Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #81
inarisound
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgM View Post
To be honest, I think this thread should be in the bug report section. It's not really a feature request since the midi editor view doesn't work properly.

absolutely agree on this one!

Midi Editor is a nightmare in Reaper... once it would be fixed/improved it would be such a great DAW!

Now every single time I open Midi Editor I start crying and my eyes somehow become red and proceed bleeding. My tears and blood mix together creating this painful and unbelievable misery feeling. The next thing I know, when I take a breath I feel like air is heavier than metal bars on construction sites... breath in breath out and am no longer cautious.

Maybe I should go check a doctor... but it only happens when I open Midi Editor in Reaper tho.
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #82
Arthur McArthur

Big +1 on this. Having to resize/zoom the MIDI editor window every single time I open an item is a big inconvenience atm
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #83
foxAsteria

While I do think this needs a fix, it rarely bugs me anymore since I tend to work with either short items or time selections, so I can hit tab to zoom all notes or shift+tab to zoom to notes in time selection.

It should be automatic, but sometimes tweaking your workflow a bit goes a long way (like setting the zoom actions to easy hotkeys).
Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #84
thevisi0nary

Bumping this, please make this happen.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #85
inarisound

keeping it alive guys... keeping it alive
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #86
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I noticed something here.

When one MIDI editor per project is active, and these options enabled:

Active MIDI item follows selection changes in arrange view
Selection is linked to editability
(Optionally) Selection is linked to visibility

Then if you zoom out enough to see multiple items, zoom is preserved as you select different items for editing... that is UNTIL you select an item that is outside the MIDI editor viewport, which Reaper then messes up and zooms into the selected item, instead of just scrolling to it!

Another problem is that depending on item selection, and probably also contributing to the problem here: Reaper simply truncates the MIDI editor ruler - for example, if you have a bunch of items, and you select items starting from bar 20, you can never scroll back to bar 1 in MIDI editor after that! This "ruler truncation" also happens if you use horizontal scrolling action - even if the ruler wasn't truncated automatically when selecting a different set of items! That's pretty bad (and also not something that happens with the main arrange view - so why can't MIDI editor behave the same?)...

Seems like a relatively simple thing to fix - just SCROLL to the items, never ZOOM, and while at it, also NEVER truncate the ruler! After all, arrange view has a stable zoom level as last one used is remembered, and even when selecting different items from Project Bay, it just scrolls to the one you selected, instead of re-zooming into it!
Yes, lots of people have complained about this. The auto-zoom behaviour to items outside current view is awful.

I made a bug report thread about it ages ago...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=180610

A bug report because auto-zooming might be what the program does, but it can't be intentionally designed specifically to auto-zoom 1/2 bar or 1000 bars to fit the screen if the user clicks on something. It makes the MIDI editor feel like it's under the control of an annoying goblin at times.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #87
TonE

Not sure if this helps, here something I am using for some time, it just zooms to all notes in the item.

Paste into a file 'toggle_midi_editor_and_zoom_to_notes.eel and put into Scripts directory.
PHP Code:
function toggle_midi_editor_and_zoom_to_notes()
(  

Main_OnCommand(407160); // Main toggle show midi editor windows

active_MIDI_editor MIDIEditor_GetActive(); // Now the MIDI editor is opened -> get MIDI editor ID

MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor40746); // ME action: Edit: Select all notes in time selection

MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor40725); // ME action: View: Zoom to selected notes/CC
);

toggle_midi_editor_and_zoom_to_notes(); 
The only problem I remember was the vertical zoom, might not be always perfect, but ok, better than having nothing.

Psst, some secret tip how to bind this action, coming from Jeskola Buzz way of cool mapping, RETURN from pattern edit to sequence edit and RETURN back. In arrange window RETURN will trigger above, here the line if you are using vimper.
PHP Code:
OpenMidiEditor 40153

['<cr>'] = runAction(OpenMidiEditor

Then in midi editor RETURN will trigger closing window. Here the line if you are using vimper:
PHP Code:
  ,['<cr>'] = MidiEditor.runAction(MidiEditor.CloseWindow
This way you can navigate around in arrange window between items, hitting ENTER for midi editing, hitting ENTER again for leaving editing, back to arrange. Navigate around, ENTER, ENTER... could it be simpler?

Or try this instead:
PHP Code:
function open_in_midi_editor_and_zoom_to_content()
(  

Main_OnCommand(401530); // MAIN section action 40153: "open selected item in MIDI editor"

active_MIDI_editor MIDIEditor_GetActive(); // Now the MIDI editor is opened -> get MIDI editor ID

MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor40466); // ME action: "zoom to content" 

MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor40468); // ME action: "zoom to one loop iteration"
);

open_in_midi_editor_and_zoom_to_content(); 

Last edited by TonE; 11-01-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: better colors using php instead of code
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #88
snooks
Banned

Thanks, but the issue isn't about zooming to notes or zooming to a fixed zoom level, it's about Reaper not damaging the current zoom level. I've tried scripting a solution, but nothing I've tried works.

The funny (not ha ha) thing about this is that this auto-zoom behaviour was added to the notation view, which was previously unaffected.

The MIDI editor zoom is far from ideal for people who want zoom to fit between 0% and 0.05% of the time, not automagically on item select.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #89
TonE

Ok, just tested a bit around.

Now I am using this:
PHP Code:
OpenMidiEditor 40153
-- Time selectionSet time selection to items40290

['<cr>'] = runAction(40290OpenMidiEditor
This combination seems to be most reliable. However there can be problems:
-if you select only a single item

But if you select more than a single item, so the screen needs to readjust, then it does its job perfectly. It seems one has to force Reaper to update its screen. Whenever Reaper decides 'not to update anything', then the zooming behaviour is not optimal, it just uses something, but not what we asked for. I discovered OpenMidiEditor is dependent on time selection, so I do always a fitting time selection before opening the midi editor.

Just a few comments from my side. Probably from time to time we have to investigate again which is the current best combination of available actions.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #90
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
... it's about Reaper not damaging the current zoom level.
Well, ok, for me, I just want to see all notes in the selected items as my items are not 10 minute items. Not sure how big your items are. And I am using 's' frequently to split items at mouseover.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #91
snooks
Banned

It's not just about how big they are, but how small too. Auto-zooming in on a 0.5 bar item or a 2 minute long item is equally undesirable. 0.5 or 1 bar items for percussion/FX is kind of standard issue. Having very big and very small items is very normal too.

When making the mistake of clicking on an item/track with item that's outside of the current view the enormous change to the view to something you'd never do manually is very unwelcome and actually a bit jarring.

Just make zooming manual please. No auto-zoom. As an option.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #92
TonE

It does not make sense talking of details, without knowing your exact workflow*. If you still can not find a working custom action combination, then you are doing something wrong.

I did a licecap recording, however it is bigger than 64kB, the gif limitation in this forum, do not know who set such a small limit for gif uploads, it seems sharing useful gifs is not wanted in this forum. So everyone has to find out themselves.

* For example how often are you entering and leaving midi editor? Are you spending your most time in arrange view or midi editor? Are you doing your most navigation in arrange view or in midi editor? Are you splitting your midi items in arrange easily and frequently? Splitting and glueing frequently is not forbidden.

Last edited by TonE; 11-02-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #93
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
It does not make sense talking of details, without knowing your exact workflow*. If you still can not find a working custom action combination, then you are doing something wrong.
No, you're wrong. This is definitely a pain point, and no script or a set of custom actions is helping it. I have outlined where the problem EXACTLY lies (along with a GIF, too), and what exactly causes it. It just needs to be fixed so that it doesn't do it (or at least does it optionally, but it should really never do it, it should just work logically, because right now it's not logical at all):

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=79

Quote:
it seems sharing useful gifs is not wanted in this forum.
So upload it to imgur then paste the link here.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #94
TonE

Evil, your workflow is wrong. So change it.

Quote:
I noticed something here.

When one MIDI editor per project is active, and these options enabled:

Active MIDI item follows selection changes in arrange view
Selection is linked to editability
(Optionally) Selection is linked to visibility

Then if you zoom out enough to see multiple items, zoom is preserved as you select different items for editing... that is UNTIL you select an item that is outside the MIDI editor viewport, which Reaper then messes up and zooms into the selected item, instead of just scrolling to it!

Another problem is that depending on item selection, and probably also contributing to the problem here: Reaper simply truncates the MIDI editor ruler - for example, if you have a bunch of items, and you select items starting from bar 20, you can never scroll back to bar 1 in MIDI editor after that! This "ruler truncation" also happens if you use horizontal scrolling action - even if the ruler wasn't truncated automatically when selecting a different set of items! That's pretty bad (and also not something that happens with the main arrange view - so why can't MIDI editor behave the same?)... Also, this truncation happens regardless of MIDI editor timebase - it should NEVER happen in "project beats" or "project time" timebases - they are supposed to show the whole project's timeline, just like they do in the arrange view!

Seems like a relatively simple thing to fix - just SCROLL to the items, never ZOOM, and while at it, also NEVER truncate the ruler! After all, arrange view has a stable zoom level as last one used is remembered, and even when selecting different items from Project Bay, it just scrolls to the one you selected, instead of re-zooming into it!

Here's a GIF explaining the above happenings. I hope schwa sees this and comments (right-click->"View image" to see fullsize)...

Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #95
EvilDragon

That's a rich thing to say. My workflow is not wrong, Reaper is bugged at these settings, it's simple as that.

This workflow is perfectly normal especially when working with dual monitors. So if you don't like that, go somewhere else, don't tell me to change MY workflow, I certainly am not saying you should change yours. Accept that Reaper is bugged here, is not perfect, needs fixing, and move on. Don't lecture me.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #96
TonE

I lecture you.

Here my imgur, thanks for the suggestion.

Further tip: I assigned ENTER also to my Razer DeathAdder side button, back button, so I am always in a thumb click distance for editing any midi item from arrange, same thumb click to return back to arrange. It works as you can see in this image. Now you can keep your workflow and complain here. For me these are improvement areas:
-vertical zooming so a few notes are free on top, e.g. 5 notes empty lines at top, similar as emacs can do when using Control-l
-single item selections do not behave optimally

Last edited by TonE; 11-02-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #97
EvilDragon

Respectfully, you are completely missing the point. So your lecture is useless, and quite frankly disrespectful and completely diminishing the VERY REAL issue Reaper has, and which was showcased time and time again.

What you show there is absolutely useless for the kind of work I, and many others, do (which is: arrange view on one monitor, MIDI editor ALWAYS OPEN on another monitor. No switching between arrange and MIDI editor with a shortcut - both are ALWAYS OPEN). Not just that, it's in fact slower, and it still doesn't solve the issue outlined in the thread. Which is again, very real, it exists, and it affects certain workflows. And no, the solution is not to change the workflow, the solution is to FIX THE ISSUE.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #98
TonE

Quote:
... MIDI editor ALWAYS OPEN ...
Reaper does not behave here nicely, just use a working way until Reaper improves the way you are dreaming about.

We are talking about, thumb click or not here. For all other readers, who did not read everything above. Plus, Evil prefers wasting space on his second monitor by keeping it always open for the midi editor. Yes, wasting choices are not forbidden. Having Reapers action power, then not using it, is also not forbidden.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #99
EvilDragon

Oh cut the crap please. My second monitor uses multiple things depending on what screenset I'm using. I have MIDI editor and mixer on it at all times, because that's how I work. No space is ever wasted.

Again you are sidestepping an important issue and this is not cool. For many, the issue is real. Stop diminishing it. I am not alone in this, this is not the only thread that mentions the issue, it's existed even before MIDI editor was possible to stay always open. So yes, stop preaching to the choir and sidestepping the real issue here.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #100
TonE

Title says: 'Midi Editor', yes we are talking about it.
Then 'Remember last used zoom', hmm, why one would want this? Usually I only want to zoom to the items I want to edit, not remembering anything.
Then 'Stable default zoom', hmm, my image above behaves quite stabelly, select two or more items, bam, you zoom exactly there, always.

Just shared this solution strategy here.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #101
EvilDragon

Yes, what YOU usually do is not going to be identical what SOMEBODY ELSE might want to do, especially with the options to show all project MIDI in MIDI editor, and linking visibility/editability with arrange, and using multiple monitors, etc. You work completely differently to what's outlined in the thread, hence you completely miss the point on where the issue lies, hence you're preaching to the choir, and annoying the lot in the process. Just don't do it, please stop.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #102
snooks
Banned

Well said ED, I do get the eagerness though and the desire to solve things through scripting and minor workflow changes.

I'd like auto-zoom and auto-scroll both being options. I've said this possibly literally a hundred times though.

Hopefully with the dark lord ED on side this might get attention.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #103
TonE

Did you explain your workflow reasons anywhere? I would like to learn from others.

Are you editing mostly notes? Note adding, moving, deleting.
Or are you editing lots of cc? And which of both more? Why you need to keep the zoom setting constant? Why is zooming to selected items perfectly not good enough?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:35 AM   #104
EvilDragon

Quote:
Why you need to keep the zoom setting constant?
Because zoom level is always constant in the arrange view? It doesn't change when selecting different items, it only changes WHEN YOU TELL IT TO? So arrange and MIDI editor should behave the same when you have both of them displayed at the same time? You know, logical things. This is why just zooming to selected items is not good enough, and your suggestions completely missing the point.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:52 AM   #105
inarisound

up. never give up.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #106
EgM

Quote:
Did you explain your workflow reasons anywhere? I would like to learn from others.

Are you editing mostly notes? Note adding, moving, deleting.
Or are you editing lots of cc? And which of both more? Why you need to keep the zoom setting constant? Why is zooming to selected items perfectly not good enough?
All the other DAWs (Logic, Cubase, DP, Sonar, StudioOne) don't mess with your midi editor zoom levels, horizontally or vertically, you're saying ALL the other DAWs are doing it wrong? Maybe you just dabble in simple midi clips where you don't have to see a stable 1/16 notes-4/4 view but some of us are doing complex work with CCs and velocities and the current zoomed to clip view does NOT work.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #107
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Why you need to keep the zoom setting constant? Why is zooming to selected items perfectly not good enough?
Zoom level is not constant, it varies. It just must not move from where we manually set it.

Zooming to a 0.5 bar item that contains one note to that one bar fills the screen when you click on a track in the Track List is useless behaviour. Same with 32 bars or whatever. Especially when you then have to noodle your way back to the previous position and zoom level.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #108
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Zoom level is not constant, it varies. It just must not move from where we manually set it.

Zooming to a 0.5 bar item that contains one note to that one bar fills the screen when you click on a track in the Track List is useless behaviour. Same with 32 bars or whatever. Especially when you then have to noodle your way back to the previous position and zoom level.
i am not sure if this is related , but there is a behaviour which personally annoys me a LOT.
The last position i zoomed or adjusted in the midi editor is altered many times when close it. I still didn't say anything about this because i assumed i am doing something wrong, but maybe it is builded this way. If so it's BIG annoying .
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #109
thevisi0nary

Is there really a debate about this? This post has continued to stay strong since 2011 (SIX years of complaints), because of how blatantly absurd it is to not remember the zoom on the midi editor. Having to re-zoom in every single time you exit the piano roll on one instrument is nonsense.

I am trying to have faith that this will be addressed in Reaper 6.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #110
snooks
Banned

Yes, hopefully the or friendly neighbourhood devs will get round to it soon. Maybe next Tuesday afternoon or thereabouts.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #111
snooks
Banned

Only 35 minutes left until Tuesday afternoon, EST. Excitement builds...
Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #112
EgM

Pretty sure it's not going to happen... This thread has been created 6 years ago
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #113
EvilDragon

Stranger things did happen, like FRs being added after 7-8 years...
Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #114
ivansc

Funny - I have got so used to dealing with this and getting on with my life, it almost doesnt irritate me any more. ALMOST!

But I really wish the devs would take some notice of all the flak that has been generated on this exact subject over the years.
Yes, Justin and Schwa, we know it isnt much fun to slog through stuff like this but it would make so many of us SO happy if you could give it a little attention.

Don`t make me send the Licking Llamas your way again, Justin!"
Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #115
heyhellosup

Bump.
heyhellosup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #116
juliansader

I would speculate that the reasons why these FRs have never been implemented, is that
1) the FRs are vague, and
2) there appears to be disagreement among the users about the ideal implementation.

AFAIK, zooming works as follows in current (v5.62) versions:

When a take is made active (not merely editable) in a MIDI editor, REAPER will store its last-used zoom settings in the item's state chunk, and *should* (if there isn't a bug) recall those settings when re-opening the take in a new editor.

However, when multiple items are opened simultaneously, REAPER can't know which take's zoom level to recall, so the editor will zoom out to fit everything into the editor. (The devs probably intended this as the safest option, since it is easier to zoom to the intended edit position than to scroll.)

When switching the active take while working in an existing MIDI editor, the stored zoom settings will be ignored, and the editor instead tries to keep the horizontal zoom and edit position constant.

However, if the newly activated take does not overlap with the current editor viewport, REAPER (as above when opening multiple items) can't guess where the intended edit position is, so it zooms out to fit the entire take in the editor window.

I wonder if these two FRs would satisfy everyone:

* When opening multiple items simultaneously, recall the zoom settings of the clicked item (which will in any case become the active item of the new editor).

* When switching the active take to a take that falls outside the current MIDI editor viewport, recall the last zoom settings of that take (instead of automatically zoom-to-fit).
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:11 AM   #117
EvilDragon

Ideally there should be just this option: disregard stored zoom level in the take, use current viewport values at all times.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:48 AM   #118
ivansc

I think the most crucial part here is that regardless of what else anyone might want, NOBODY in their right mind wants the MIDIeditor to open a track for editing at a zoom setting thazat is so extreme that the whole track is crammed into a space about an inch wide at the extreme left hand side of the edit window, which is what appears to be the default behaviour right now.

I have got into the habit of just clicking on the expand arrow and holding it down until I think it might be out to a usable resolution, but then of course you have to scroll across from the end of the file (where the "expand" action sends you - also a pain) to actually see what resolution you expanded to and then adjust again.

Hadnt really thought too much about just ho wmuch of a total pain in the ass this is till I started writing this.
Since we know Justin has started exploring MIDI of late, I cant believe he is happy with having to do this.

I am hoping that someone on here has a slightly less ham fisted way of doing this with things as they are, but not really expecitng anything that does significantly better.
Even bloody Sonar does it better.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #119
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I am hoping that someone on here has a slightly less ham fisted way of doing this with things as they are, but not really expecitng anything that does significantly better.
I have to admit that (despite sometimes commenting in these threads) the zooming issues don't really bother me. I have a "Zoom to 3 measures at mouse cursor" script linked to Z, so whenever my MIDI editor suddenly zooms out, I simply move the mouse to where I want to edit and with one click, I am there.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #120
snooks
Banned

What about when it zooms right in to a bar, at an unknown location somewhere maybe 25 bars ahead or behind and all context is lost?