
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
linoeventual

Quote:
i am gonna order it tomorrow... i'm sick and tired of tascam fw 1884 and their bad service

Edit:

i am on osx, i'll let you know how it went !
A friend have the Tascam US 2400 but sadly it can't be used anymore because there's no compliant driver for Win 7 or even for Mac.
A shame Tascam is not answering their customer's prayers
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
mim

Out of topic, but for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoeventual View Post
A friend have the Tascam US 2400 but sadly it can't be used anymore because there's no compliant driver for Win 7
I've been using the Tascam US-2400 with REAPER 7 x64, several hours a day since I used W7. Didn't used any hack,only the official driver.

I think it doesn't work with vista, hence the misunderstanding and the low price of the second hand devices.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
MesS!er35

some get lucky with tascam others don't. in 4 y owning fw 1884, two times pre amps, and now i have to change the main pcb ( cause that's where the fire wire chip is !?? ) wtf ??!! what kind of stupid circuitry design is this anyway?!!

i think am gonna go with some idiot prof equipment this time, because tascam has made me feel like one
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Klinke

Quote:
Hi Klinke,

do you have any intentions to make a OSX version of your extensions?
No, but Geoff created also a extension for the MCU that was ported to OSX some month ago. I think you can find it in the Stash section of the Reaper homepage.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
mim

Quote:
some get lucky with tascam others don't. in 4 y owning fw 1884, two times pre amps, and now i have to change the main pcb ( cause that's where the fire wire chip is !?? ) wtf ??!! what kind of stupid circuitry design is this anyway?!!

i think am gonna go with some idiot prof equipment this time, because tascam has made me feel like one
The fw 1884 is a poorly designed device, it doesn't work, it's fragile and sounds awfull, as probably most of tascam stuff (i e DA-P1), however the us2400 is ok
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
MesS!er35

Quote:
No, but Geoff created also a extension for the MCU that was ported to OSX some month ago. I think you can find it in the Stash section of the Reaper homepage.
OK, thanks!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
The fw 1884 is a poorly designed device, it doesn't work, it's fragile and sounds awfull, as probably most of tascam stuff (i e DA-P1), however the us2400 is ok
yes, it is.

I'm using now icon qcon pro instead, and it's f***** brilliant!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Jeronimo

Quote:
yes, it is.

I'm using now icon qcon pro instead, and it's f***** brilliant!
On a mac?? Cool!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Manight

Just to clarify MesS!er35 are you using the Qcon Pro with Reaper with Klinke plug and it's fully operational?
Do you have Qcon EX as well or just the main Qcon Pro?
Thanks in advance for your kind answers. I'm really interested in the subject because I don't want to go back to Cubase or other DAW but I'm really fascinated by the new Qcon.
Manight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manight View Post
Just to clarify MesS!er35 are you using the Qcon Pro with Reaper with Klinke plug and it's fully operational?
Do you have Qcon EX as well or just the main Qcon Pro?
Thanks in advance for your kind answers. I'm really interested in the subject because I don't want to go back to Cubase or other DAW but I'm really fascinated by the new Qcon.
Sorry to disappoint you, but icon qcon pro and reaper are not a good friends.
I am on OSX so i can't benefit from klinke plugin. This other plugin is not working for me either, even the basic transport function like fforward are a mess, not to mention advanced things like plugin mapping ( not functional at all ).

So,
in a best case,
you would use it in logic pro mod, and have basic functionality ( like track names, mutes, solos, feders, pan, transport unction).
LED level metering, time display and jog wheel are flaky.

On the other hand, icon qcon pro and Cubase 5AI that i have, are gorgeous together
It really feels like working on a hardware, you can turn off your screens and still be able to work ( well to track and mix actually ) Everything is there on your lcd screen. LED level meters, jog wheel are really smooth and joy to work with. No bugs, no hiccups or driver problems; just perfect

I have tried the qcon, with ableton live 8, and logic pro 8, it's not great, but it's ok, much better comparing to reaper.

But cubase ability to work with daw controllers is really fascinating and i would recommend that experience to anyone who is thinking to go in to controllers!

I don't understand why reaper developers are not interested in daw controller compability. It seems a such an important future to have in your DAW, you can have all the bells and whistles, but clicking around your screen with the mouse makes it so much less interesting and counterproductive.

Anyway, i'll keep on using reaper in addition to cubase, and i hope that one day reaper will enter in to my hardware world.
It is such a great DAW, it only needs some proper efforts in DAWs controllers direction, and (much) less in others

Cheers!

Last edited by MesS!er35; 12-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
MesS!er35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Manight

Thank you for your clarification. I really don't know if it's Reaper that has to add support or Icon with firmware updated but if (for example) Klinke plug could handle a smooth experience on Reaper than it means that Reaper devs could well do their part on this subject.
I really hope this will be handled any time soon from both sides since both Reaper and Qcon Pro are awasome and it's an hard choice!

Anyone using the Icon Qcon Pro on Windows with Klinke plug?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
MesS!er35

you are welcome
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #21
jerome

Hi !

Long time Cubase user here (15 years, and 12 years of being a Cubase activist), using Cubase 6.5 and planning not to go to Cubase 7 that's just been released (tired of Steinberg's crap business plan) and going the Reaper route instead.

But, I've been postponing my switching to Reaper for this very reason : the crap Mackie Control protocol support. Everything can be controlled from the QCon Pro in Cubase, almost removing the computer screen when mixing. The day I can do this in Reaper, I'm switching. For the time being, I'll keep Cubase 6.5

Cheers.
Jay
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
Manight

Should we open a feature request for this?
I think support for at least the most diuffuse external control surfaces should be a priority novadays.
For support i mean real, tested and complete support of course
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
But, I've been postponing my switching to Reaper for this very reason : the crap Mackie Control protocol support
I take mild offense to that, and I don't want to speak for Klinke, but I think he might too

Watch this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJ8e4-p_y4
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
Manight

You are right Klinke did a superlative job! (even if in his last release the support per expansions is missing if I'm not wrong).
The point is that no one yet has real hands-on experience with reaper+klinke plug+qcon pro (and/or qcon ex)

Edit: I'm just trying to say that a native support for control surfaces, instead of leaving it to the userbase creativity and spare time, would be a welcome addition (or base feature really)

Last edited by Manight; 12-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
I take mild offense to that, and I don't want to speak for Klinke, but I think he might too

Watch this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJ8e4-p_y4
reaper mcu protocol support IS crappy.

i hate having to use cubase, but i have to, or should i put my controller in the closet?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
MesS!er35

Quote:
Should we open a feature request for this?
I think support for at least the most diuffuse external control surfaces should be a priority novadays.
For support i mean real, tested and complete support of course
yes! how do we do that?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesS!er35
Do you mean that the DLL's that Klinke and I modified / coded are crappy or are you referring to the stock DLL ?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Do you mean that the DLL's that Klinke and I modified / coded are crappy or are you referring to the stock DLL ?
i mean DLL is totally unuseful for OSX, so from my point of view controller support from reaper is nonexistent (aka crappy). unlike cubase

and otherwise i like reaper( more than cubase), that is way i have a hard time leaving it, but i would miss my controller more than some exotic daw futures ( which i will miss to, by the way..)

but anyway, it doesn't matter.. almost everyone seams to be ok with the fact that controller support is waaay down on developers list of priorities

edit:

and, yes, this plugin someone made for him self is not working for me, which i didn't except either, so, yes, it is crappy in that department also ( for me)

one more edit:

if i can help somehow to make the reaper crappy controller support less crappy am willing to do so. but ii am a musician and not a coder, that could be a little problem..

Last edited by MesS!er35; 12-10-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
Manight

Of course MAC users are screwed, that's why I insist that a better native support for control surfaces novadays is an important part of the base software and cannot be left to skilled user developers.

Now I'm (luckly) on Win, so Geoff the latest version of the dll doesn't support extenders right?
I saw in your vid you have MCU, do you think QCon Pro would behave exactly the same?
Any Cubase user can confirm that is using QCon Pro as an MCU emulation? (this would be positive for Klinke dll even without hands-on tests since with MCU it works great)

EDIT: ofc I think you did a so awesome job (like Padre with Novation) that you really deserve some economical benefit in form of donation or everything else. I don't understand why Reaper developers wich are so "responsive" don't get in touch with you to integrate in Reaper native CSurf so that they can take on the development and expand/fix where needed

Last edited by Manight; 12-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
Klinke

Quote:

i hate having to use cubase, but i have to, or should i put my controller in the closet?
Or boot windows on your mac.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #31
Klinke

Quote:
Any Cubase user can confirm that is using QCon Pro as an MCU emulation? (this would be positive for Klinke dll even without hands-on tests since with MCU it works great)
You can try to contact sqby, he has an QCon Pro and uses my extension.

Quote:
I don't understand why Reaper developers wich are so "responsive" don't get in touch with you to integrate in Reaper native CSurf so that they can take on the development and expand/fix where needed
The Reaper developers were very responsive whenever i needed an extension in the API do add some features. Something that would be impossible if you try this from a big company. But for my extension i can answer, why they don't integrate it into Reaper: The extension is based on the JUCE framework, and is not using the Cockos framework, so they would need to link another framework into Reaper which is totally unfamiliar for them. I wouldn't do this in their situation neither.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
Manight

I understand.
Tanks as always Klinke, I'll try to contact sqby to see how is it going
Also I contacted a guy on Gearslutz wich forwarded request for a better integration with Reaper to Icon and I also contacted italian Icon official reseller who also will forward the request to Icon (Icon producer is italian so maybe they will understand better the request... lol!)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #33
MesS!er35

Quote:
Or boot windows on your mac.
i would, but my mother won't let me
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #34
Guido

Quote:
I understand.
Tanks as always Klinke, I'll try to contact sqby to see how is it going
Also I contacted a guy on Gearslutz wich forwarded request for a better integration with Reaper to Icon and I also contacted italian Icon official reseller who also will forward the request to Icon (Icon producer is italian so maybe they will understand better the request... lol!)
hi,

Ai fatto bravo signorino.^^ I hope it all bears fruit.

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
MesS!er35

Quote:
Any Cubase user can confirm that is using QCon Pro as an MCU emulation?
Yes, i can cubase AI 5. it's integrated 100 %

on MAC (running OSX)
Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #36
MesS!er35

Quote:
The extension is based on the JUCE framework, and is not using the Cockos framework, so they would need to link another framework into Reaper which is totally unfamiliar for them. I wouldn't do this in their situation neither.
you wouldn't do it either on their place? so there is something to be done after all. I'm just saying, it doesn't have to be done, but than the reaper native controller support stays crappy.

Last edited by MesS!er35; 12-10-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #37
Jeronimo

Isn't Klinke's extension ported to mac?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #38
MesS!er35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Isn't Klinke's extension ported to mac?
nope.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
Geoff Waddington

Seems to be some confusion between the 2 Dll's so I'll try to clear it up:

Klinke -- Support for MCU but not extenders
Wadd -- Support for MCU and extenders

Klinke -- Custom Plugin Mapping using MCU
Wadd -- Custom Plugin Mapping using C4

Klinke -- Button section set up to Klinkes view of control flow
Wadd -- Button section set up to Wadd's view of control flow

Klinke -- PC
Wadd -- PC and Mac

There are more dfferences but those are the ones that seem to generate the most confusion.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #40
sqby

Hi - sorry Manight for having you to wait so long for reply - i did not get any notifications via email . And I would like to say hi as this is my first post on this forum.

Also I would like to thanks A LOT Klinke for making great job on his mcu plugin. And he was really helpful when asked in private messages.
The folder mode is brilliant for my workflow switching between group/tracks views using one key.

In my studio I am working on QCON ICON PRO on Windows 7 x64 - it works like a charm. You have to remember to set it up to Logic mode. Things that do not work and I'd love if they did:
most important - writing send automation via faders - that would be great. You can control sends via faders, but can't write the automation.

One more thing which makes me want to contact German dealer of Icons to send the Qcon pro + EX combo to Klinke for some time, and get with few colleagues of mine to donate some money for Klinke - is to get the version 0.8.4 to work also with EX. Getting to work QCON PRO + 3 EX on Reaper would be something I am craving for...

best regards,
sqby is offline   Reply With Quote